Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Vs Rivals - Oh Dear.

BassaJay

The motoring press usually don't report well on Toyotas. I read Auto Express, Autocar and Top Gear, and, of the three, Autocar is worst for mis-reporting. For example when Autocar had a 'first drive' in the last generation Yaris 1.33, the article described the older 1.3 engine and missed the six speed gearbox. I e-mailed them pointing out the unfair report, but no corrections were made.

I've seen this all before. The only way to find out about a car is to have a look and test drive yourself. These reports should be treated with the contempt they deserve. They have to write something to justify their jobs, and it seems as if they are like sheep, and follow the croud. Its quite sad really

• Like 1

I've seen this all before. The only way to find out about a car is to have a look and test drive yourself. These reports should be treated with the contempt they deserve. They have to write something to justify their jobs, and it seems as if they are like sheep, and follow the croud. Its quite sad really

I have to disagree most strongly with the above, sheep are much more intelligent, watch them roll an their backs to get across a cattle grid. No motoring journalist could think of that.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Seems a very balanced rep[ort to me. I'd just love the Yaris to be top, but I can't disagree with anything they're saying....

Do these motoring writers run down other makes of car as much as they seem to Toyota. I would agree that all cars have have some negative aspects but when they say a Kia or Suzuki and other lesser makes are better value than a Toyota sometimes is going too far. I´ve not driven the new Fiesta only the previous model, which I had for 2 years!!!! To me there is no comparison to my 2011 Yaris. Auto Express does seem somewhat biased to the new Fiesta.

Regards. Pete.

It's hard to say not having tried all of them.

I know the current Fiesta is a really nice car to drive; The steering isn't over assisted like the Yaris and they've got the handling spot on without having to make the car overly stiff, which sounds like what's happened in the new Yaris (The Mk1 and 2 are super comfy and have some of the best suspension setups for rough city roads, but they do wallow about like fat piggies when cornering :lol: I think Toyota tried to address this complaint, but have stiffened it too much, either that or they should go back to 14" rims :lol:).

My main problem with the Fiesta is that I just have no confidence in its reliability or Ford's servicing competency. I know first hand that they try to add things to the service to bump up the cost.

The new Suzuki Swift is another stealth good car; Don't hear much about them but they're pretty nice to drive and seem pretty reliable.

A surprise car was the Hyundai i10 which a friend of mine got recently; I generally have a poor opinion of Hyundai but it was surprisingly good. Cheap and cheerful, but comes with a lot of actually useful things for the price. Found it very gutless compared to my D4D, but considering it's a 1.2L petrol unit it didn't too too badly. Suspension is surprisingly good and took speed humps better than I thought, Handling is okay but is a bit over-assisted for my liking. The clutch is !Removed! awful tho'; Very hard to feel the biting point and I stalled it a good few times :lol:

I'd say I found it nicer than an Aygo but not as fun; It has the same high-centre of gravity problem as a Yaris (But also the same high viewpoint advantage!) so you can't throw it round corners like you can an Aygo :P

I want to try a Mazda 2 at some point but like Ford they're a bit touchy about test drives unless they think you will actually buy one!

(And I'd never sell my ickl Yaris :wub: Well... unless I can get a decent part-ex for a 5-door one! :lol: )

I'd say I found it nicer than an Aygo but not as fun; It has the same high-centre of gravity problem as a Yaris (But also the same I want to try a Mazda 2 at some point but like Ford they're a bit touchy about test drives unless they think you will actually buy one!

(

I went to a Mazda dealer and had no problem having a test drive. They let me take the car out with my wife without a salesman. I was able to give it a really good test and was very impressed with it.

I swore that I would never get another Ford after my Seirra rotted away in only a few years !

I have got a 2010 1.33 and like the handling better than the MK2 D4D that I had

Miss the old car tho it seemed more nippy but it was too small for me (I'm quite tall and found it got uncomfortable

on a long trip) the new one is perfect can sit in it all day :thumbsup:

Pete

Just bought this week's Autocar as its got a full road test of the Yaris this week. It wasn't even a group test - it was a ful test of the Yaris, but the summary said that all its rivals are better overall...

Again - to me it seems a balanced report - it says the Yarios is OK, but its just another run-of-the-mill car and has lost the sparkle and individualism that made the first Yaris great.

There's nothing wrong with it - but it doesn't "star" in any area - every rival is at least as good in all areas and better in some.

Its sort of reveted to the old days when Japanese cars were equated to "white goods". Technically, nothing wrong with them, well built and excellent garage support - but with no individualism, nothing that stands out as excellent - just an anonymous bland tin box - like a washing machine....

It'll get good sales from people who just want a quality tin box, but for someone who wants driving satisfaction, style or something that makes them feel good when they're sat in it or driving it, then the solution will have to be elsewhere....

This months What Car has a group test including the new Yaris. Their judgement. First Ford Fiesta, 2nd Volkswagen Polo, 3rd Kia Rio,last the Yaris. There conclusion is that the Yaris has- Woeful interior plastics, Poor driving position, Jiggly ride and too much engine/ wind noise etc.

What Car seem to have an obsession with V.W. (and B.M.W) so the dull Polo coming second is no surprise, but I really hope that Mr T has not got it wrong again and produced an inferior new model. Time will tell.

I'm just waiting for the HSD; I'm hoping they take advantage of the extra torque the electric motor can provide when they set it up as the cars has the potential to have strong performance and economy at the same time, and combined with the new Yaris' stiffer suspension setup, it could be quite a sporty number while also being capable of high mpg :D

That's the thing I love about my Mk1 D4D; I can shift late and abuse the torque from the diesel engine and the turbo charger for high acceleration and speed, or shift early and get the high mpgs :)

It's nice to have a car that lets you have your cake and eat it too :D

This months What Car has a group test including the new Yaris. Their judgement. First Ford Fiesta, 2nd Volkswagen Polo, 3rd Kia Rio,last the Yaris. There conclusion is that the Yaris has- Woeful interior plastics, Poor driving position, Jiggly ride and too much engine/ wind noise etc.

What Car seem to have an obsession with V.W. (and B.M.W) so the dull Polo coming second is no surprise, but I really hope that Mr T has not got it wrong again and produced an inferior new model. Time will tell.

We test drove a new SR back in August as part of some Toyota customer research thingy and it really disappoints me to have to agree with the What Car review. The new Yaris drives no better than our '09 SR, it's ride is harsher, it's noisier, and it's just plain nasty to sit in. The dash and door plastics look like they have come from a 10 year old Transit, and moving the instraments from the centre has wrecked the "Yaris feel" completely. IMHO, Toyota have reduced the new Yaris to just another Japanese tin box!

Sorry guys... Dave.

Again - to me it seems a balanced report - it says the Yarios is OK, but its just another run-of-the-mill car and has lost the sparkle and individualism that made the first Yaris great.

problem with that is that they never found first Yaris great. or 2nd one.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links