Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

St205 Low Speed Clunking

Dax

Hi all,

I havent posted anything on here for a while and im not sure this topic is in the right section but...I have a serious issue with my gt4.

When driving at low speed in a straight line or on a corner the car clunks and bangs but its definately not a suspension noise as ive had and repaired various noises on the suspension.

You feel this through the hole car and it doesnt feel good at all. When speed is increased it all feels normal and i would say that its between 10&20MPH. The noise does follow any sort of of repetion but the clunks happen randomly in quick succession. it is hard to explain but would a faulty diff give this sort of fault.

It does feel like the issue lies up the front end of the car. I was going to jack the car off the ground and run it in first gear and listen under the car for any signs of where its coming from but i havent had a chance today!

Any ideas plz help

Dax

doubt very much the front diff.

I would pay special attention to the figure eights and any ball joint on the super strut suspension

I would pay special attention to the figure eights and any ball joint on the super strut suspension

when you drive it and watch the wheels you can see they dont move smoothly, they jump with the noise.obviously i had someone drive the car and i was stood watching :wacko:

when you drive it and watch the wheels you can see they dont move smoothly, they jump with the noise.obviously i had someone drive the car and i was stood watching :wacko:

possibly crush tubes, if you havent changed them put in competion crush tubes TCB sell them

thanks for the reply Aderiley,

I have replaced these crushed tubes a while ago and that was due to a different sort of clunking. that was mainly when i hit the brakes.

But I jacked up the car this morning and got all 4 wheels up. started the car and put it in gear. 3 out of 4 wheels are spinning. the front drivers side remains staionary unless you physically stop the passenger side front wheel. is this what you should expect???

The other 3 wheels appear to spin at the same speed? :ffs: :wacko:

you have an lsd on the rear but not on fromt so sounds about right, give the crushtubes a tweak, mine need retightenting after a cpl of months as i had low speed clunk, check the roller top mnts as well, ball joints can cause a similar clunk but you really need to get under with a crowbar check figure of eights a/r dop links.

you have an lsd on the rear but not on fromt so sounds about right, give the crushtubes a tweak, mine need retightenting after a cpl of months as i had low speed clunk, check the roller top mnts as well, ball joints can cause a similar clunk but you really need to get under with a crowbar check figure of eights a/r dop links.

ill get under the car again tomorrow ill give everything a wobble with a crow bar and see if i can feel anything. Thanks for the advice and ill feed back any findings

Sound like the superslut to me! Recommended to be changed every 60000 miles :-( it's very common on st205 and to replace the whole lot costs around £800 £1000 depending where you buy the parts! Fensport do it but I believe it's around £1500 Inc labour :-0 so you would prob be better doing it yourself if you can!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links