Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Potential Expensive Gearbox Problem

Jonny0069

Hi I have been having a bit of trouble with my car it`s basically not going int gear when I thrash it a bit the higher the revs the harder it is to chance gear i basically have to coast between changes to allow the revs to come down before it will even go into gear.

I read this was a common problem on the older models but have`nt seen much in regards to my model.

Was told it might be my clutch but it does`nt slip at all and previous owner swears it was changed about 5k ago also feels more like a gearbox problem than clutch.

Have also been told to change the gearbox oil but I don`t see how it could stop it going into gear at higher revs.

Any help and rough guides of cost would be appreciated as it`s fine in lower revs.

Thank You

Could be a synchro in the gearbox... but they tend to just crunch and still go in - not stop you from engaging it.

I would say you probably have a worn engine/gearbox mount and when hooning it the engine is moving enough to stop you being able to engage 5th. When cruising on the motorway in 5th accelerate hard and then back off - does the gear shifter move forward and back loads?

But as a first port of call i would change the clutch fluid and the gearbox fluid as even if this doesnt fix it; its a good service to do.

yes that`s what i was thinking i have ordered the stuff to do that so will hopefully get it done this week. how do i check the mount is it an gearbox out job?

thank you

Well the shifter moving back and forth a lot under heavy acceleration in 5th is a good sign.

Otherwise try rocking the engine back and forth. It shouldnt move much at all.

Well the shifter moving back and forth a lot under heavy acceleration in 5th is a good sign.

Otherwise try rocking the engine back and forth. It shouldnt move much at all.

one other thing to check is clutch bite, if it is low down the clutch slave may need adjusting had this problem before, i was told it cant be adjusted but it can. Under the dash follow the linkage you will see a threaded bar with i think 2 10 mil nuts slacken them off and adjust the threaded bar so the bite is higher

• 1 month later...

Could well be wear in the selector "sugarcube" on the gear linkage, if you look at the linkage on the gearbox carefully there is a square block which move the selectors on the outside of the gearbox this is prone to wear, last one I bought was about £12 from toyota or you can turn through 90 degrees to get more use from the same part.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links