Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Width Question.

forrestt

What's the wideist tyres that fit?

I'm planning on fitting lowering springs and putting wider tyres on my iq, its got 175s at the moment. Can I put 185s (or 195s) on the standard alloys? I just think it looks a bit silly with slim tyres on but I don't like aftermarket alloys (each to there own and all)

Hi there

I have 18 inch 7.5inch wheels with 18 x 215 x 35 tyres

The car is lowered by toyota's lowering springs by 25mm

The front tyres are very slightly proud of the arches. I think some people are very happy with 7inch wide wheels. I would also say that in my opinion the car looks its best with wheels that have lots of spokes

David

post-109788-0-26423900-1318007365_thumb.

post-109788-0-08396900-1318008098_thumb.

post-109788-0-74181400-1318008138_thumb.

David

He is asking if he can put a tyre 185 or 195 on a 15inch wheel

OH didn't read that very well did I? Was very small txt on my iPhone so must have missed every other line lol. Mine are slightly wider at the wheel than the tread as they are "stretched" So sorry don't know.. Still think my wheels look great even though they are after market.

David

I'm not saying that your alloys don't look good. I kust perfer the standard... well at the mo I've got standard alloys from my rover diesel and they fit fine, speedos under reading because there smaller (lower profile) but there wider (185) now I have another set of rover alloys with 195s on them so I might use them too.

Do you have any rubbing at full lock with 215s? I'm not the biggest fan of streched tyres, if anything all my tyres are wider than the alloy, harder to kerb them, and I like the look.

You get no rubbing with 18 by 7.5 wheels on 18 215 35 tyres, but you will get rubbing if you use 18 80 wheels unless you use specers

As Robert confirms, I dont get any rubbing on full lock. You would with 225's so i'm informed. I do want a set of tyres thar are not stretched because i have kissed the curb once and cost me £70 to get repaired and constantly have to be vigil.

David

So what's the widest tyres I can stick on my 15s? What size does everyone else have?

First of all what rims do you have:

5,0J x 15" ET45, LK 4x100 --- 175/65R15 --- no extra work --- SERIE / STANDARD

6,0J x 15" ET38, LK 4x100 --- 175/65R15 --- no extra work

6,5J x 15" ET38, LK 4x100 --- 175/65R15 --- no extra work

You have the Standard 5,0J???? (there are different sizes in some countries!)

Go online & google 'Tyre Bible'.

Google is just great.

Dont worry about what the widest tyre is 'that fits' 15" rims,

better check what the width range of recommended tyre is for your rim width that safely can be fitted.

Your sensible tyre fitter will no longer fit an over wide tyre, even when the customer insists.

(he & his company are liable)

They have to fit the recommended allowable tyre width to suit that rim.

Best that you check these things your self IMHO, because i think you maybe do not understand tyres & rims very well.)

If you have 175/65R15 & want to go to 185/60R15 or 195/R55 to keep the same rolling radius/gearing/speedo the same as the vehicles was designed for there will be a very slight differnce in the gearing.

(multidrive hardly notices the difference, you will see it on the rev counter on a manual if you know the vehicle before you change the tyres to slightly less tall)

most likely 185 or 195 will be slightly smaller in rolling radius/total diameter depending on the Brand/type of tyre you choose.

(a snow/winter tyre might actually measure up the same)

IMO the 175/65R15 is the pefect tyre choice to have for the UK winter on an iQ

change to snow tyres if you want.

Fashion over performance is just silly as far as i am concerned, nobody really cares how wide your tyre looks.

(most people can not even notice the difference 175 to 195 is not the difference between oooo & ahhhh.

george

see 'Tyre Bible' for rim & recommended min/max tyre for a given rim.

http://www.kouki.co.uk/visual-tyre-size-calculator

http://www.onlineconversion.com/tire_size_conversion.htm

Http://www.camskill.co.uk

EDIT PS

a given tyre width ie 195/55R15 does not actuaal give the tread size,

that is not going to be 195mm, then again it might well be.

different tyres, different/lower profiles & tyre design make the difference.

re low profle.

