Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Soeleys Iq

Soeley

• 9 months later...

Well I am pleased to say my iQ had her 50,000 mile service and MOT today. Sailed through with nothing to report :toot::yahoo:

I had an Auris curtesy car for the day, very nice but too big for my needs so won't be swapping. It pulled really well and thought it must be a 1.6, couldn't believe it when I found out it was the 1.2 turbo :o

• Like 1

The 1.2 turbo replaced the 1.6 engine in the Auris.

• 5 months later...

Tar but no tar!

I know everyone will suffer from the dreaded tar spots, I seem to have been a tar magnet. I got so bad I'd not even botherd to wash my car for the last couple of months, as when I did it didn't look any better. I have tried different Bug & Tar removal products in the past but not found them brilliant, until that is I came across Autoglym's Intensive Tar Remover (25% off at a B&Q that is closing down) so thought I'd give it a go. I tried it on a small area and was really impressed so went back and bought the last bottle on the shelf.

Here are some pictures of how bad it was:

WP_20160609_09_01_51_Rich_zpsd6wovxrq.jp

WP_20160609_09_02_03_Rich_zpsk7hidkda.jp

WP_20160609_09_01_40_Rich_zpszjnsntre.jp

WP_20160609_09_02_25_Rich_zpsyk5bmi2n.jp

WP_20160609_09_02_16_Rich_zpsk6ysnnqn.jp

Just one application and a quick wipe of after two minutes:

WP_20160609_10_12_49_Rich_zpsmoljzbgw.jp

The whole car is now done and been treated to a Maguires Paint Prep, Polish and Wax. Just need to sort out some Back to Black now.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2011 at 10:14 PM, Soeley said:

Well after 8 days of ownership i finally got round to taking some pictures today, not many though due to the horrible weather. I managed to give her a wash this morning then it started raining so didn't get round to polishing and waxing her over cursing.gif

Here she is:

DSCF2240.jpg

DSCF2237.jpg

DSCF2241.jpg

Hi Mark,

where i can buy the door protection?

Is it original?

In Italy is very difficult to buy it :angry:

Thanks and bye, Luca.

P.S.: for the tar i use CarPro TarX: amazing!!! Do you know it?

Hi Luca,Yes the door protectors are a genuine Toyota accessory. They were fitted by the previous owner and I am glad that he fitted them where he did as I personally think they look better low down. Toyota fit them higher up in line with the top of the wheel arches LIKE THIS, yes they would do a better job of protecting the doors up there but aesthetically I like them where they are.

I have not heard of TarX, but have just watched a YouTube video of it in action. Looks very good.

If you want to be surprised please look this thread of a italian forum about detailing.

http://www.lacuradellauto.com/t14111-luca-vs-smart-fortwo

This was the first my wife's car.

Just pay attention at used products: they are miraculous :biggrin:

Bye, Luca

• Like 1

Very impressive Luca.

On 09/06/2016 at 6:54 PM, Soeley said:

Tar but no tar!

I know everyone will suffer from the dreaded tar spots, I seem to have been a tar magnet. I got so bad I'd not even botherd to wash my car for the last couple of months, as when I did it didn't look any better. I have tried different Bug & Tar removal products in the past but not found them brilliant, until that is I came across Autoglym's Intensive Tar Remover (25% off at a B&Q that is closing down) so thought I'd give it a go. I tried it on a small area and was really impressed so went back and bought the last bottle on the shelf. The whole car is now done and been treated to a Maguires Paint Prep, Polish and Wax. Just need to sort out some Back to Black now.

That is some hard work doing that lot. I had a similar -but much less muck- situation and also felt that cleaning the car was a waste of time, until I tackled the muck. The majority of it was below mid-way to the bottom of the car, yet I still found some on the bonnet, mirrors and even the roof! Of course, it is only going to get worse for everyone as our roads get more crappy every day, and the usually poor repairs done on them. New tarmac laid around a road near here recently and I think they engineered bumps and dips into it that were not there before.

• 3 months later...

