Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Noise...

Norfolk n Chance

Ok folks, bit of a hard one to describe a noise on a forum but here goes....

Had this noise for the last week or so.... imagine going 'ooooo' in a low voice and that's the noise i'm getting from what sounds like the front wheels...

Obviously it gets louder with speed, there's no steering wheel wobble but i can feel the vibrations coming through the peddles...

It's not tyres, as they've plenty of tread and my car passed it's MOT this week with flying colours...

So... can anyone think of any obvious causes??

Hey,

Sounds to me like the plastic under tray or wheel arch liner is loose and flapping onto the body, or something coming off or caught up on the aux belt..?

A ghost gaz!!

we all know what your like with money.

This one is probs the ghost of xmas past (just abit early)

Ooooooooooooooooooooooher missis!

Sorry Gaz it may be time to have that wallet surgically removed from your pocket!

It might just be a slight case of wind..................around your air intake.

I was going to say wheel bearing? have you tried loading up each side of the car at speed? what I mean is have you tried turning left the nright to see if the noise gets worse on one side or the other? If for example the left wheel bearing is on its way out when you turn right it should make more noise and when you turn left there should hardly be any noise as its not under load.

get a video or something. I would say your description was crap but realistically I don't think I could have done much better :rolleyes:

just the response I'd expect from a southerner that breaks his car when he's meant to be fixing it :P

I would go with wheel bearing as well. Try jacking it up and move the whee up and down to see if there are any movement. Oh be sure to use an axle stand as well

I've just fixed what I believe was the same problem.

Firstly jack up the offending side. or both if its more convenient. Place your hand on the shaft of the strut and have a buddy spin the wheel. If a vibration is felt 'in' the shocker then this is symptomatic of a wheel bearing failure, although there is no movement in the wheel when grabbed at 12 and 6 o'clock. My Avensis started to develop this problem over a year ago. I thought initially that it felt and sounded like a wheel bearing and checked it accordingly. As time progressed I noticed a slight chatter or knocking that accompanied the growl or buzzing noise. The vehicle passed all MOTs with no advisories. But developed into a noise and feeling of imminent failure (somewhere). I'd been to garages and asked advise, to no avail. If your car also has the start of a subtle knock or vibration then you could also have a failing cv joint or atleast 1 that needs it grease changed and refreshed. Grab the drive shaft on the offending side and jiggle it 'UP' and 'DOWN' if movement is noticed then determine whether its from the inner or outer joint. Have outer cv joint replaced and renew the grease in the inner. Really pack the joints with cv grease. Also if you have not cleaned the joints thoroughly and some old grease remains then this will make the new grease turn into a thick oily substance which will not have the viscosity to support your joint and essentially hold the weight of (with help from other parts) your engine and will eventually make your engine mounts begin to fail. All of these parts work together and if 1 part begings to fail and is allowed to continue failling then the other parts that help suspend the engine and distribute the front end weight down and out, through the tyres, to the ground below, will begin to fail with increasing deterioration rate.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links