Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Airbag Warning Light

AMBCorolla

Hi guys. First time poster, good forum here. Quick question on a 94 c'rolla. Airbag warning light has come on. How do I go about turning this off, any fuses? Anyone else have this issue, what was the problem and how was it fixed, without taking it into the shop or dealership. Tried doing a search, did not find any info. Thanks in advance for the help.

--Mal

the easiest/safest option would be to go to the dealership - u dont wanna take some fuses out which may inturn make your airbag disfunctional -

obviously their is a fault with it hence the light is coming on.

Rash

94? so only 2 bags right?

If so go to the dealership as it can't be a loose connector from the seat(bags)

The dealer can turn them off with its smart tool and at the same glance know if something is wrong. maybe it's just time to replace them i heard they have a certain lifetime but i'm not sure.

First of all, are you in the US or in the UK? If you're in the U.S., take it to the dealership to get the airbag recall done. If you take it into the dealership just to get the airbag light shut off, it will be at least $80. I had asked the dealership near me, and that's what they said. So I just called them back later and asked to get the airbag recall done because my airbag light is on. Turns out my airbag computer had self destructed after I turned the key to on without the gauge cluster plugged in, so the airbag computer threw a fit because it didn't have a light to turn on and off. They replaced the airbag computer under the airbag recall, so it cost me nothing. My car's a '93 with a driver's airbag only.

In case anyone isn't familiar with the airbag recall, the Corollas had problems with people using the centre console for a cupholder when they didn't have an armrest (because the dash cupholders are worthless pieces of garbage), and spills would make it down through the bottom of the console and get into the airbag computer, shorting it out and either setting the airbag off or turning the airbag light on (thankfully, it was the latter most of the time). Dealers installed a plastic protective waterproof cover on the airbag computer of affected cars to protect it from further spills, and replaced the airbag computer if necessary.

I had to get a new airbag ecu when my airbag warning light came on :( not cheap!

Remember, your car won't pass it's MOT if the airbag warning light is on or the airbags are faulty.

Take it to Toyota, they will plug it into their computer and it will bring up fault codes for what is wrong. Anymore than three fault codes and it usually means its the ECU.

Hope this helps

Joe

Best and safest bet is to carry it to the dealer. I've seen mechanics guess what the problem could be on cars already and 'fix' things that dont need fixing...

Besides its the airbag...Safety first...

Thanks for the replys everyone. To answer some of the question, I am in Canada at the moment. Dealership quoted me $300 cdn, (a little less than $200U.S.), so I was looking for an alternate home remedy :D

Its got only one airbag, and its a 94. Dont have that much cash right now just to get the airbag light checked out, will have to live with it I guess, thnx again.