Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dpf (Diesel Particulate Filters)

tubaman

Anyone see the BBC Watchdog feature on diesel vehicles with DPF's clogging up because the cars are only ever driven around town ?

They said that best way to clean these exhaust filters is to drive your car minimum of 15 mins at 2500 rpm or above.

Anyone know if this is likely to work with the D4-D engines (I have a 2006 T180) ? I used to do quite alot of motorway and fast A road driving but now mainly drive around town. Just wondering whether would be a good idea to give it an 'Italian tune-up' every now and then down the motorway.

Any thoughts ?

Anyone see the BBC Watchdog feature on diesel vehicles with DPF's clogging up because the cars are only ever driven around town ?

They said that best way to clean these exhaust filters is to drive your car minimum of 15 mins at 2500 rpm or above.

Anyone know if this is likely to work with the D4-D engines (I have a 2006 T180) ? I used to do quite alot of motorway and fast A road driving but now mainly drive around town. Just wondering whether would be a good idea to give it an 'Italian tune-up' every now and then down the motorway.

Any thoughts ?

thats true and your manual should explain that.

I believe that all diesel cars (irrespective of DPF) should be given at least 1 trip to motorway / week and if you cant do that, then at least drive it on higher RPM for at least 15-20 minutes to avoid EGR/ DPF's problems.

Not sure but i thoght DPF started to be fitted after 2009 if so yours should be ok.

DPFs have been fitted to some diesels for years (my 05 Golf 2.0tdi and Jag 2.7d had them) but as the emission laws tightened they`ve become compulsory.

And yet my present 2010 Verso 2.0d doesn`t :lol:

All modern Euro 5 engines will have a DPF

For the vast majority of people, DPF will never present a problem, however, there will be people with diesel cars that do very low miles and in town. I have to say this is not the best type of driving for any diesel and particularly with a DPF

I note Anne Robinson was not quite as dreary as usual last night, still lil Miss Pushy from Pushville tho :angry: Can't stand her meself :censor:

Kingo :thumbsup:

All modern Euro 5 engines will have a DPF

Are there any old fashioned Euro 5 diesel engines Kingo ? :huh: :)

I prefer the drive of a diesel car over a petrol one, but the main advantage of owning one (better economy) is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

The more 'green' add on's they fit to the cars, the less MPG we get and more expensive bills (and increased chances of bills).

The DPF is a real nuisance and I'm seriously considering a Petrol for my next car (maybe a VAG 1.4 twin turbo engine) or a VAG diesel that can have the ECU mapped to ignore the DPF, and get it removed.

As much as i enjoy my Toyota, the 5th injector is giving my wallet a hard time, and the ECU being 'map proof' is a real shame.

I'll be looking at my options in the new year and decide from there.

I prefer the drive of a diesel car over a petrol one, but the main advantage of owning one (better economy) is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

The more 'green' add on's they fit to the cars, the less MPG we get and more expensive bills (and increased chances of bills).

The DPF is a real nuisance and I'm seriously considering a Petrol for my next car (maybe a VAG 1.4 twin turbo engine) or a VAG diesel that can have the ECU mapped to ignore the DPF, and get it removed.

As much as i enjoy my Toyota, the 5th injector is giving my wallet a hard time, and the ECU being 'map proof' is a real shame.

You can have the 5th injector removed and the DPF removed for toyotas as well.

some companies have figured out a way to tell the ecu via a dongle that it does not need to "regenerate"...

I have a 2010 Avensis D4D 2.0 Tourer and can't figure out whether or not I have a DPF. I have looked under the car and all I can see is what looks like silencers, nothing obviously not like a silencer (perhaps DPFs don't look any different!). I asked the dealer when I took delivery last year and they were no help. The manual is no help either and I think the engine oil used may differ depending on whether or not it has a DPF so the dealer should know at service time.

You can have the 5th injector removed and the DPF removed for toyotas as well.

some companies have figured out a way to tell the ecu via a dongle that it does not need to "regenerate"...

That's interesting, if I have a DPF I may like to know more... However, I wonder if future MOTs will look for the presence of a DPF.

There is a company on line who claims they can remove the DPF and remap the ECU to ignore it, HOWEVER the only performance remap they offer in the Toyota Diesel range is the 1.4 D4D engine.

Surely if they can hack an ECU to make the car forget about a DPF, they would be able to offer a performance remap too, but they don't?!

I also emailed the company offering this service for more info, and the reply was basically self promotion about how they were the best around and others couldn't be trusted, and that wasn't what i asked them. Needless to say, I don't believe their hype.

You can make up your own minds on that one, but I firmly believe that it can't be done, and not one person has posted on a forum of this size to say that they have had it done.

A company called Sinspeed removes DPFs and recalibrates the ECU.

That's the company I refer to.

I don't see any testimonials to back up their claims about how great they are, and they are unable to tune an ECU for more power, but they can alter its settings to forget a physical item to control emissions??.

A very good friend of mine owns a remapping company who also remove DPF's, and I have enquired about having both of these jobs done on my Auris, and he assures me that it can't be done. He's a mate and I trust him, and I know he wouldn't turn my money down if he was able to do the work on my car.

When I`d the Jag 2.7d I had looked into having the DPF taken off but I`m not sure about the present and future legality of DPF removal because after all they have been compulsorily fitted by law. :unsure:

Cat converters are a legal requirement too, but you can remove them and still pass an MOT.