Happy 60,000 miles to me :driving::clapping::holiday:

(watching a digital odometer go around is no way as satisfying as the old analogue ones though)

• 1 month later...

Great article Mark - really enjoyable read - some great mods and attention to detail. Please keep us up to date of any further tinkerings?!

Only just got my IQ last week - gutted they stopped importing them as wanted new really. Nearly bought one 4 years ago, but got a Mk5 R32 instead!! (well if you squint a lot they're kind of similar!?) :bangin:

...any way, managed to get a 14 plate with only 1500 miles, so worked out ok I guess? Now the fun part, deciding what to do first. Thanks for some good ideas btw.

Apologies if you've posted elsewhere, but have you changed/adapted your sounds/nav at all? I know it's not everyone's priority, but I have loads of cool stuff left over from my Golf builds - and I'm looking forward to the challenge of limited space whilst keeping it discreet. Already considering an adaptation of your extra fuse box idea - maybe running a single 0 gauge cable from the Battery to provide a new power source inside somewhere, then work from there...? Interesting to note your issue with your camera (and solution) as I had something similar after fitting reverse camera in the R32.

Will definitely start looking at lowering options - was thinking about brake discs as well - is this something you've considered or looked at? Would be interested in your thoughts etc. Yours would look really good with some decent spec drilled and/or grooved discs, especially with the wheels/callipers and stance you've achieved? Would be subtle but effective, imho.

I really like what you've done with the gauges - nice to see a nod to the old minis etc and some inventive fabrication :smile:

Thanks

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Furbo,

First off, thank you for your kind words and appreciation of my iQ, it means a lot :cheers:

With regards to the sound system it is the standard radio/CD player (doesn't have the Satnav option). Like you, originally I was looking at buying a new one and did consider the £600 upgrade to the stereo, but with only a months notice in change of job and this one coming on the market at the same time it was a no brainer (plus the lead time on a new one too long). But I am very happy with the standard set up, it is a lot better than we had in our previous cars, so in the end I don't think I would have benefited from the upgrade. I'm not one that really listens to music I just hear it if you know what i mean ;)

The only addition to the stereo is a Blu-tooth hands free kit, I shall find that post later and add it to this tread.

Brake discs, yes I have thought off drilled/grooved one and will fit some when mine want replacing, which I think will be some time yet as mine are showing hardly any wear at 60,000 miles.

• Like 1

This was originally posted as a reply in THIS TOPIC

Just some quick pictures of the iO Play2 I have just fitted today, will post more about it when I've used it a bit.

Controller, positioned as close to gear stick gaiter as possible to hide the wire.

WP_20140818_001_zps5c3799d0.jpg

Microphone, instruction said to position centrally, NOT on A-post and 6 inches from windscreen.

WP_20140818_008_zpscf6c1fcb.jpg

Aux Input, thought I might as well fit it as seen as it was supplied.

WP_20140818_009_zps303c62e7.jpg

I mounted the Display on steering wheel cowl, best place for the driver to see (don't see the point in passengers being able to see it). From my view it just about covers the bottom of the rev-counter.

WP_20140818_003_zps74c3ba12.jpg

Edit: The reason the above picture looks blurred is because it is 'scrolling text' ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My iQ went in yesterday for 60,000 mile/6 year service and MOT. No problems at all, the inspection sheet was a sea of green :)

• Like 1

Hi Mate

the Play2 looks great. Great installation. 

On the subject of your 60k service, did you have the plugs changed? As thats the normal time for them

David

Hello David,

Yes plugs were changed (I can only take thier word for it, but have no reason to doubt :) ), I have a service plan so everything was included even the MOT

I used to have a really good relationship with my main dealer. 

