Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yet Another T180 Oil Consumption Thread

blue monster

Greetings all,

After checking the oil on our T180 earlier today and having to put over 700ml of oil in to it I am now asking is this level of oil consumption acceptable and/or normal as the car has covered approximately 1,000 miles since I have last had to put oil in it.

Since purchasing our T180 last March we have not done many miles as my wife has worked very local to where we live but this has recently changed and the car is now doing 500 miles per week and at this rate we will be going through a fair bit of oil.

The car seems to be running fine with no smoke or unusual noises.

So is this normal or do I need to book in a visit to Mr T?

Cheers

Martin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blue monster

• CharlieFarlie

• Davrav

• Mistermena

Greetings all,

After checking the oil on our T180 earlier today and having to put over 700ml of oil in to it I am now asking is this level of oil consumption acceptable and/or normal as the car has covered approximately 1,000 miles since I have last had to put oil in it.

Since purchasing our T180 last March we have not done many miles as my wife has worked very local to where we live but this has recently changed and the car is now doing 500 miles per week and at this rate we will be going through a fair bit of oil.

The car seems to be running fine with no smoke or unusual noises.

So is this normal or do I need to book in a visit to Mr T?

Cheers

Martin

The extended warranty bulletin states:

Oil consumption worse than 0.5 litre per 621 miles (1,000 km) so it's below [not much though] what Toyota would be concerned about I guess. As everything else seems fine I would keep an eye on it for a while and see if it gets worse :unsure:

It is on the up as the last time I put oil in it was about 300ml for 1,000 miles which I didn't bat an eyelid at but now this consumption has more than doubled and this increase has only been since the start of September since my wife has started to tank the miles on.

It is on the up as the last time I put oil in it was about 300ml for 1,000 miles which I didn't bat an eyelid at but now this consumption has more than doubled and this increase has only been since the start of September since my wife has started to tank the miles on.

Good reason to keep an eye on it and report to Toyota at next service Martin

40k service is due in 2 weeks time so will get it checked out then thumbsup.gif

I found that just pottering around town meant very little oil consumption on My T180 . But as soon as I started ramping up the miles on the motorway the consumption went sky high.. My measured test showed over a litre in 1000 miles this was mostly motorway miles. If it had been local around town miles I doubt it would have been anywhere near so high .................

My car was also at 40K miles ...

I would advise against getting the car serviced until You have sorted this problem as most of the service will be done free if You are getting a new engine .. IE the Oil and filter will be free. They will also have to re gas the Air Con unit and re fill the cooling system with new coolant. They can drain and re use if They want to but They don't !! So a service for the remainder of the job will be far cheaper.. Mate consider getting a new clutch fitted at the same time as the labour is free... Well worth it !!!

I have PMd My number to You..

Wee Charlie.

Hey Guys

And what if you put a different type of oil in it? Maybe the car wouldn't eat that.

I heard that for the T180 the best type of oil is the Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 full synt. Compatible with Diesel Particulate Filters.

The main part: "ACEA C2"!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_743651_langId_-1_categoryId_165581#dtab

What kind of oil does Mr T use?

Hey Guys

And what if you put a different type of oil in it? Maybe the car wouldn't eat that.

I heard that for the T180 the best type of oil is the Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 full synt. Compatible with Diesel Particulate Filters.

http://www.halfords....yId_165581#dtab

I don't think you'll go far wrong with ESP oil, its what I use in my T-180. Castrol also suggest that you could use EDGE (507 00) oil also. But it doesn't meet the both the C2/C3 as ESP does. I've heard that the Toyota oils are made by Chevron. But I can't be 100% positive...

Hey Guys

http://www.halfords....yId_165581#dtab

I don't think you'll go far wrong with ESP oil, its what I use in my T-180. Castrol also suggest that you could use EDGE (507 00) oil also. But it doesn't meet the both the C2/C3 as ESP does. I've heard that the Toyota oils are made by Chevron. But I can't be 100% positive...

How much oil does your T180 eat with Mobil 1 ESP?

My 2005 2.0 D4D used 0 liters in 6K miles :D

No new engine for You then ....................................

Went to see mr. t this evening, oil consumption check is now in progress. Will keep you all posted as to how I get on.

There was another one at Lindops at the same time with the same issue - anyone from here?

Charlie, thanks for the tip about holding off on the 40k service until this check is complete as don't want to use my Mobil 1 only for it to be disposed of if I end up with a new motor.

Cheers

Martin

Martin. When I was in Westlands Toyota the service Manager said He had ordered two engines that very same day !! One being for My Rav and the other for an Avensis... They have done literally tens of these engine replacements in all of the vehicles fitted with the now infamous 2AD engine

I've said it before and will risk repeating Myself when I say how brilliantly Toyota are handling this issue which must be costing them an arm and a leg !!

I'm sure You will soon be joining the ranks of very happy owners who have the much quieter and far better on fuel engine in Their cars..

