Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cam Cover Sealing

vmax1

Dearest All,

My old faithful '99 GS (7A-FE engine) has developed an oil weep at the filler cap end on the top of the cam cover. I have retorqued the domed nuts but it still continues to weep oil in that area. Before I investigate further, can anyone tell me if the cover washers have a "rubber" lower washer and are these oil filler caps prone to failure? (I can't see anything in my old haynes Carina manual)I ask because I'm not sure if the weep's coming from/through the cap or through the washers. The top of the cap seems to have a film of oil on it too. I have flipped the filler cap O Ring but it has made no difference. There doesn't appear to be a problem with the mating faces of the cover to the head.

Any help is appreciated.

Vmax1

Dearest All,

My old faithful '99 GS (7A-FE engine) has developed an oil weep at the filler cap end on the top of the cam cover. I have retorqued the domed nuts but it still continues to weep oil in that area. Before I investigate further, can anyone tell me if the cover washers have a "rubber" lower washer and are these oil filler caps prone to failure? (I can't see anything in my old haynes Carina manual)I ask because I'm not sure if the weep's coming from/through the cap or through the washers. The top of the cap seems to have a film of oil on it too. I have flipped the filler cap O Ring but it has made no difference. There doesn't appear to be a problem with the mating faces of the cover to the head.

Any help is appreciated.

Vmax1

hi mate

photo of weeping spot please.

Cheers

hi mate

photo of weeping spot please.

Cheers

See attached. Unfortunately I had wiped this earlier this afternoon but there is usually a small amount of oil laying in the recessed area of the domed nut & misting on the plastic filter(?) behind the cover. Also a film of oil on the other side of the cover is evident.

Thanks, Vmax1.

See attached. Unfortunately I had wiped this earlier this afternoon but there is usually a small amount of oil laying in the recessed area of the domed nut & misting on the plastic filter(?) behind the cover. Also a film of oil on the other side of the cover is evident.

Thanks, Vmax1.

post-6110-0-56132000-1317575029_thumb.jp

Hi Vmax1,

Replace the cam cover washers, and check thew breather pipe. Look around the engine in case the oil is being blown from the another area. Is the cam cover seal perished?

Is the oil is regularly changed and has the right amount? Too much oil will cause internal engine pressure. Old oil and thinner grade than recommended will give you similar problems by leaking.

Remember your car is 12 years old and the rubber seals may have harden. When the engine warms up and cools down the now harden rubber seals, are not flexible enough to keep the tight seal.

The cam cover bolts only have 1 seal each.

Another problem is that you have an internal engine seal problem. Hopefully not.

Vmax1, you right about calling the 7AFE 'Old faithful'. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Vmax1.

----

in case you do regulary remove an oil -- this means your engine suffers from gases penetrating into the sump. secondly a breathing pipe must to have a brush piece (oil separator) inside to catch an oil drops and to prevent their suction in suction manifold. sometimes when this brush piece got blocked/clogged -- no breathing effect is available in engine and the same effect (you have now) is available. now you have two enemies: possible blocked oil separator and cylinder wear down. Cheers/Igor

----

in case you do regulary remove an oil -- this means your engine suffers from gases penetrating into the sump. secondly a breathing pipe must to have a brush piece (oil separator) inside to catch an oil drops and to prevent their suction in suction manifold. sometimes when this brush piece got blocked/clogged -- no breathing effect is available in engine and the same effect (you have now) is available. now you have two enemies: possible blocked oil separator and cylinder wear down. Cheers/Igor

Thanks Igor.

I have changed the oil regularly, with filter, since I owned this in '03 with 38K on. It now has 83K. It's been so reliable & trouble free that I can't bear to spend about £6-7K for something with more miles on & probably more hassle /cost!

I think it may be the sealing washers on the cover beneath the domed nuts. I had a new cam belt fitted earlier in the year and I guess that they just replaced the gasket for the mating faces.

vmax1

Vmax1,

I think you may have found the answer to your own question.

Get a replacement nut washers and hopefully that should be it.

I have owned my car since 03 too. It has it's quirks, but the service I get from it is brilliant.

Can you imagine buying another car and getting problems after 8 years. I know what you mean about your old faithful.

Kon :thumbsup:

I've just found out why it's weeping !!!

It would appear that this one nut has been overtightened and the casing has cracked around the hole/spotface! I guess that this was done by some monkey when I had my cambelt replaced and they must have known as there was some dried up gunge around the crack/spotface area! Trouble is that as I had the belt fitted back in May I can't prove it. I'm now looking for a s/hand cover to do the job properly myself :censor:

That's another garage to strike off my ever decreasing list!!!!!!!!!!

vmax1

Vmax1,

You have found the fault and now you have to locate a cam cover.

In reality your old faithful is reliable, but as you said, some 'monkey' did some damage and covered it up!

A couple of years ago, I decides to change my front wheel bearing myself, because I did not trust any garages plus I could do it myself - got my own press! Not long after, a member of this forum came on to say he got a garage to change a wheel bearing and they damaged the ABS! When he got the car back the ABS was on showing a fault. It turns out that a 'monkey' had damage the bolt or thread and and fitted a bigger bolt that misaligned the ABS sensor on the axle carrier. I am not sure if and how he got it resolved.

I think a good garage should be honest and if handling a different car for the first time, check for correct procedures and if the owner has any advice, take it on board. Also seek advice when not sure. Not fudge a job which costs owners more to fix.

Vmax1 I hope your list of garages struck off is not too long.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links