On the last service of the plan i got when i bought the car. They had a new manager he is a young stroppy person. Firstly my service book says on a Full dervice to check the cabin filter and if required to replace it free of charge. I remember making a comment about it on here. The next year after mine they changed the wording to say the same but at the customers cost. Anyway he would have none of it so i argued with hilm until he agreed. Then i said its due to have the plugs changed at 60K. He said they were done at 40K. I said No they wasnt because they were not due  then. He goes away and agree's i was right. So having waited fir the service for not a lot of time. He comes back and says the car is ready!!

bearing in mind they had to change break fluid, check cabin filter relace the oil and filter, air filter and change the plugs. I some how think this could not be done in an hour and 10mins that i had been waiting. So i went through the list and he looks at his ticked list and says yes everytime i mentioned an item. So i asked him again about the plugs. He says deffinitely done. So i gave him the benefit of the doubt and one back with my car, i opened the bonnet and looked at the head. I could not see any disturbance at all besring in mind its a fiddly job with the 3cyl. I went o the spares dept and saw the guy who i know well and asked him to check plug stock. He said thst there were 9 in stock and now only 6. I dis remind him i know about how they claw hours back by skipping items that cant be seen. He said 3 were booked out but they dont record what vehicle they were for. The manager who has helped me out before with the EGR valve issue was phoned and he said its difficult because there is a record of the plugs being  booked out. Also the "technician gets about 25mins to change them. I said it was a full service how could it have been completed in an hour and 10mins. He said could have been more than one person working on it. 

Basically i was opening a can of worms 

oh and when i quizzed the original guy about the cabin filter after havig a argument with him, when the car was ready he said with a smurk on his face " oh it didnt need changing". When i checked it myself when i got home. Out came all the debris. And it was partially clogged. Not even checked. 

Can you take a look at the head on yours for me to see if yours looks "disturbed"

cherrs mate

David

• Like 1

Oh nearly forgot

this all happened about 3 months ago

checkef the oil today as i was doing our Verso and the oil level was almost off the bottom of the dipstick. And rather black. not golden. Looks like all they did was have a cup of tea. Will have to do an oil change myself now B*****ds

David

That sounds like a good garage gone bad, such a shame!

Just been and had a quick look, can't even see the plugs on the 4 cylinder. If I remember correctly it is quite involved doing the plugs, but sure Craggle has said they can be done without removing/undoing everything the manual says. But the manifold to throttle body bolts do have fresh spanner marks on them.

I always check the oil level after a service: 1 - to check the oil colour & 2 - to see where the oil level is at, reason is if I don't and then check the level in 6 months and it is at MIN I won't know if it has burnt it or if that was the level it was filled to.

• Like 1

Hello David, poor david I must say with all your problems with your Toyota dealer. I was thinking that it was only in french garage that such things can happen, but it'ts seems that the conscientiousness is lost every where. Have a nice new year, and change your oil and plugs.............

• 2 years later...

Well yesterday was a day of mixed feelings.

"All good things come to an end" and all that I suppose, but after 7 years 3 months of ownership and with 85,600 on the clock I traded in my iQ for something new and quite different.

Last Saturday I removed all my add'ons and put her back to standard form (apart from the S/S exhaust). I still have the 17" rims with good summer tyres on that I will put up for sale soon.

Here she is for one last time, after one last wash before going to the garage to do the trade in.

I would be happy if the new owner finds their way on here and has many more happy miles which I'm sure she has in her yet.

"What did you trade her in for?" I hear you ask. 

A new 2019 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 Petrol, quite a change in car I know, but this is the only car to consider for me, absolutely nothing else appeals at all.

I'll pop in and out now and again, Happy Motoring everyone 👍

IMG_20190115_110530-01.jpeg

IMG_20190115_153204.jpg

• Sad 1

Best wishes

Hi Mark 

Tried to Txt you but it seems it doesnt send so guess its been ceased. Its the one with lots of 2's in. 

Its been a long journey together since 2011. The Very best wishes my friend with your new toy. By the way your iQ looks immaculate as it did in that day in 2011. 

Tarquin

David

3 hours ago, Soeley said:

"What did you trade her in for?" I hear you ask. 

A new 2019 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 Petrol, quite a change in car I know, but this is the only car to consider for me, absolutely nothing else appeals at all.

Congrats on the new car & lucky you - according to HonestJohn sold out in the UK for the next 2 years ...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links