Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Center Console Backlight Intensity

mravikt

Hi guys,

As we all know, when the headlights are turned on the dashboard's backlight intensity is reduced to its pre-set value. It's ok, but the center console's backlights stay on full brightness (Radio, Aircon controls, etc...). Is there a way to reduce that as well? It's annoying during night driving, when it's lit up like a Christmas tree... :)

The car is 2.2 Auris.

Thanks in advance,

MT

They should alter to the same brightness as the lights on your speedo etc.

Have you gone into settings and turned the brightness down to see if that helps?

They should alter to the same brightness as the lights on your speedo etc.

Have you gone into settings and turned the brightness down to see if that helps?

Do you mean the five yellow bars? If so, yes. Done that. Center console always stays the same. What can cause this? A fuse maybe?

I'd be amazed if it was a fuse as that would kill all power and you wouldn't get any lights at all.

It could be a loose connection?

Have you replaced your stereo?

I'd be amazed if it was a fuse as that would kill all power and you wouldn't get any lights at all.

It could be a loose connection?

Have you replaced your stereo?

Nope. It's fully stock. You're right, my fuse theory was nonsense. :) No fuse, no light. Do you have any idea where I should start searching for the error?

My centre console brightness stays the same, i think the rheostat only works for the speedo etc on the main dash. My auris is facelifted 1.6 sr

+1 to the last poster. It cannot be adjusted, only the speedo...

+1 to the last poster. It cannot be adjusted, only the speedo...

If so, then it's a big design fault by Toyota. In our other '05 Corolla it was done perfectly, even the OB screen's backlight could be turned off alone, apart from the others.

I will have to check mine, but i'm sure ALL the dashboard lights dim when the headlights are on.

I will confirm this and let you know.

I will have to check mine, but i'm sure ALL the dashboard lights dim when the headlights are on.

I will confirm this and let you know.

Thanks Davey! I really do hope so that they do. Otherwise the system would be very illogical. Low intensity speedo + fully lit console... :)

My 071.6 TR has this functionality:

1. When the ignition is on during daylight and no external lights on,then:

Instrument Cluster passenger seatblelt lights on at Max setting.

Radio centre display on normal setting.

No illumination of the 3 temperature and ventilation controls.

2. With ign ON and external lights ON:

Instrument cluster and seatbelt lights dim.

All radio pushbutton's backlights ON.

Hazard pushbutton backlight ON.

3 temp and ventilation controls are backlit.

If the A/C, air recycle, and/or the rear screen demist are ON, then they dim when the externall lights are ON.

I know this is a nit of a mouthful, but I hope it is understandable.

Cheers

Just been out to my car to check, and noticed the following:

The dash lights (speedo/rev counter etc) are on bright when headlights are off.

NONE of the console buttons are lit up when headlights are off.

When headlights are turned on, dash lights dim and interior buttons light up, but at the same brightness (low lighting).

I have taken 2 short videos to clarify:

http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/daveyonthemove2/Videos/?action=view&current=2011-10-10_19-28-10_52.mp4

http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/daveyonthemove2/Videos/?action=view&current=2011-10-10_19-28-43_398.mp4

Just been out to my car to check, and noticed the following:

The dash lights (speedo/rev counter etc) are on bright when headlights are off.

NONE of the console buttons are lit up when headlights are off.

When headlights are turned on, dash lights dim and interior buttons light up, but at the same brightness (low lighting).

I have taken 2 short videos to clarify:

http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/daveyonthemove2/Videos/?action=view&current=2011-10-10_19-28-10_52.mp4

http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/daveyonthemove2/Videos/?action=view&current=2011-10-10_19-28-43_398.mp4

Thank for the vids. I'll shoot some myself to show you my problem. I saw that the passenger airbag icon is always on full intensity in your car too... That hurts my eyes at night. :blink:

I agree with DOTM re the airbag light. Of course the irony is you end up ignoring a warning light :)

I've just disabled the light by opening up the console and attaching some black tape to the inside. Airbag OFF -light should be working though...

I also have a problem regarding the dimming of the dash lights although mine is the reverse to that experienced in this topic. When I have to switch the lights on in daylight when experiencing difficult visibility (fog, heavy rain, mist) the dashboard lights dim to such an extent that it becomes impossible to view the speedometer. When the headlights are on during the hours of darkness the illumination is fine. Any ideas anyone?

Donpack

I've just disabled the light by opening up the console and attaching some black tape to the inside. Airbag OFF -light should be working though...

Strike of a genius! :) I'll do it too as soon as I get to my car.

I do find it odd that the airbag light is activated when the airbag is turned ON.

All other cars i have driven use the light to warn you that it is turned OFF.

Hey donald,

I haveexactly the same problem. although I do not believe it is a fault. I guess there is no answer to changing this function without making it a manual function.

The instrument cluster goes so dim I have trouble reading them.

Cheers

Thanks for your response Krait. It does seem very odd that switching the headlights on in difficult visibility as a safety measure means that you loose sight of another safety feature - the ability to see your speedometer. With all the cars I have owned over the years I have never come across this problem before.

Donpack.

Hey donald,

I haveexactly the same problem. although I do not believe it is a fault. I guess there is no answer to changing this function without making it a manual function.

The instrument cluster goes so dim I have trouble reading them.

Cheers

Did you try pressing the setting button on the dashboard, the right one, until you see five bars? Then press and release the same button and you'll see the light dimming high or low...

Yes I did.But it was already on Max brightness for daylight running so there was no optionto increase brightness.

It would be nice if there was some auto/manual function that could brighten the dimmed lights whilst headlights are ON due to travelling in a tunnel, say. Or just travelling in daylight with heavy rain and headlights on.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a solution for that too, but it costs. There are kits, that you can install. They automaticaly turn on your lights when the car starts, but they do not dimm the dash. They have some safety protocols, such as is the alternator voltage enough and other thigs, so that I have installed such a kit so that i should not forget to turn my light in winter season (as it is mandatory in my country). You could install a switch to turn on or of this kit and put it someware around the outside mirror posiotioning switch. The isntallation of such kit costed me around 25 paunds in a Toyota garage, and it did not mess with the warranty. The problem is known for a long time, but that is how the dash is constructed - it has to light in order to see it in the day. That is it, but you should know that on the test drive, before purchasing. It's just a model specific thing.