I've been searching for more DPF removal companies, and Sinspeed seem to have removed their list of vehicles they can do, but it was basically a carbon copy of this list, just done in a different format to suit their own site:

http://dpfremoval.eu/?portfolio=toyota

It's common knowledge that the 1.4 D4D ECU is less complicated than the others, as Kingo explains when he tells people the reason the 1.4 Tuning Box is much cheaper than the 2.2 tuning box, and also I'm sure someone on this forum remapped their own 1.4 engine.

I've not found a single review of Sinspeed to justify their claims, and not found a single forum member on any of the forums i have searched, that claims to have their D-cat engine into a workshop to have a DPF removed, or an ECU flash to make it forget the DPF.

If it was possible, somebody would be out there spreading the news ;)

Cat converters are a legal requirement too, but you can remove them and still pass an MOT.

I've been searching for more DPF removal companies, and Sinspeed seem to have removed their list of vehicles they can do, but it was basically a carbon copy of this list, just done in a different format to suit their own site:

It's common knowledge that the 1.4 D4D ECU is less complicated than the others, as Kingo explains when he tells people the reason the 1.4 Tuning Box is much cheaper than the 2.2 tuning box, and also I'm sure someone on this forum remapped their own 1.4 engine.

I've not found a single review of Sinspeed to justify their claims, and not found a single forum member on any of the forums i have searched, that claims to have their D-cat engine into a workshop to have a DPF removed, or an ECU flash to make it forget the DPF.

No No No

All Toyota ecus are encrypted, so firm apart from dealers or toyota can reflash or change parameters on them.

This doesnt matter if its a Yaris or a MK1 Avensis.

The reason why the yaris engine is easier to tune is the fact it has less sensors and the ecu is happy to run over a certain parameters without the ecu going into Limp mode. It just plugs into the commonrail connector.

The current 2AD-FTV, has two issues, it has more sensors diffrent types of injectors and the typical commonrail direct connection does not work, hence the individual wiring for each injector. - Overall a more complicated engine and ecu.

The DPF gets removed, but a dongle is used to tell the ECU that it does not need to regenerate. The ECU is not reflashed!

Also like to add,

The DPF is removed, gutted and installed back - the dongle is installed and no error codes have been reported.

We have a T180 with a DPF removed, runs as a Taxi in Leeds.

It was a company in Doncaster that did it.

I dont know the name of the firm.

No No No

All Toyota ecus are encrypted, so firm apart from dealers or toyota can reflash or change parameters on them.

The reason why the yaris engine is easier to tune is the fact it has less sensors and the ecu is happy to run over a certain parameters without the ecu going into Limp mode. It just plugs into the commonrail connector.

The current 2AD-FTV, has two issues, it has more sensors diffrent types of injectors and the typical commonrail direct connection does not work, hence the individual wiring for each injector. - Overall a more complicated engine and ecu.

The DPF gets removed, but a dongle is used to tell the ECU that it does not need to regenerate. The ECU is not reflashed!

The company I was referring to (Sinspeed) claim the following:

We can now, confidently offer a complete Toyota T180 DPF Removal service whereby we turn off the DPF settings from the ECU and successfully remove the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) from the exhaust system with zero errors – That’s right, your vehicle will NOT fall in to LIMP HOME MODE and you will NOT suffer any error messages or regeneration processes ever again!

No mention of any dongles, and they claim to alter the ECU settings... something no other company is able to do.

Considering the amount of serious remap companies (Superchips being one of the biggest) with lots of equipment and expertise, I'm amazed that nobody else is able to do this, and offer remaps if the ECU has actually been cracked.

I'd be interested to know more details about your friend who has had his DPF removed, and where the dongle is connected and how it operates?

The DPF has two sensors - one before and one after which sense pressure differences. So if you can fool the ECU into thinking the pressure difference is always within normal paramaters then there is no need to remap the ECU.

I don't now exactly how it's done as I have never seen it but I suspect they may be fitting a few resistors or such at the sensors.

Maybe the dongle referred to in the other post is something that plugs into the sensor wiring.

No No No

The company I was referring to (Sinspeed) claim the following:

We can now, confidently offer a complete Toyota T180 DPF Removal service whereby we turn off the DPF settings from the ECU and successfully remove the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) from the exhaust system with zero errors – That’s right, your vehicle will NOT fall in to LIMP HOME MODE and you will NOT suffer any error messages or regeneration processes ever again!

No mention of any dongles, and they claim to alter the ECU settings... something no other company is able to do.

Considering the amount of serious remap companies (Superchips being one of the biggest) with lots of equipment and expertise, I'm amazed that nobody else is able to do this, and offer remaps if the ECU has actually been cracked.

I'd be interested to know more details about your friend who has had his DPF removed, and where the dongle is connected and how it operates?

Hes just a taxi driver in another firm,

I will try and ask him for you.

Maybe the ecu has certain options that can be changed. / dont know but only a toyota tech could confirm this!

When I was looking in replacing my current avensis with a T180,

They gutted the DPF, and plugged something in to complete the circuit. Now unless this is some bizzar resitor / dongle i guess only they can confirm.

I will try and find out which company did his conversion, and phone and speak to them.

The DPF has two sensors - one before and one after which sense pressure differences. So if you can fool the ECU into thinking the pressure difference is always within normal paramaters then there is no need to remap the ECU.

I don't now exactly how it's done as I have never seen it but I suspect they may be fitting a few resistors or such at the sensors.

Maybe the dongle referred to in the other post is something that plugs into the sensor wiring.

This is the way I understood it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links