Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Leaking Boot After Bumper Respary Job

benchan

My aygo has a leaky boot, and I suspect this has something to do with the bumper respray job done on the car recently...

It's very odd because the leak is only on the right hand side of the boot, and very localised too, without any dumpness or stains around the ceiling/hatch/walls. The surroundings around the seals are completely dry too.

The seats are completely dry and I can't figure out which bit is leaking - it is as though the water seeped through the rear light section - is this possible?

Also when a bumper respray is carried out, would any parts be removed & replaced? Is it possible that the non - toyota garage did not fit the parts back on correctly and hence the leak? It's just plain odd that the car was perfectly fine for the

last five years until it went in for a bumper respray (by a dodgey garage, but that's another story).

Any ideas / comments are appreciated!

Ben

I had this on my Aygo and it was pressure tested by Toyota. It turned out to be the rear light cluster surround leaking which was an easy fix.

Good luck

My aygo developed water also in rear corner, but it was because those air vents foam seals were hanging out of their places,

take rear bumper away then it is wide open to repair, only difficult place to refit bumper is in upper sides just under lights i guess in factory bumper was assembled before lights, but i put it still in, it woud be easier if someone is helping from other side.

ours leaked as well, we found that the seal had been put on wonky at the factory, so the join was near the top and not quite with the ends together. got it replaced with the join in the middle at the bottom and it has been fine since. just a thought.

• 1 month later...

OK two garages told me that I need to replace the "boot vent".

Could someone please tell me what exactly this is, and if this can be replaced easily.

How easy is it to remove the rear bumper and replace it (the Porsche/Audi garage who did the repair couldn't fit it back properly, btw)? Do I need to replace any clips / holders, etc?

Thanks in advance.

My 2005 Aygo had a similar problem and I found that when I got someone to pour water over the 3rd high level brake light, water would enter into the boot soaking one side.

Removing the high level brake light (2 screws) the foam gasket was perished. Didnt want to pay £50 approx. for a new brake light as you cannot buy the gasket on its own.

I bought some clear sealant and sealed completely the edges of the high level brake light.

Since then I've had no leaks.

Worth a check by doing the water test - ideally lower the rear seats and get in the car. Someone else pours a jug of water over the high level brake light and you'll quickly see the entry point and water coming in, if it is leaking at that point!

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links