Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Anti Roll Bar Links

Offroadster

Hi guys, Rav T180 serviced today. They found the rear anti roll bar links damaged, one snapped and one bent. What causes this ?, I havent hit any pot holes or anything. Extended warranty seems worthless as they are saying the links are not covered, quoted "fair wear and tear". Surely if something has snapped then it hasnt done its job and failed prematurley? What are your thoughts?

Cheers

All the bar does is transfer the rolling motion from one side to the other. The links would not break or bend without being subjected to huge forces so I would be thinking excessively overloaded or a trailer or caravan imposing excessive force or the bar itself is unable to twist because it is siezed. In the latter case, replacing the links will undoubtably lead to it happening again.

All the bar does is transfer the rolling motion from one side to the other. The links would not break or bend without being subjected to huge forces so I would be thinking excessively overloaded or a trailer or caravan imposing excessive force or the bar itself is unable to twist because it is siezed. In the latter case, replacing the links will undoubtably lead to it happening again.

Would incorrect jacking damage them?

I have never towed with the Rav or jacked it up either !! Would one being bent then cause more stress on the other side causing it to snap? Maybe a rock or soemthing bent one of them

Cheers

Does have or has it ever had a towbar fitted? Maybe it was done before you had it.

I've weighed up the diagrams of the rear suspension and can't see how you could jack it up normally and do that. The anti-roll bar is designed to twist but something has caused it to go beyond the limit of twist and then fail those short links. Maybe if it was jacked very high on one side you could get to the point where you compressed the bent side until the lifted side snapped under tension. Tyre fitters?

maybe there made to the same standard the engines are??? :rolleyes:

Or more than likely a tyre fitter, cars go in them places for a new tyre/puncture repair....and come out with hundreds of pounds of suspension damage, how they manage it is a complete mystery............well not really if you watch what there doing...... :crybaby:

I go with Anchorman that it has been there since I had the car, and the garage I bought it from knew about it!!!!!!.

You can always buy them and fit them yourself. Kingo will post them to you.

• 2 years later...

Just replaced the rear off side drop link which was picked up on a minor service at a Toyota dealership.Brace your self for a shock the quote for the part from Toyota, wait for it! 120 Pounds Stirling for the part only.An absolute disgrace,I purchased the Drop Link from my local Factors for 17 pounds 50 pence.As I'm retired I fitted it myself, a small problem with Allen headed bolt in the top ball joint but sorted it no bother.

Just replaced the rear off side drop link which was picked up on a minor service at a Toyota dealership.Brace your self for a shock the quote for the part from Toyota, wait for it! 120 Pounds Stirling for the part only.An absolute disgrace,I purchased the Drop Link from my local Factors for 17 pounds 50 pence.As I'm retired I fitted it myself, a small problem with Allen headed bolt in the top ball joint but sorted it no bother.

Welcome to the forum Fred. And well done on getting it fixed!

I visit Fife now and again - either to attend Crail for the sprint days in my RAV, or just a trip to see where my parents and grandparents lived. Having been born in Fife, I have a deep-rooted desire to move back there but too many family around this area now!

Hi guys, Rav T180 serviced today. They found the rear anti roll bar links damaged, one snapped and one bent. What causes this ?, I havent hit any pot holes or anything. Extended warranty seems worthless as they are saying the links are not covered, quoted "fair wear and tear". Surely if something has snapped then it hasnt done its job and failed prematurley? What are your thoughts?

Cheers

No potholes??? Where do you live, must be very lucky not to have potholes! Here in north Devon there are potholes with a very occasional bit of smooth tarmac in between!

Drop links have been a bit of a problem on all models of Rav's. They are quite flimsy compared to other suspension components. The 4.1 fronts were bad - they use to rust where connected to the wishbone and the thin shaft would neck off - the links on the 4.2 and 4.3 are more substantial. Infact drop links are a problem on many cars nowadays - attributed by some, to the potholed state of our roads.

Maybe we were just lucky but we have never had any problems with any of our 4.2's, one of which lived with us for 11 years from new. The current 4.3 is OK but then it is fairly new so I wouldn't expect any trouble as yet.

If you look at eBay - there's over 3000 listings for Toyota drop links! - gives some indication of the "popularity" of these items.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just been quoted £110 for drop link kit. Are spurious parts as good/equal to Toyota parts?

Just to add was quoted £278 for toyota to supply and fit the link!!!

looks like a possible feature in this for a picture by picture replacement guide :bangin:

just hope its not mine that go next!

A complete drop link is around £20 each from your local motor factor or eBay. Choose a good make such as Delphi or Veco and they'll be fine. Not sure what you've been quoted for at £110 - it's around the price of a genuine Toyota link - quite outrageous. Presumably the £278 supply and fit is for both sides?

Unless you have money to burn don't in this case pay these astronomical Toyota prices.As I said in my previous post Toyota quoted 120.00 quid, I purchased the rear drop link for 17.10 from my local factors,in fact I get all my service items from them and believe me the quality is amazing.Bye the way if your a capable diy guy the changing of drop links is easy,just ensure you have a good jack,axle stands,17mm and 19mm combination spanners and a metric allan hex key set.Good luck! Ps best to get your links from a local Factor outlet,any problem can then be sorted easier.

If they are perishing too quickly, consider getting some poly ones - They're a lot hardier!

Superflex seem to be a popular source here, and there's Energy suspension in the US

A complete drop link is around £20 each from your local motor factor or Ebay. Choose a good make such as Delphi or Veco and they'll be fine. Not sure what you've been quoted for at £110 - it's around the price of a genuine Toyota link - quite outrageous. Presumably the £278 supply and fit is for both sides?

£278 was to replace the broken o/s link was also told water pump has a leak and that would cost £335!!

Before replacing the coolant pump - be aware that these pumps can weep fairly insignificant amounts of coolant. Check that the leak is of significant magnitude to require replacement. I really don't understand £278 to replace a drop link - it's under 30 minutes labour and even with the cost of the Toyota part - it doesn't stack up - needs to be explored further.

Before replacing the coolant pump - be aware that these pumps can weep fairly insignificant amounts of coolant. Check that the leak is of significant magnitude to require replacement. I really don't understand £278 to replace a drop link - it's under 30 minutes labour and even with the cost of the Toyota part - it doesn't stack up - needs to be explored further.

I got one from Andrew Page for just under £20 It says on health check sheet o/s anti roll bar drop link broken reqs new drop link and bushes(which comes as a kit) cost £279.44 so work it out if you can. Mates gonna fit it and check pump as he said same as you. Ive not had to top up coolant or noticed any water under car (mind you it hasnt been dry for months anyway).