Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T3 2008 Or Tr 2009 ?

Apixie

Hi newbie here,

I'm looking to purchase my first Yaris. There are two on the table at the moment both 1.3 -3-dr VVT-i

2009 TR - 32k on the clock and a 2008 TR with 15k on the clock. I'm upgrading from an R reg Mica (so either is going to be a vast improvement) price difference is negligible between the two. Does anyone know which is better value? I can't seem to find anything definitive on the T2 T3 TR SR / Year specifications.

Neither comes with a stereo that has an AUX port though which I will have to change. I'm aware that this is probably an entirely different matter but can you change the stereo in a Yaris? - I have a kenwood which should work but not sure about the centre mount etc.

Thanks in advance

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

Are both cars definitely 1.3s? In 2009 they facelifted the car and replaced the 1.3 with a new 1.33 and fitted a six speed gearbox though I have seen 2008 cars with 09 plates. I have a 2008 car, a 1.3 TR and can honestly say you're gonna end up with a fantastic car. I'd say as long as they're both the same value, I'd opt for the 2008 car as that has lower mileage though to be honest these cars are still sweet after a distance - mine's got 32,000 on it and isn't showing its age. Better value with lower mileage.

As far as I'm aware, the standard stereo fitted to the cars are unique to the vehicle although I think it MIGHT be interchangeable though don't quote me on that. There may be someone on here who's replaced theirs. An AUX socket was an option when you ordered a car new though there's a manual to help with fitting one as a DIY job. Cars from the 2009 facelift came with this as standard on the TR grade up.

TR grade was sold alongside and then replaced T3 in the range; with TR you got alloys whereas T3 cars came with steel wheels with wheeltrims. T2 is the basic spec.

Hope this helps

At some point in 2009 the TR range lacked some of the basics of the 2008 TR. I believe that some of them had steel wheels, less airbags and some other minor items.

There was some discussion on this topic around about the year 2009. Try searching for this site around that time.

Hi and welcome to TOC :thumbsup:

I have a 2008 Yaris TR and I must say, I love it :yahoo: it really is the best car so I just have to recommend it. Its my second Yaris,my first was a T3. If you want to compare the specs and other details you can look up http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?navRoot=toyota_1024_root&edname=newUsedCar&zone=Zone+Used+car+search&id=used_cars

Even if you are buying the car privately/from a non-Toyota garage,its a handy tool to give you all the details about the car you want. I'm sure it must have a comparison tool to let you compare different grades of Yaris.

Could be better to go for the one with the lower mileage. Do any of them have a full service history?

Edited by Lorna2

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

Are both cars definitely 1.3s? In 2009 they facelifted the car and replaced the 1.3 with a new 1.33 and fitted a six speed gearbox though I have seen 2008 cars with 09 plates. I have a 2008 car, a 1.3 TR and can honestly say you're gonna end up with a fantastic car. I'd say as long as they're both the same value, I'd opt for the 2008 car as that has lower mileage though to be honest these cars are still sweet after a distance - mine's got 32,000 on it and isn't showing its age. Better value with lower mileage.

As far as I'm aware, the standard stereo fitted to the cars are unique to the vehicle although I think it MIGHT be interchangeable though don't quote me on that. There may be someone on here who's replaced theirs. An AUX socket was an option when you ordered a car new though there's a manual to help with fitting one as a DIY job. Cars from the 2009 facelift came with this as standard on the TR grade up.

TR grade was sold alongside and then replaced T3 in the range; with TR you got alloys whereas T3 cars came with steel wheels with wheeltrims. T2 is the basic spec.

Hope this helps

Hi, and thaks for the welcome :)

Ah... made a slight error the 2009 is TOYOTA Yaris 1.3 VVT-i TR 58 plate - 17" alloy wheels. The 2008 is 2008 Toyota Yaris 1.3 VVT-i T3 does not say what type of wheels are on it - however the 2008 has much lower mileage. I'm thinking it may be worth going for the 2008 unless the 2009 is a far superior vehicle. The 2009 is £200 more so I suppose the real question is - is it worth it?

I may have to try and think my way around the AUX issue though.

At some point in 2009 the TR range lacked some of the basics of the 2008 TR. I believe that some of them had steel wheels, less airbags and some other minor items.

There was some discussion on this topic around about the year 2009. Try searching for this site around that time.

Thanks, i'll have a look around

Hi and welcome to TOC :thumbsup:

I have a 2008 Yaris TR and I must say, I love it :yahoo: it really is the best car so I just have to recommend it. Its my second Yaris,my first was a T3. If you want to compare the specs and other details you can look up http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?navRoot=toyota_1024_root&edname=newUsedCar&zone=Zone+Used+car+search&id=used_cars

Even if you are buying the car privately/from a non-Toyota garage,its a handy tool to give you all the details about the car you want. I'm sure it must have a comparison tool to let you compare different grades of Yaris.

