Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Keyless Entry Remote Was Stolen :(

BarryIQ

As title, someone broke into my gf's car and stole my bag along with my IQ keyless remote/key.

Got a quote from Mr.T last week and I was shocked as they are charging me 700pounds for the transponder remote + key cut + labor to set it up.

Anyone know what I can do to make it cheaper?

I am wondering if any transponder remote will work on IQ and if I can do the setup myself.

Certainly it will be great if I can get the remote outside that look exactly the same as the factory default one...

As title, someone broke into my gf's car and stole my bag along with my IQ keyless remote/key.

Got a quote from Mr.T last week and I was shocked as they are charging me 700pounds for the transponder remote + key cut + labor to set it up.

Anyone know what I can do to make it cheaper?

I am wondering if any transponder remote will work on IQ and if I can do the setup myself.

Certainly it will be great if I can get the remote outside that look exactly the same as the factory default one...

Barry,

I think you are going to be out out luck. The iQ transmits 3 short range radio signals. One from either side of the car and one from the boot area.When your key fob gets into range in one of those area's, the fob receives the signal and transponds with the appropriate code and allows access, Which is why, if you are at the drivers side and your girlfriend at the passengers side, even though the fob is within range she cannot open the door because the fob was not detected on her side and can only get in when you open the door your side. A safety implementation. Likewise if there are 2 of you and you walk away from the car, your girlfriend can not lock the car for you , you either have to be within range of one of the radio signals with the fob of operate the fob manually over a normal fob range as with most cars..It may be possible to code a fob to manually lock and unlock the car, But you won't be able to start it. When I took the start switch apart during my LED change, you can see the transponder in the switch and circular aerial around the front of the switch.This is definitely the unit that transponds with your fob and allows the car to be started because I left one end of the aerial de-soldered to see the effect. I suppose its possible to press the button on an ordinary correctly coded fob whilst pressing the start button,but I don't know if the transponder in the start switch, "poles" the fob at intervals in the journey. If it does you wouldn't be able to do it as you would never know when that request was and know when to press the button again..I suspect it doesn't because it would greatly reduce the life of the fobs Battery.How you would get the code for the new normal key fob from MR T I don't know.

P.S If you are going to pursue using a normal fob, It can be found if the fob continuously 'Polls" by getting out of the car with the engine running and walk a short distance away out of range for say 5min to see if the car switches off. If not then the manual fob with the correct code may work

Hope this helps

David

Barry

Probably as rare a rocking horse poo

So on a new car they give you 2 fobs. Are they saying then car keys on a new car are £1400 massive Pee take.

If you do find one you can program it by holding up to the start switch and going through the programe instructions. I tested the polling theory for you this afternoon and ran my car and sat distance from it and it didnt switch off after 10mins. So the ordinary fob may still work

David

Not sure if your in the UK but might be worth telling your insurance your key has been stolen, if she had any addres details in the stolen bag the thief might try their luck getting the car? Thats what I would be worried about!

Hi Barry

In the UK at the moment modern cars are not easily stolen... the scroats now burgle the house and nick the car keys so they can take the car - often nothing else is stolen!

I suspect you may be better getting Mr T to do the new key for you, you may find that they re-program the whole setup so the original key will not work - ie the scroats won't be able to nick the car with the original key 'cos it won't work!!

:thumbsup:

Ha Ha

Thats the difference between the attempted engineering solution and the practical one's which are usually the easiest .. Funny how we look at our world

David

Thanks for the testing David, as well as the input from everyone else :)

I don't have full insurance for my car, tried to claim the key alone with other items through home content but they won't accept it :(

My best bet will be waiting for someone to crash their IQ (Sorry to say that!) and put their IQ key on eBay. Or hoping these people will check the forum then we can negotiate the price for their remote lol.

At the moment I am also trying to negotiate with Toyota in China... god knows they might be selling them in half price :P

Barry I just had a look on eBay have a look at this item number Item number: 110731746494

David

OP, think long and hard whether it is worth getting a replacement fob. I presume your first worry is that the car will be taken? How long ago did this happen, what else was taken in her bag, where were you when the bag was taken and how far from home, and is there a link to your address?

99.9% of bag thieves are low level scum who will be looking for quick cash and stuff they can sell online. They are not normally car thieves and in 9 times out of 10 will ditch the car keys and forget about it.

It is very unlikely that your car will be stolen, car thieves don't tend to look to IQ's for cars to steal as they are not useful to them and hard to shift on the blackmarket. It is even more unlikely that someone has taken the bags soley to obtain the car keys.

Well my input to the Topic was purely to assist technically of the possibilities to program an old style fob or acquire a replacement like for like one for him to program. Hence the last posting. I made the assumption that BarryQ had worked out the circumstances of the loss and that his home and car were not at risk i.e no link to them. If this is not the case then as you say its a different ball game.

David

Thanks David, that damaged IQ on eBay is very useful :)

By the way I am not concern about my car being stolen. The key was stolen about 700km away from my car... and even if the key was stolen right next to my car, I don't think the car thief will consider stealing it because my car is quite unique here... I am pretty sure I am the only one with that model and colour in my city lol.

I have misunderstood, thought that was the point of the thread. That's a lot of money for a key fob!

Barry

There is a mobile number associated to the eBay one worth a quick call i would think.suppose it is possible that whoever was in it got a lucky escape and left it to be recovered and kept the key in their pocket

David

Am I right in thinking the OP has had their working key to their current car stolen and they just want to replace the key?

Surely this is a major security risk... if the car was stolen with the key, you might not be covered by you're insurance :-s

Barry. Its up to you. Rememember, the ecu will already be paired with the fobs. I take he has 2 of them? You could sell one after disconnecting the Battery in it. Or you could pair them with your car. You could sell the ecu and locks. I have known many people to pay £250 for replacemeny fobs with the dealer. Personally i see it as a lucky break

David