Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mpg Report From A New T180 Owner

kanulondon

Hello,

Long time lurker but first time poster in the Rav4 forums.

I recently bought a 2nd hand Rav4 T180 for the wife (I'm happy to keep the passat with 165k miles :) ) . . . anyway after wittering down the competition (Qashqai and the CRV) we settled for a One owner T180 with full TGB service history.

The car drives very well and we're pleased! However upon reading the forums, I was horrified to learn about the shocking urban and extra urban real world mpg figures of the car. This was further cemented when the car was driven from down south to Sunny Scotland :) showing average MPG figure of 29! For the last 7000 miles. Given my 10 year old passat knocks out 45+ with spirited driving I was very dissapointed by this.

After reading up I decided to purchase the following

1 x Diesel Tuning Chip Kit from PartsKing aka Lindop Toyota (left on the default setting of 6!)

1 x K&N Panel Filter

1 x Grease Lightening Treatment

1 x Full tank of BP extra performance diesel (can't remember it's name!)

1 x xenon HID Replacement kit (who knows, if I say better perhaps one can save more MPG :P )

I installed all of the above the other weekend there and I can confirm the following . . . :driving:

The car managed 404 miles in mainly A&B road driving. Longest drive has been no more than 25 miles. We're yet to go on a proper long run. According to my Trip the car has an average MPG of 36. According to my fuel calcs,we used 50 litres of fuel and that equates to roughly the same mpg (give or take)

I'm personally quite happy with this figure as it gives me hope that on a long run the car can at least get above 40+mpg

Apologies for the long post, but I'm hoping someone may find this information of use.

KL

Welcome to the important section KL.

I'm sure our many T180 owners will appreciate your report.

My T180 gives better fuel consumption than that and its completely standard.. Admittedly Its got better since having the new engine fitted....

One thing that is for certain and I would never have believed it is that running on Shell posh diesel gives a fair improvement over the normal stuff.

On My last trip of 360 miles to the midland my range was showing 135 miles to empty using posh fuel. On the return leg I had to fill up with the normal stuff as I left really early and the only stuff available was normal diesel and when home the range showed 60 miles left..

The Journey was identical only difference was it being the other way round...

I set the cruise to 78 MPH on the motorway and drive fairly steady.....

Wee Charlie.

Wee Charlie.

Yeah but it's uphill to Scotlandshire Charlie :lol:

Wee Charlie.

Yeah but it's uphill to Scotlandshire Charlie :lol:

I was thinking the same thing, its all downhill to the south is it not?

Charlie you'll need to use a GPS app to find out total ascent and descent during your journey to verify claims :)

You may indeed get better mileage, I'm just pleased with the increase thus far in mainly urban driving. Got a 350 round trip at the weekend so I'll get a better idea of what MPG's like on a longer run.

I do agree that most of these posh fuels make a noticeable difference on a long run. Also the diesel chip certainly gives the car a more impressive turn of pace, though I was more motivated by the better MPG figures.

As an aside after doing lots of research on the forums I can confirm the xenon HID kits works very well in the T180 and gives the car a much better looks. Once installed it looks indentical to xenon's on othe comparible vehichles. The reflector housing works well as there's no glare either (which I verified by driving in front of the T180 for a few miles)

Just need to figure how to get a headlamp wash kit installed in a vain bid to make the unit more 'kosher'

KL

It never fails to amaze Me the huge variations whenever this subject comes up and if I'm totally honest I think driving style is the biggest factor.. Of course every car will be that bit different !!

As for the Chip . Well its top of the wish list and its nice to see another endorsement in its favour as I'm still on the fence. If I'm honest I'm not looking for any more performance from the car I have the Jag for that. And I'm thinking it will take a long old time to recoup the cost ....

Wee Charlie.

Funnily enough I done similar with my Auris SR180 (pretty much same engine but I noticed I have a larger (updated?) EGR valve as fitted to 10' plate onwards Avensis's.

1 x Diesel Tuning Chip Kit from PartsKing aka Lindop Toyota (setting of 5)

1 x K&N Panel Filter

1 x BG244 fuel treatment

1 x Full tank of Shell V Power

Gone from 38 up to 44mpg and feels a lot smoother.

I have got our T180 equipped with one of Kingo's finest Lindop's chip kit and have been very impressed.

We used to average 340 miles to a tank of Shell's best juice before the fuel light came on and since having the chip kit fitted are now getting 420 miles no problem before the light comes on.

On average I have been putting 48 litres back in to it once the fuel light comes on and filling it to the brim which means that we are averaging 39.37 per gallon chipped vs. 31.87 non chipped, i.e. 7.5 mpg better off.

As the wife is currently doing around 20k per year and the average price of Shell v-power by us is £6.53 per gallon we will save £780 over the next 12 months (chipped vs. non chipped) which means that the chip kit will have paid for itself in 6 months & then we are quids in.