Could be better to go for the one with the lower mileage. Do any of them have a full service history?

Hi and thanks for the welcome :)

Oops made a slight mistake the 2008 is a T3 the 2009 is TR. The 2009 has had one owner acording the advert. How does the T3 and TR compare to each other? I'm going the give the TR dealer a call tomorrow to discuss the AUX issue as it may be included as standard on this model ???

As others have said check the airbags as some TR models lost the curtain and knee airbags. If they both have the same/ similar equipment just decide which colour you like best :)

In 2007 and 2008, the T3 and TR were very similar specs (identical apart from maybe some shiney boot lid trim) except that the TR had 15" alloys and the T3 had 15" steel wheels.

In 2009, the TR suddenly lost its alloy wheels and had steel-wheels instead. Then later in 2009, it got its alloys back but at that point it lost its curtain & knee airbags (which meantt it lost its 5* NCAP safety rating). Then later still, it got its airbags back again.....

You mention that the 2009 car has 17" alloys .These were never standard on anything except the 1.8SR, so they are an accessory fit and may not be genuine Toyota alloys....

You certainly could bin the radio because some models have a different centre console with a "standard double-DIN" hole in the middle so you could fit that centre console instead - but that seems an awful lot of work. If it was me, I'd look at the accessory cables that you can plug into the back to connect an iPod or other device into the "cd-changer" connection on the back of the existing radio.... That's what many people have done....

2009 car might have aux-in as standard. They didn't in 2008 but that was added at some point after that.....

In 2007 and 2008, the T3 and TR were very similar specs (identical apart from maybe some shiney boot lid trim) except that the TR had 15" alloys and the T3 had 15" steel wheels.

In 2009, the TR suddenly lost its alloy wheels and had steel-wheels instead. Then later in 2009, it got its alloys back but at that point it lost its curtain & knee airbags (which meantt it lost its 5* NCAP safety rating). Then later still, it got its airbags back again.....

You mention that the 2009 car has 17" alloys .These were never standard on anything except the 1.8SR, so they are an accessory fit and may not be genuine Toyota alloys....

You certainly could bin the radio because some models have a different centre console with a "standard double-DIN" hole in the middle so you could fit that centre console instead - but that seems an awful lot of work. If it was me, I'd look at the accessory cables that you can plug into the back to connect an iPod or other device into the "cd-changer" connection on the back of the existing radio.... That's what many people have done....

2009 car might have aux-in as standard. They didn't in 2008 but that was added at some point after that.....

Thanks for the info. I'll probably look towards the 2008 T3 then. If the 17" alloys didn't come as standard they sound more trouble than they are worth and someone has been "customising" it a little. Will have a look at ways to connect an ipod to the stereo too. Yaris ownership here I come :)

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update.

Just wanted to say thanks for all your help. I pick up my 1.3 2008 T3 Yaris on Thursday :yahoo:

Quick update.

Just wanted to say thanks for all your help. I pick up my 1.3 2008 T3 Yaris on Thursday :yahoo:

Hope you have many happy miles of motoring with it. :thumbsup:

Hi great choice of car , had mine for around a month , got to fight the mrs to drive it, she has parked her mazda 3 up on the kerbside and keeps stealing the yaris D4D T SPIRIT !

Quick update.

Hi Amanda and welcome to TOC. The T3 is a good choice as you get all 9 airbags as standard, just a question though, are you purchasing your car through a Toyota dealer? If so, ask them if the car has had the modification (under warranty) to the gearbox (selector shaft) as this model year some cars suffered with 'crunchy' gear selection especially when cold. If not insist on the mod or it will completely ruin your driving pleasure. Other than that I'm sure that you'll be very happy with your new purchase.

Quick update.

Hi Amanda and welcome to TOC. The T3 is a good choice as you get all 9 airbags as standard, just a question though, are you purchasing your car through a Toyota dealer? If so, ask them if the car has had the modification (under warranty) to the gearbox (selector shaft) as this model year some cars suffered with 'crunchy' gear selection especially when cold. If not insist on the mod or it will completely ruin your driving pleasure. Other than that I'm sure that you'll be very happy with your new purchase.

It's not a Toyota dealer. Scoda have purchased it from mobility and the previous owner had it from new. It had a recall for the accelerator but I can't see anything having being done about the gear box, however having had a Micra with a terrible gear box the test drive was fine and the gears seemed smooth and engaged first time starting the engine from cold. Will watch out for it and have a word with the dealer beforehand. Thanks for the heads up.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links