195/55R15, the 55 is 'aspect ratio' the tyre side wall height is 55% of the width of the tyre.

In my opinion the IQ dose not look good with 175/65R15 even if its ideal for the car. the 17 or 18 inch wheel on 205 or 215 tyres and lowered maks the car look good. What i have done is to change back to my toyota 15ich wheels with 175/65/15 winter tyres on and change back to my 18inh wheels after winter.

Go online & google 'Tyre Bible'.

Google is just great.

Dont worry about what the widest tyre is 'that fits' 15" rims,

better check what the width range of recommended tyre is for your rim width that safely can be fitted.

Your sensible tyre fitter will no longer fit an over wide tyre, even when the customer insists.

(he & his company are liable)

They have to fit the recommended allowable tyre width to suit that rim.

Best that you check these things your self IMHO, because i think you maybe do not understand tyres & rims very well.)

If you have 175/65R15 & want to go to 185/60R15 or 195/R55 to keep the same rolling radius/gearing/speedo the same as the vehicles was designed for there will be a very slight differnce in the gearing.

(multidrive hardly notices the difference, you will see it on the rev counter on a manual if you know the vehicle before you change the tyres to slightly less tall)

most likely 185 or 195 will be slightly smaller in rolling radius/total diameter depending on the Brand/type of tyre you choose.

(a snow/winter tyre might actually measure up the same)

IMO the 175/65R15 is the pefect tyre choice to have for the UK winter on an iQ

change to snow tyres if you want.

Fashion over performance is just silly as far as i am concerned, nobody really cares how wide your tyre looks.

(most people can not even notice the difference 175 to 195 is not the difference between oooo & ahhhh.

george

see 'Tyre Bible' for rim & recommended min/max tyre for a given rim.

http://www.kouki.co.uk/visual-tyre-size-calculator

http://www.onlineconversion.com/tire_size_conversion.htm

Http://www.camskill.co.uk

EDIT PS

a given tyre width ie 195/55R15 does not actuaal give the tread size,

that is not going to be 195mm, then again it might well be.

different tyres, different/lower profiles & tyre design make the difference.

re low profle.

195/55R15, the 55 is 'aspect ratio' the tyre side wall height is 55% of the width of the tyre.

I'm well aware of that. I have some 195/45/r15s fitted to my other car and not only does it handle better due to the lack of tyre roll (smaller profile with more pressure = less tyre roll, which is where most body roll is) its slightly quicker (not against its own speedo because that out by 10% due to the smaller wheels) but against a another virsion of othe same car) and slightly more economical in town due to the gears being slightly shorter, this is done on a tank ful measurement not an onboard computer which would be wrong due to the wheels etc

Last night I had 185/55/r15 on a different set of alloys and managed to get 53mpg in town driving (tank fill method not in car) oh and it was a joy to drive, if a bit bumpy.

What I was trying to find out is weather these wheels would fit the standard alloys? If not ill keep the rover alloys on :)

But I know that they won't rub now so I can stick my 195s on too.

As for the speedo running fast, at least I won't get a ticket :)

I was not trying to be smart, so why be smart back.?

Your post speaks about not liking Aftermarket wheels etc.

You seem to know lots about tyres & sizes.

So why not say what width your Rims that you are asking about actually are?

You appeared to suggest you like a bulging sidewall, & performance was not your concern.

I am not really a believer in using the sidewall of a tyre as a parking aid and to save a wheel.

Kind of obvious that less rubber gives a harder ride, tyre pressures are also important.

MPG with 2% difference is not much.

Low profiles giving Sporting ride/handling in a town

& then talking economy, does that really matter, do you get both??

I thought you said in another post your iQ was dead slow.

Maybe just state what your Car is,

which model & year.

Incase someone that is not Derran Brown can help.

Is it a 2009 iQ with standard fitment UK alloys?

or

better just read the numbers given on the actual wheels you are talking/asking about.

it will say 5J or 6J or whatever on them..

