Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Potential Buyer: 2003 1.8 Vvti 21K Miles

manishg

Dear all,

I am a newbie here and just put a small deposit on a avensis 1.8 vvti 2003 with only 21000 miles on the clock. Only part service history as owned by a elderly couple and not used much apparently. I have 2 queries and would be grateful if members could answer please?

1. The car had a disabled tax disc, the dealer has said that I need to buy insurance cover before hand, he will have to go the local tax office and get the disc changed before he can sell it to me? I was not aware of such issues, is he right that I need to buy insurance first. Also I am doing a part exchange, plan was to end the insurance on my current car on a specified date (date of buying) and change it to the new car and pay the difference to direct line. However, I am not sure if direct line would be give cover for 2 cars on the same policy while I am still driving my old car and also requiring a cover note for the avensis??

2. Having read a huge number of posts regarding oil consumption on pre 2005 1.8 vvti, do you think its worth spending another 1000-1500 pounds and buying a newer model, or perhaps a honda accord/civic. Or 21000 miles is too low a mileage for such problems.

Thank you very much.

Manish.

Dear all,

I am a newbie here and just put a small deposit on a avensis 1.8 vvti 2003 with only 21000 miles on the clock. Only part service history as owned by a elderly couple and not used much apparently. I have 2 queries and would be grateful if members could answer please?

1. The car had a disabled tax disc, the dealer has said that I need to buy insurance cover before hand, he will have to go the local tax office and get the disc changed before he can sell it to me? I was not aware of such issues, is he right that I need to buy insurance first. Also I am doing a part exchange, plan was to end the insurance on my current car on a specified date (date of buying) and change it to the new car and pay the difference to direct line. However, I am not sure if direct line would be give cover for 2 cars on the same policy while I am still driving my old car and also requiring a cover note for the avensis??

2. Having read a huge number of posts regarding oil consumption on pre 2005 1.8 vvti, do you think its worth spending another 1000-1500 pounds and buying a newer model, or perhaps a honda accord/civic. Or 21000 miles is too low a mileage for such problems.

Thank you very much.

Manish.

1 - the disabled people get a special tax disc. they take the v5 and the old disc to the local DVLA office and they will change it.

2- Its a hard question, apart from the oil comsuption, nothing else really goes wrong with the car.

21000, its not even had the rings bedded in. - confirm mileage on the DVLA website before buying

I know many people would disagree - but 21 000 miles is too low on an 8 year old car, ive heard of several incidents across a number of makes of vehicles high on years but low on miles (like the car your thinking of buying) subsequently giving trouble when you subsequently use it normally. Particularly when the new owner is fond of giving it plenty of wellie with the right shoe or if you try to do lots of miles on it. One incident which stands out in my memory was when a charity ordered 2 brand new Transits in anticipation of getting governement founding for said machines. Funding was delayed and the Transits were sat in a yard waiting for funding (to buy them) for 12 months. One of them subsequently gave lots of trouble as a result. Cars just don't like lack of use, and short journeys with cold engines are not good either.

Seriously - 121 000 motorway miles can be better than 21 000 miles over 8 years of short drives, But thats only my opinion and the car may well be fine. Everyone will have their own views - some people will have found the low mileage cars to be very reliable and being caught out with troublesome high milers. Obviously opinions you get will be biased based on experience - mine is of very low mileage cars giving lots of trouble - when used for normal (12 to 20 000 miles a year) driving. While also seeing high mileage 3 year old cars with 100 k miles going on to do 250 000 miles without massive issues.

The very best of luck with whatever you buy anyway - whether its this particular car or something else

Red diesel

I would be a bit concerned about the part service history. I too once bought a 7 year old with 25k on the clock. Found that all the time constrained service items needed doing, brake fluid, filters,engine oil and timing belt etc. ( Not sure if you will need a timing belt) Plus the pads, rusted disks and handbrake cable. Battery also was on its last legs. It is recommended that tyres should be changed at 5 years as cracks can develop. Also replaced all the water hoses for good measure. Exhaust lasted another year. After she did 80k with no problems and as far as I know is still going strong.