Even if you are not doing big miles I would still chip it as it completely transforms the car thumbsup.gif

I have got our T180 equipped with one of Kingo's finest Lindop's chip kit and have been very impressed.

We used to average 340 miles to a tank of Shell's best juice before the fuel light came on and since having the chip kit fitted are now getting 420 miles no problem before the light comes on.

On average I have been putting 48 litres back in to it once the fuel light comes on and filling it to the brim which means that we are averaging 39.37 per gallon chipped vs. 31.87 non chipped, i.e. 7.5 mpg better off.

As the wife is currently doing around 20k per year and the average price of shell v-power by us is £6.53 per gallon we will save £780 over the next 12 months (chipped vs. non chipped) which means that the chip kit will have paid for itself in 6 months & then we are quids in.

Even if you are not doing big miles I would still chip it as it completely transforms the car thumbsup.gif

Its all these figures that are so confusing !! I do 360 miles on My regular Midland trips . Half motorway and half A road. At the end of the journey I get

On Shell Performance (Posh) diesel the 360 miles and 130ish remaining

On cheap diesel I get the 360 miles and 60 ish miles remaining

So that must be a minimum of 420 miles per tank without a Chip fitted....................

So I'm getting the same 420 per tank without a chip. Will fitting a chip further increase the MPG ???

As I've said My MPG has increased since the new engine was fitted ...

Wee Charlie.

Hang fire a while mate and I will let you know about MPG as the rate that mine is using oil I will be in the new engine club with you before long and then I can let you know what difference it makes with a new engine & a chip kit thumbsup.gif

It's really good to see people getting the same great results with the Chip Kit and Good Diesel

Charlie it maybe easier to figure out costs and the speed at which the Chip will pay for itself should you get it if you track via manual MPG calcs and fuel receipts? The post by Blue Monster really brings it home, further backed by Smiler. Looks like gains are around the ~7mpg with similar driving.

The main reason I got the chip is that EVERYONE mentions the MPG gains and if you do the miles it will pay off sooner rather than later :-)

Smiler - How do you find the setting of 5? Did you try 6 before hand?

Blue - WHat setting in your chip on?

KL

Chip kit is set on 6 as per when Lindops fitted it for me.

That's what they reckon is best so I haven't bothered playing with it as the extra grunt when you need it is fantastic & the extra MPG is a bonus!! yahoo.gif

Funnily enough I done similar with my Auris SR180 (pretty much same engine but I noticed I have a larger (updated?) EGR valve as fitted to 10' plate onwards Avensis's.

1 x Diesel Tuning Chip Kit from PartsKing aka Lindop Toyota (setting of 5)

1 x K&N Panel Filter

1 x BG244 fuel treatment

1 x Full tank of Shell V Power

Gone from 38 up to 44mpg and feels a lot smoother.

Goodness me, Smiler....does that mean you've sold the wee Rav Giant.....

:unsure::jawdrop::g:

Afraid so, I got a new job in the summer that invloved a bit more travelling.

The "other half" had taken a shine to the XT5 and wasnt willing to give it up so I got the Auris SR180.

Couldnt justify two 4wd vehicles, plus I wanted something still a little "sporty" to drive and discreet looking.

Im aware that mpg isnt the greatest on the SR180 engines but with free fuel for personal and business not an issue.

Will miss the wee Giant, as far as I know its up in Orkney still going strong.

Afraid so, I got a new job in the summer that invloved a bit more travelling.

The "other half" had taken a shine to the XT5 and wasnt willing to give it up so I got the Auris SR180.

Couldnt justify two 4wd vehicles, plus I wanted something still a little "sporty" to drive and discreet looking.

Im aware that mpg isnt the greatest on the SR180 engines but with free fuel for personal and business not an issue.

Will miss the wee Giant, as far as I know its up in Orkney still going strong.

....and there was me thinking last year it was coming to live in Glasgow, and it ended up in Orkney....small world, eh....?

:shutit:

Sorry man, my bad on that one.

It went to the other halfs ex sister in law who recently separated from her hubby, needed a small 4x4 run a round for her and her wee boy.

Sorry man, my bad on that one.

It went to the other halfs ex sister in law who recently separated from her hubby, needed a small 4x4 run a round for her and her wee boy.

Apology, though somewhat tardy, accepted as given....worked out well in the end in that Funnerburd Too came up for sale shortly after in Manchester, easier to get to than the Giant of the North, and 5 years younger to boot.

:thumbsup:

Smiler - How do you find the setting of 5? Did you try 6 before hand?

KL

5 is fine with the Auris being 2WD, with setting at 6, traction control was kicking in quite a lot in the wet about town.

Wont be an issue with Rav4 as it should kick in 4WD when lots of torque being delivered.

I have one of Kingos tuning boxes on my Rav4 too, however being the 136bhp model its an injection/pulse box that connects to each injector - it doesnt have an adjustment wheel.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links