What width are they?

have fun with it.

george

First off sorry for sounding shirty, bad day.

I'm now using 6j 185s on 15" alloys, I don't know what the size is on the standard ones, can anyone help.

As for performance, I only want the car to handle well, I do do drive in the country on some lovely wide roads and I found that the wheels rhat were fitted caused the car to understeer quite a bit. Now it handles totally different, more like my old car that was running racing suspension and good tyres.

I think the tyre brand is also to blame, they were economy tyres which have a low rolling resistance, good for mpg, poo for grip. Now got a more grippy compound on.

I don't know a lot about these things, but I know enough, always more to learn tho.

if you have an iq1 or 2 you realistically dont want to go anywhere beyond a rim 16', the car lacks the power and if you go beyond this it will lose a marginal amount of acceleration. in my own opinion you shouldnt go beyond this anyway as why would u want your car to look like a monster truck or like its just strolled into Halfords. in answer to your question anything beyond a 205 width would be considered illegal as they stick out of the actual car.

The question in the post is,

What are the widest tyres that go on standard 15" rims.

Waiting to find out what rims,

a picture would help.

I would say that a properly driving iQ does not understeer.

It does have electronic steering tho, & feels like an original Mini sometimes Untill things go funny.

I might try switching off the ESP, ABS,+++ nonesense that interfeers sometimes blah blah and see what it does & does not do.

(Hold the Button down for 5 seconds before starting off, you might need it off come the snow,& a short push just switches it all back on after your speed picks up)

Then maybe switch them back on in everyday normal driving, i decided in the end they worked pretty good on normal wet,slidy back roads.

(it needs you to decide to switch off anyway at te start of a journey, it resets when you stop the engine)

You will find that lowered & wide tyres might suit your driving, i think actually then you will find understeer when going wide and lowered but otherwise standard suspension..

Just decide on how much you want to spend on quality tyres that suit the wet,

or the dry, or a compromise wet/dry, or a Cold Weather, wet, or Cold Snow, & some wet. and on and on.

Buy good tyres, (not economy MPG & economy price type rubbish like the standard fitment)

A quality 175/65R15 is a different driving tyre alltogether IMO.

ask the fitters/suppliers the good size for your wheels and let them order them..

You can buy a set of 6x15 or 7x15 rims & decent branded tyres for under £600 if you must be wider,

you dont need to go 7x16 or anything else,or put on 1Q3 wheels and tyres you like.

(someone here offered a swap the other week, i have 16's that i took off & changed to 15's but will keep for the future)

but if you did look at wide quality 15's and tyres,

you will probably find that 16's are cheaper in a Tyre/Wheel Deal.

george

George,

Do you like my Monster Truck?

David

Its not a monster truck. Needs to be higher :)

And I think I'm just going to stick some decwlent rubber on my tyres next, rather than the energysaving rubbish that's on them now.

No George, i was joking about Justin7's comments on a car looking like a monster truck coming out of Halfords if you had larger than 16 inch rims

So enlighten me what are energy saving tyres as aposed to quality one's

David

David

Some others have a issue about others putting on 18 wheels and saying things like boy racers or what ever

But more and more new factory cars have 17 or 18inch wheels and spoilers on them or have been lowered to some extent. If you look over the years the wheels on a car have got larger and larger.

David

Some others have a issue about others putting on 18 wheels and saying things like boy racers or what ever

But more and more new factory cars have 17 or 18inch wheels and spoilers on them or have been lowered to some extent. If you look over the years the wheels on a car have got larger and larger.

have seen some huge wheels on new 61 plate Range Rovers recently. Have seen some really nice looking stock suzuki and focus's around

David

David

There made of a harder compound and roll better on the road, thus using less fuel to get moving. Ironically there more expensive.

There found on hybrid cars most of the time.

David

There made of a harder compound and roll better on the road, thus using less fuel to get moving. Ironically there more expensive.

There found on hybrid cars most of the time.

Cheers

Do they have any particular markings?