Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Had To Be Done...

mcchunkers

traded in my compressor for a golf gt sport tdi 170. i've have had it for over 2 weeks now, and in my opinion, it's twice the car. it pulls a lot harder in-gear, is a lot more refined and i've just clipped over 500 miles to a full tank. as much as i loved my compressor, i just couldn't keep up with the maintenance/fuel bills. also, it wasn't hitting lift at all, and when mr t doesn't charge you for a full inspection because they know something's up and they can't find out exactly what it is, you know it's better to get rid of it. i convinced the wife we should change to a torquey diesel and we haven't looked back. to be honest, the compressor served it's purpose with me anyway, i loved it's high-revving nature and it's ability to blow away most competition, but i'd grown out of racing about like a maniac. so it was time for a change...

thanks to everyone who ever gave me advice and helped me out in times of need.

Stephen.

It is a shame that such a nice car gets hamstrung by the running costs. but that is one of the nice things about diesels; You get the torque of a more powerful petrol engine but not the running costs :D

in the real world you have made a great decision yes.gif

remap the golf and you would get better performance and maybe better fuel economy and the golf will become a even better diesel hot hatch :)

i wouldn't mind a golf tdi 170 or a lean tdi 170 or even the a3 tdi 170 laugh.gif

Toyota should have put the 2.2 d4d 180 in the corolla e12 as i don't like the auris

anyway best of luck with your new ride mate thumbsup.gif

to be honest, i don't really need more power - the 260lb/ft of torque is good enough for me at the minute. if i finally get bored of it, i'll get her remapped, but for now, i'm just happy taking it easy and cutting my fuel bills down by 2 thirds lol. thanks for the replies guys...

Shame your moving on but needs must.

Did you trade your comp in?

yeah, it had a few problems and i thought i'd be better trading it in and letting the trade try and sort it instead of selling it and having the new owner batter my door down once he's realised it's a lemon. got a half decent price against the golf, and decided it was for the best. the savings on fuel bills alone will cover the cost of the repayments, and when it comes to shifting it on, it'll be ten times easier to sell...

the advantage of the rolla was that its a more exclusive car being rare and i bet it sounded better with the supercharger whine but you had to make a decision as needs must

thank god someone finally bought a vag 170 tdi and loves it, other than me! front mount intercooler, freeflow exhaust removing the nasty dpf and a good remap will see you easily past 210 and you will wonder why you didn't sell your compressor earlier!

thank god someone finally bought a vag 170 tdi and loves it, other than me! front mount intercooler, freeflow exhaust removing the nasty dpf and a good remap will see you easily past 210 and you will wonder why you didn't sell your compressor earlier!

if the dpf gives me any hassle, i'll get it removed and install a remap, but as for now it's fine - i drive a fair amount of carriageways and country roads so i can regenerate it no problem. the intercooler will be a real bonus during the warmer months, the compressor ran like a bag of nails if it was anything over 18 degrees centigrade ffs...

Well mate hope you have better luck with your new car. I personally think your comp must of been bad since day one and thats the reason with the faults. Or it was ragged to the floor the day it came of the assembly line. At the end of the day them engines are bullet proof. If anything the problems i thought would be with the charger since its the only add on apart from suspensions and exhaust. Saying that the only problems i've heard of with the charger is oil going low. So the car itself isn't a *crap* car if you get what i mean. The only stupid thing is half of the compressor parts arediscontinued :@.

Well mate hope you have better luck with your new car. I personally think your comp must of been bad since day one and thats the reason with the faults. Or it was ragged to the floor the day it came of the assembly line. At the end of the day them engines are bullet proof. If anything the problems i thought would be with the charger since its the only add on apart from suspensions and exhaust. Saying that the only problems i've heard of with the charger is oil going low. So the car itself isn't a *crap* car if you get what i mean. The only stupid thing is half of the compressor parts arediscontinued :@.

mate, my compressor was like new when i picked her up 2 and a half years ago. i rarely ragged it, and i looked after it like it was my own child ffs. it was a great sleeper car, and i adored hammering wee scroats at the lights in their 'souped-up' corsas etc... it even kept up with cars that you'd think would be a hell of a lot faster (gave an r32 an almighty fright one afternoon). i loved it when it was on form. the sound from the exhaust i had on it was outstanding and i wish upon wish that i had've recorded a drive-by video just so i could have shown you's all what the big deal was. unfortunately, after a while, things just started to go wrong. so wrong that i was advised by 3 different mechanics (including mr t's very own - off the record of course lol) to get rid of it while the going was good. i'd had enough, and i just thought i'd trade her in. there would have been a time when i would have investigated every possible avenue to find a 'cure', but the car had demoralised me to the point where i just thought it was 100% completely not worth the hassle any more.

the golf is a far better car, in my opinion. yes, it's early days, but it's a hell of a lot more comfortable and easy-going. i've actually started to enjoy driving again, and that has made all the difference.

anyway, i'll probably still browse the forums - maybe even to advise the unlucky person who picks my old compressor up lol.

anyway, cheers for all the help people...

i drive a fair amount of carriageways and country roads so i can regenerate it no problem.

ahh in that case dpf shouldn't give you any problems...best of luck with your new motor :)

Its a shame you had so many problems with, all the best with your new motor :thumbsup:

By the way, vags are for !Removed! :lol:

By the way, vags are for !Removed! :lol:

Hahah! How original :P

Incidentally has anyone ever bothered to observe the age of other corolla drivers? in my area they are either all really old and wrinkly or they are private hire drivers, really puts me off my corolla even though i enjoy driving it.

Hahah! How original :P

Incidentally has anyone ever bothered to observe the age of other corolla drivers? in my area they are either all really old and wrinkly or they are private hire drivers, really puts me off my corolla even though i enjoy driving it.

Most corolla owners round here are pensioners, it just adds to the sleeper value of my car :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links