Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Just Lost Drive

kevinf

hi folks

first time ive posted a topic here!

but the wife 03 plate D4D rav just got towed home courtesy of the rac, has the title says NO DRIVE

the clutch pedal feels ok and gear selection feel ok,but when selecting gear and letting the clutch out it feels like its taking up drive until I try to drive away then nothing,can also hear a tinny rattle from the bell housing so guess the clutch plate centre has broken up!!!

so looks like i am taking out the gearbox this weekend! so what sort of job is it?? can i do it on the drive,does the main box and transfer box come out together or seperately,do i need to remove the front drive shafts from the gearbox or can i peel back the inner rubber boots a pull the drive shafts out of the drive members,plus any other tips/advice

many thanks in anticipation

kevin

hi folks

but the wife 03 plate D4D rav just got towed home courtesy of the rac, has the title says NO DRIVE

the clutch pedal feels ok and gear selection feel ok,but when selecting gear and letting the clutch out it feels like its taking up drive until I try to drive away then nothing,can also hear a tinny rattle from the bell housing so guess the clutch plate centre has broken up!!!

so looks like i am taking out the gearbox this weekend! so what sort of job is it?? can i do it on the drive,does the main box and transfer box come out together or seperately,do i need to remove the front drive shafts from the gearbox or can i peel back the inner rubber boots a pull the drive shafts out of the drive members,plus any other tips/advice

kevin

oops Kevmin...sounds like DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) has given up the ghost....not a cheap affair I fear. Plenty of posts hereon re DMF problems so have a wee search...good luck.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

And another oops if as you say it was towed home,but the reccy boys would/should know better than that!

Del

hi folks

more help needed just started to take the box out got as far as removing the rear prop shaft and the output shaft housing from the front diff/transfer box,but the output shaft as stayed behind and i cant imagine how the g/box can clear the sub frame and steering rack with the shaft still in place,nothing has broken yet and would like to keep it that way!

kevin

Kevin

Type in the fast reply box at the bottom until you get used to it!

The transfer box stays on and you have to take that big cross member off. It still looks like it won't come out but it just clears. You will need a lift in and out. Get a third person to pull the drivers side drive shaft back (it is very long) and feed it back in as you lift the gearbox back. The transfer box will just hook around the bell housing when you are nearly all the way back in.

IMG_0112.jpg

This might help;

gearbox removal.pdf

• Like 1

hi anchorman

thanks for the reply, actually got the box out saturday afternoon just took me a long time to realise that the suspension sub frame had to come off and that it came off so easily,also i decided to remove both drive shafts completely and i removed the anti-roll bar from the sub frame the nuts on the link rods looked a bit too rusty to come undone with out shearing

btw what oil do you put in the main box, the transfer box filler plug states 85/90 but the g/box filler plug is not very clear?

cheers kevin

The oil spec is shown in the service data sheets at the top of the RAV page :thumbsup:

thanks for the prompt and helpfull as ever reply

g/box is back in, went for the SMF option unfortunately had a mis-app with clutch pedal being pressed whilst the slave cylinder was unbolted from the bell-housing and had a hell of a job bleeding the hydraulic system so first question what is the small square housing mounted directly above the slave cylinder and piped into the hydraulic circuit and second question has any else fitted a Smf conversion kit and did they notice if it altered the feel of the clutch pedal?

cheers kevin

The little block is an accumilator which is there to step up the output force of an otherwise standard slave cylinder for the VVTi engine. Its a !Removed! to bleed and you sometimes do better to bleed the outlet pipe then the slave cylinder.

accumilator.pdf

The clutch tends to feel lighter and maybe bites near to the bottom.

you star :thumbsup:

it does bite near the bottom, but does clear nicely and gear change doesnt seem to be effected its just the bit of perceived travel on the pedal before you feel any hydraulic resistance thats worrying me, but has i drive a proper landrover i,ve got used to a clutch pedal that makes your calf muscles burn when in stop/start traffic,so maybe i am imagining a problem thats not there :unsure:

cheers kevin

Hi Kevin.

Yes it did feel a bit spongy at the top but I got somebody to bress the top inch of firm (not the very top half inch of free play) while I watched the lever and it did move so it is just down to the diaphragm spring.

Funnily enough, the RAV I did the clutch in belongs to a doddery old fool (sorry mate) who swears by his old LR. I have driven Fodens from the 60s that were nicer to drive.

Hi Kevin.

Yes it did feel a bit spongy at the top but I got somebody to bress the top inch of firm (not the very top half inch of free play) while I watched the lever and it did move so it is just down to the diaphragm spring.

Funnily enough, the RAV I did the clutch in belongs to a doddery old fool (sorry mate) who swears by his old LR. I have driven Fodens from the 60s that were nicer to drive.

Off topic, but did you ever drive the three wheel Scammel Don? Were they called the Scarab,but I seem to remember they altered the body and gave them a new name.

Del

They used to be called a "Mechanical Horse" before the "Scarab".

The "Townsman" followed in later years with the modernised fibreglass cab.

Phil

Can Anyone tell Me how to write the theme tune from the Last Of The Summer Wine .................................. :lol: :lol:

Wee Charlie.

EEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee When I weeeere a Lad .................

They used to be called a "Mechanical Horse" before the "Scarab".

The "Townsman" followed in later years with the modernised fibreglass cab.

Phil

Hi,Phil

I'm very much obliged to my learned colleague,me Lord, as Rumpole of the Old Bailey would say! :thumbsup:

That's another one for you to find,Charlie,you young whipper snapper and lets have a bit more respect :yahoo:

(Not yet :wheelchair:)Del

Anyway those three wheelers were not "proper" Scammells.

Proper ones look like the one we used to own below.

DDT-32-AND-BILLY-BOY-01.jpg

Phil

to get back on topic

I bled the clutch up to get the best pedal i could then used the car for the last few days and gradually the pedal as improved,so obviously some trapped air as worked its way out!

so the wife gets here car back,i get the drive my beloved landrover,the cycle to work was killing me :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links