Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem Shifting From 1St To 2Nd During Lift

Tom.P

Just got myself a t sport and im loving it but iv noticed that when hitting lift in first gear it will not shirt into second. Driving normally it shifts fine but as said, in lift it will just not go into second.

Iv had a look on a celica site and iv seen a few people saying it could be the pressure plate, or clutch cables.

anyone else got this problem on there cts..?

and more importantly can anyone give me some advice on how to fix it.? iv got a 3 month warranty on the car so the garage iv just got it from should fix it, just want a bit more of an idea of what is causing this and if it is actually fixable.

Cheers, tom

could be the cable, the syncro from 1st to 2nd, the clutch plate or something within the gearbox like a shift spring or sooo many other things :ffs: is it just 1st to 2nd and just will not shift or does it crunch? :thumbsup:

could be the cable, the syncro from 1st to 2nd, the clutch plate or something within the gearbox like a shift spring or sooo many other things :ffs: is it just 1st to 2nd and just will not shift or does it crunch? :thumbsup:

Clutch feels fine and its fine in all other gears, shifts fine from 3rd to 4th in lift and such. Its just 1st to 2nd.

There is no crunch at all, well there has been a little but thats just been me getting used to the gears lol

It will just not go into second at all after about 7k revs, doesnt crunch or anything, it just simply wont go in.

Iv read somewhere just now its something to do with the clutch not properly disengaging so the gearbox wont shift from 1st to second or something.

Just want as much info as i can get tbh as im going to have to phone the garage tomrrow and tell them what needs doing.

it could be so many things hard to say without driving it and having a look. id take it back while you have the warranty and see what they think it is. if it was the clutch plate or anything to do with the clutch side of things it would probably do it in every gear not just 1st and 2nd. does it do it no mater how you change ? slow or fast ?:thumbsup:

it could be so many things hard to say without driving it and having a look. id take it back while you have the warranty and see what they think it is. if it was the clutch plate or anything to do with the clutch side of things it would probably do it in every gear not just 1st and 2nd. does it do it no mater how you change ? slow or fast ?:thumbsup:

When im driving slowly around town in goes into gear fine , but when driving faster ( above 7k revs ) , even if i try to change the gear slowly rather than shifting the gear quickly it still wont go in and even if i do manage to get it in by the time its slipped into gear its droppped out of lift :(

Just got myself a t sport and im loving it but iv noticed that when hitting lift in first gear it will not shirt into second. Driving normally it shifts fine but as said, in lift it will just not go into second.

Iv had a look on a celica site and iv seen a few people saying it could be the pressure plate, or clutch cables.

anyone else got this problem on there cts..?

and more importantly can anyone give me some advice on how to fix it.? iv got a 3 month warranty on the car so the garage iv just got it from should fix it, just want a bit more of an idea of what is causing this and if it is actually fixable.

Cheers, tom

Had similar problem with my 2001 Avensis 1.8 vvti. Finally having trouble getting all gears. Master & slave cylinder o.k. so opted to replace complete clutch(99,000miles) Found clutch plate still with plenty of 'meat' on it, but it was very sticky moving along the lay shaft. Anyhow replacing clutch solved problem. Hope this might help

John

From what i've read you're better off shifting at 6k in first then lifting from second onwards for optimum speed. This could have been off youtube though so don't take it as gospal. Not that any of this fixes your problem, but if its out of warranty id personally wait until it gets worse if it isn't going to damage anything.

edit, just saw you say you have 3month warranty so dissregard, just take it back, its not your problem to diagnose x

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links