On My many trips from Scotland to the Midlands my fuel consumption had dropped by a fair amount. I always fill at the Shell garage at the Forth Bridge. Previously I was using just over 3/4 of a tank with the computer showing 55 0r so miles left in the range..

Last trip down just over a week ago saw well under 3/4 of a tank used and 150 miles left in range !! The trip is 360 miles.. So a very appreciable gain !!!

Now I just cant decide whether to spend the 370 quid and put a Kingo box on the car.. Having just spent 1500 quid on a set of wheels and tyres it may have to wait a bit though .....

Wee Charlie.

• 2 weeks later...

A brief update - been back to Mr T this morning for a follow up oil check & we have covered approximately 800 miles over the last 2 weeks - the wife had 2 days off otherwise we would have done 1k biggrin.gif

Anyway, the very nice man at Lindops have advised me that the motor has used 1 litre in 800 miles - does this mean a new engine or not as to me this seems excessive?

I am awaiting a phone call from Mr T to advise whether I qualify for a new motor or now so will keep you posted thumbsup.gif

A brief update - been back to Mr T this morning for a follow up oil check & we have covered approximately 800 miles over the last 2 weeks - the wife had 2 days off otherwise we would have done 1k biggrin.gif

Anyway, the very nice man at Lindops have advised me that the motor has used 1 litre in 800 miles - does this mean a new engine or not as to me this seems excessive?

I am awaiting a phone call from Mr T to advise whether I qualify for a new motor or now so will keep you posted thumbsup.gif

Mate You will on that basis of one litre in 800 miles be getting a new engine.. Lindops have an awesome reputation so it would seem You are in very good hands !!!

Be sure and let Us know how You get on later ?

Wee Charlie.

Charlie, have literally just come off the phone with Lindops - the man from del monte say 'Yes' so happy days new engine is on order thumbsup.gif

I was hoping to hold off on the 40k service if indeed our T180 did require a new motor but this is not going to be possible due to the miles the wife is doing.

Lindops have advised it could be 3-4 weeks (could be sooner) for the new engine to arrive & be fitted by which point we would be 1500 - 2000 miles over the service interval which could cause us issues in the future if we needed to claim on the extended warranty that we have up until 2014. So I will get it serviced this week as it has just turned 40k and I don't want any hassle in the future.

It would have been ideal to get it all done together & saved a few quid but to be honest I am over the moon that we will be getting a new motor.

Also, I am really impressed with Toyota stepping up and taking this on the chin where other manufactures would have denied all knowledge of any issues. When the turbo on our X-Trail was throwing oil up in to the intercooler (an issue Nissan kept on stating had been resolved in 2005 - yet our 2006 car still had the same problem), Nissan said they would sort it for me for £1800 + VAT - bunch of censored.gif

Hats off to Toyota & Lindops as this has been the most hassle free engine problem I have ever encountered (if that makes any sense tongue.gif) thumbsup.gif

Pleased to hear that Mate.. You will be very pleased when the new engine is in !! If Its like My one it will be quieter smoother with seemingly more go. And far better on fuel !! And Yes You are right Toyota are dealing with this issue very well indeed !! :thumbsup:

Are You going to have the clutch replaced ? It cost Me 280 quid for the parts and of course there was no labour charge. I would certainly recommend this !!!

Mate I cant see 1500 miles being an issue ???? I would rather be putting that money towards a clutch assembly... I feel sure that Lindop will see no point in servicing an engine that is to be replaced !! There really is no point..

Perhaps if You book the car in for the remainder of the service procedure when the engine gets changed that would be sufficient ??

I was told 2 days to 4 weeks for an engine to arrive. It took days Mate ... So hold fire on that service as it would be a shame to get it done only for the engine to arrive a few days later ...

Wee Charlie.

Hi all

Could someone please explain to me this 2.2 diesel engine issue. I have an 06 (no problem) but 'am I covered' if one develops.

mike

Hi all

Could someone please explain to me this 2.2 diesel engine issue. I have an 06 (no problem) but 'am I covered' if one develops.

mike

Toyota have initiated an extended warranty on the 2.2 diesel engines as in our RAVs up to circa early 2009 build date, as a result of the oil consumption issue.

The extended warranty is for seven years or 120K miles and is dependent on the car having been 'reasonably serviced' i.e. by a VAT registered garage :thumbsup:

Hi all

mike

Toyota have initiated an extended warranty on the 2.2 diesel engines as in our RAVs up to circa early 2009 build date, as a result of the oil consumption issue.

The extended warranty is for seven years or 120K miles and is dependent on the car having been 'reasonably serviced' i.e. by a VAT registered garage :thumbsup:

All correct apart from the milage mate. its 112k. :thumbsup:

Hi all

mike

All correct apart from the milage mate. its 112k. :thumbsup:

We're both wrong - it's 111,846 miles [mind you were closer :rolleyes: ]

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links