Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

To Buy Or Not To Buy?

Dan Brown

A neighbour of mine as a 1.0 2000 model (W reg) Yaris 3 door with a seized engine. she has offered me £200 for it and I am tempted by the offer but I want some further info. Firstly what do people think on these cars. Would I be able to insure myself in one easily and is it worth me shelling out on a new engine and restoring it. The car is in mint condition only done 60000 miles body work is immaculate etc.

The main question is how much would an engine cost? and should I buy a toyota?

Moved to the Yaris Forum :thumbsup:

Hello Dan and welcome to TOC

The 1.0 litre Yaris is an excellent first car to own as the insurance for a new driver should be relatively low

Yaris's are generally prety reliable and hopefully you will be able to either get the engine repaired or replaced without to much problem

Good luck with it all if you decide to go ahead!

You have at least found the right place for advice and help :thumbsup:

Hi and welcome to TOC :thumbsup: I can say that the Yaris is a great car,I'm on my second one and have found them both to be far better than other cars I've had before. You say the car you're thinking of getting is in mint condition,except for needing a new engine, at least it needs no other work. You'll get plenty of advice from those who know how to do such things to help you along if you're able to able do such work yourself. The Yaris has low insurance and road tax. Let us know how you get on :)

Hmm, this seems like a question for fishy and haylands! :D

The 1.0L Yarisesesusues are everywhere so I imagine a second-hand engine shouldn't be too hard to source; Putting it in OTOH might be a bit trickier! (I know next to nothing about that side of things!)

It's a great first car tho'; Pretty bullet-proof and also nippy but not enough to get you into trouble ;)

Also cheap to run and tax and you don't get screwed by insurance companies as badly as with, say, a Fiesta!

A neighbour of mine as a 1.0 2000 model (W reg) Yaris 3 door with a seized engine. she has offered me £200 for it and I am tempted by the offer but I want some further info. Firstly what do people think on these cars. Would I be able to insure myself in one easily and is it worth me shelling out on a new engine and restoring it. The car is in mint condition only done 60000 miles body work is immaculate etc.

Toyota yaris is excellent, the hard headed reply is that an 11 year old car with a seized engine is scrap value. I would say this to you, in the car world never let your heart rule your head, do not waste your money, there are better things around Big question, why did the engine seize in the first place? I have seen this senario so many times it is the tip of the iceberg, if you go ahead, and only you can decide that, you will open a can of worms. If I sound pessimistic it is because as I say I have seen this sort of thing so many times. Walk away and look for a runner. I would also ask for some quotes for insurance before you do anything, they are pretty steep for young drivers, no point in getting a car and then finding you cannot insure it!

Regards Geoff Peace.

Toyota yaris is excellent, the hard headed reply is that an 11 year old car with a seized engine is scrap value. I would say this to you, in the car world never let your heart rule your head, do not waste your money, there are better things around Big question, why did the engine seize in the first place? I have seen this senario so many times it is the tip of the iceberg, if you go ahead, and only you can decide that, you will open a can of worms. If I sound pessimistic it is because as I say I have seen this sort of thing so many times. Walk away and look for a runner. I would also ask for some quotes for insurance before you do anything, they are pretty steep for young drivers, no point in getting a car and then finding you cannot insure it!

Regards Geoff Peace.

Hi Geoff I see your point of view but the thing is is I now almost all of the cars history she bought it new and never serviced it even though my dad advised her to get it serviced

Overall I think I can afford it just need to talk to the owner

Get it for free and break it.

I am going to discuss things tonight and give the car a thorough going over (HPI check and a full visual inspection) then I am tempted to buy. I have been quoted under £300 for an engine and I want a little project to keep me busy on the weekends. So If everything goes to plan I should be able to turn the car around on a £500 budget.

I dont really want to break it as I dont have any where to store it. Plus I need a car as my test is in a couple of weeks time.

go for it I say, worth £200.

just remember for ease of transfer, if the vin starts with a "J" (made in japan) make sure you get a matching engine to replace it, not a french built one.

You may not get it running in time for your test tho'! :lol:

It shouldnt take longer than a weekend, It looks an easy enough job. I just need the women to decide what she is doing with it as I offered her for it yesterday and she has changed her mind a bit :/

It shouldnt take longer than a weekend, It looks an easy enough job. I just need the women to decide what she is doing with it as I offered her for it yesterday and she has changed her mind a bit :/

Maybe she is a member on here and has read the thread!

I know she isnt lmao She knows nothing about cars I can assure you. I am giving her a few more days if she doesnt reply I have my eye on another car

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links