Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Change Indicator Bulbs For Led?

Tx2

Just changed the number plate lights for a bright white LED; would like to change the orange indicator bulbs next, but although I have the correct fitting of LED bulb, they either flash really fast (telling me there is a faulty bulb?) or in the case of the front ones, not at all! Any ideas?

I was going to get some Philips Silverlines (or whatever they were called) but they are discontinued and I can't find any replacements.

The LED's I fitted were 7440 type, description on invoice is : 15 LED BULB T20-3156/7440 W21W WEDGE

Like I say, they fit, but the rear just flash very fast, and the fronts not at all.

Hating the orange bulbs in there.... looks like a couple of eggs!

You'll need resistors, if it's even possible to fit LEDs. For indicators, I always go for silvatec bulbs as there's no issues.

Hello

Think you may havw posted twice

The thing to remember, for the LED lights to work and flash at the right speed,the resistance of a normal bulb is part of the load calculation. If you sit in a car and one of the indicator bulbs has gone the rest flash faster. A lot of the LED replacement bulbs have a parallel resistor to load the circuit to the same as a normal bulb and the high impedance LED is across that. on my car I found a local

car shop that stocked the silver coated one's like the philps one's

David

You'll need resistors, if it's even possible to fit LEDs. For indicators, I always go for silvatec bulbs as there's no issues.

I suspected it would be something along the lines of what you say as being the problem.

Oh well, £10 wasted on LED's.... I'll go with a Silvatec ones.

Thanks.

Hello

Think you may havw posyed twice

The thing to remember, for the LED lights to work and flash at the right speed,the resistance of a normal bulb is part of the load calculation. If you sit in a car and one of the indicator bulbs has gone the rest flash faster. A lot of the LED replacement bulbs have a parallel resistor to load the circuit to the same as a normal bulb and the high impedance LED is across that. on my car I found a local

car shop that stoched the silver coated one's like the philps one's

David

Thank you for the advice David.

No idea why my question seems to have appeared 3 times?

Hello

David

You could try soldering a 560ohm @1/4 watt resistors across each of the LED bulbs you bought. you can get them from maplin. On eBay they do LED bulbs that are already modified to compensate

David

Hello

David

You could try soldering a 560ohm @1/4 watt resistors across each of the LES bulbs you bought. you can get them from maplin. On eBay they do LED bulbs that are already modified to compensate

David

Thanks David... do you have a link for the eBay item? I'm not entirely sure what I'd be looking for.

TX2

A indicator bulb is 21 watts @ 12v which = 1.75Amps This is what is represented in the circuit on each bulb Running the Hazard lights draws 7-8 Amps from the Battery. Hence in an emergency you see people by the roadside running the lights, and when the roadside assistance turns up the Battery is nearly dead. Anyway That 21 watts @ 12v = 571ohms resistance. So a preferred shop value is 560 ohm Although looking at it, it would require a 2watt resistor not a 1/4 as i said before which would be rather large to folder across the LED.

David

The other thing to remember for staying legal is the light output from the original 21watt bulb. Is it the same as the LED one's you bought

David

Have a look at this item link 280465788950 on eBay. There is a mention of "canbus" which is linked to the problem your having. It does have references to 21 watt but It does say that if you are suffering these problems then they do supply a "load" resistor which I have spoke about.

Good luck

David

• 6 years later...

I've just changed my front & rear indicators for LED to match the mirrors - added 0.5w resistors in parallel for every bulb - access to the rear with torch and soldering iron was not easy but definitely a lot brighter and looks better too. Only upgrade to LED now is to change the reverse & fog lights then done.

I've fitted LED HIR2 headlights / LED 501 sidelights / LED 585 indicators / LED H11 front fog lights / LED 501 number plate lights

28 minutes ago, iq_london said:

I've just changed my front & rear indicators for LED to match the mirrors - added 0.5w resistors in parallel for every bulb - access to the rear with torch and soldering iron was not easy but definitely a lot brighter and looks better too. Only upgrade to LED now is to change the reverse & fog lights then done.

I've fitted LED HIR2 headlights / LED 501 sidelights / LED 585 indicators / LED H11 front fog lights / LED 501 number plate lights

Pictures and links for where to get them please.

1 hour ago, iq_london said:

OK, but third party LED bulbs aren't legal for use externally in the UK.

5 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

OK, but third party LED bulbs aren't legal for use externally in the UK.

Mine has passed a recent MOT with LED bulbs fitted and personally I believe it looks so much better and with brighter fog, brake and indicators it's a lot safer. Having a LED reverse light also helps see where you're going.

Still not road legal in the UK, whether it has passed MOT or not. Reversing lights aren't part of MOT.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links