If its a decent price and you can afford a really full service, go for it.

I would be a bit concerned about the part service history. I too once bought a 7 year old with 25k on the clock. Found that all the time constrained service items needed doing, brake fluid, filters,engine oil and timing belt etc. ( Not sure if you will need a timing belt) Plus the pads, rusted disks and handbrake cable. Battery also was on its last legs. It is recommended that tyres should be changed at 5 years as cracks can develop. Also replaced all the water hoses for good measure. Exhaust lasted another year. After she did 80k with no problems and as far as I know is still going strong.

If its a decent price and you can afford a really full service, go for it.

+1 - manufacturers recommend carrying out servicing based on time if you are doing less than 1000 miles a month usually. For example - 10 000 mile service interval means every 10 000 miles or 10 months - whatever comes first. Same with Timing belts - most Toyota belts ive seen are at 60 000 mile intervals - for low mileage drivers that means changing the belts every 60 months or 5 years if you don't clock up 60 000 miles in that time. Unfortunately many low mileage driver don't do this - sticking with mileage - so if it takes them 2 years to do 10 000 miles - and the service interval is 10 000 miles - the car will only be serviced once every 2 years - not good.

Regarding tyres - yes they do crack if left too long - I see it a lot with tractors and trailors (both car and tractors), if no record of a tyre change - it might be as well to budget for 4 new tyres unless you can ascertain that the tyres were fitted relatively recently. Yes its a ballache to replace 4 possibly beautiful tyres with lots of tread on them. But thats so much better than a blowout at 80 mph on the motorway.

Incidentally when buying the present red diesel (the car) - the 2 most promising candidates by far (including the car bought) were both ex company cars. Its best to judge each individual car on its own merits - the 78 000 mile ex company car was a far superior car than a 60 000 mile privately owned car we looked at. The privately owned car looked more like a stereotypical ex company car than the company car did lol.

Red diesel

Thank you very much for all your replies.

You are right, the front 2 tyres have got cracks in the sidewall obvious to anybody. The dealer offered replacements, but with a non premium brand, I opted for a free service instead. I will get Michellins after completing the purchase. Battery probably needs replacing as well.

i checked the old MOT's on the DVLA website, the mileage is right and also confirmed on the HPI check. Have ordered a car inspection worth £170 today, a bit steep for a cheap car but thought worth getting it done after a previous bad experience. Will wait to see what they say?

The car initially did 17k in the first 2 years, then sold onto this elderly couple who only did 4000 miles in 6 years! So it has primarily done only short journeys with no service history.

Manish.

Thank you very much for all your replies.

You are right, the front 2 tyres have got cracks in the sidewall obvious to anybody. The dealer offered replacements, but with a non premium brand, I opted for a free service instead. I will get Michellins after completing the purchase. Battery probably needs replacing as well.

i checked the old MOT's on the DVLA website, the mileage is right and also confirmed on the HPI check. Have ordered a car inspection worth £170 today, a bit steep for a cheap car but thought worth getting it done after a previous bad experience. Will wait to see what they say?

The car initially did 17k in the first 2 years, then sold onto this elderly couple who only did 4000 miles in 6 years! So it has primarily done only short journeys with no service history.

Manish.

Id change the back tyres as well - the rears are more than likely to be the originals id have thought as they tend to wear a lot less than the fronts. Its good to get the proper tyres mind - we have a Nissan which is on cheap tyres ive never heard off (i didn't get them fitted - :ffs:). Its on these cheap tyres inspite of i asking the family member who drives the car (and owns it) to opt for continentals (the OE tyre that came on the car when it was new) which were working well. The new pieces of rubber don't feel as nice or as good for grip and bumps are more noticeable. And thats in the dry - :angry: ive got no real desire to test out their undoubted crappiness in the wet.

Red diesel

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links