Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

94 Camry Rough Idle

daveyd

Have a 1994 Camry with around 146,000 on the clock. I have been trying to figure out why I am getting a rough idle when it is in gear (fine in park/neutral).

Did a tune up (air filter, plugs, wires, rotor, distro. cap), still rough. Attempted to play with the ignition timing, still rough. Cleaned EGR valve and throttle body, still rough. The exhaust sounds OK, no misses heard. Any ideas??

Could be fuel pump or filter. It does not take much gas for a car to idle, but when you put it in gear more gas is needed. As now the trany puts a draw on the motor, so it needs to draw more gas to stay running. If it's not getting enough gas it will run ruff or miss, slip it back in park or N and it idles fine as there is less gas required by the motor again.

Do you have a timming light??

You can test your spark plugs wires to see if there all getting spark. Just hook it up and move the clamp thing you put on #1 wire to all the wires not just #1. All should have a constant light flash. If a flash is missing the car is missing.

So test your wires for spark, if the light flashes every beat and you gapped the plugs correctly before you put them in. Then it almost has to be gas dilevery causing the ruff motor.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links