Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is It Worth Getting The Gen 2?

ph47mf

And more to the point, Ive never driven a diesel car that has equivalent interior seating space to the Prius AND that will average 50mpg in town AND has automatic gearing AND comes close to the same level of horrible stuff that comes out of the exhaust!

And more to the point, Ive never driven a diesel car that has equivalent interior seating space to the Prius AND that will average 50mpg in town AND has automatic gearing AND comes close to the same level of horrible stuff that comes out of the exhaust!

Hear! Hear!

I've had my '06 T-Spirit since August and am no granny driver.

Most of my journeys are at least 10 miles simply by virtue of living in the middle of nowhere and usually I get up to 60 mph fairly quickly, braking for winding country roads and occasional controlled cruise at 70 on dual carriageways.

I am averaging 54.7-55.9 mpg and am very pleased with that, especially bearing in mind all the points raised by sjrainsford and additionally that petrol is (around here at least) 8p per litre cheaper than diesel and the peace and quiet of the Prius compared to any diesel that could produce near those figures.

(PS Mine has the "wrong" tyres on it too at the moment, the previous Toyota dealers having fitted non-LRR Bridgestones, so hopefully mpg will improve further when I put some Yokohama E501 dB on it as soon as these wear out.)

• 3 weeks later...

third tank done:

# Date Miles Litres UK MPG Price City %

3 06/12/11 411.0 39.17 47.7 1.289 80%

2 22/11/11 460.0 39.24 53.3 1.299 60%

1 15/11/11 443.0 41.67 48.3 1.299 80%

that's an overall of 49.7mpg over the 3 tanks. reasonable?

i know there are different techniques to drive more economically but i try not to alter my driving style too much which isn't too bad anyway. i am hoping driving this like any other normal car (with some slight difference in technique) can return good mpg but i just cannot achieve it. 47.7 on my last tank is not bad, but i dont seem to be able to hit 55s-60s like some people on here and fuelly. apart from me not driving 100% economically, could it be the car?

It's about right for this time of year.

Yep, I'd agree.

My Gen3 is showing 49.7 on the trip which, as we all know, is a tad optimistic. I figure that the problems have been (top influences first):

1: my heavy right foot. Loads of runs under PWR when I was flogging the car because I was running late

2: cold weather, meaning:

2a: sitting stationary in the mornings with the engine running to defrost the car

2b: more sitting in stop/start traffic with engine going to heat the car

3: no long runs, virtually all short distance town / commuting in mostly stop/start traffic, so difficult to drive in an economy-aware style

On the other hand, there are some reasons why I might reasonably expect a higher MPG:

+ The tyres are original LRR from factory 1.5 years ago, note to self: must get tread checked (work has been hectic, even getting time to sleep is a challenge)

+ I do have the correct oil (after a saga!) after the car's first service

+ Mileage is 15k give or take, so car is run in OK

Advice to OP: explore some of the driving techniques you can use to optimise MPG in a Prius. (For example, pulse & glide. Minimising braking. Acceleration sense. Turning off heater - admittedly not easy at this season!) If you implement those techniques, they REALLY make a difference. That's the only way I was able to lift my average MPG into the 60MPG plus zone. I even got over 80 MPG on the Toyota Economy Challenge mixed route, as well as on a couple of decent 60 mile round trip runs in my own car, and others on here have done even better.

HTH

• 1 month later...

Right, trying to revive this thread with some new info.

Here are my latest consumption off Fuelly:

8 26/01/12 404.0 39.33 46.7 1.319 70%

7 15/01/12 380.0 36.56 47.3 1.299 80%

6 31/12/11 428.0 41.53 46.9 1.299 25%

5 24/12/11 383.0 36.85 47.2 1.289 80%

4 12/12/11 440.0 40.91 48.9 1.289 15%

3 06/12/11 411.0 39.17 47.7 1.289 80%

2 22/11/11 460.0 39.24 53.3 1.299 60%

1 15/11/11 443.0 41.67 48.3 1.299 80%

Result? No improvement but the weather doesn't help. At least it doesn't plunge through the 46mpg barrier. Let's hope warmer weather plus pumping up the tyres a week ago helps. I noticed the tyres went down to 30 odd psi from 42 psi within a week, is there a slow puncture or is that normal in this weather? If there is, I might need to replace all 4 because they're all the same - oh sugar!

Another issue I noticed over the past month is that my suspension squeaks. When passengers and I get in and out of the car, it squeaks like the sound of a trampoline. Is it just a simple case of getting Mr T to add some lubricants? I shall try some WD-40 later.

And I never got the answer for replacing front bulbs on the Gen 2, is this an easy job? I daren't get new bulbs if I can't fit it myself.

My problems are actually listed in detail in my previous reply.

It's not just a thread to voice concerns but also a place to record my progress with the car. Not to mention it is potentially useful for new comers to read about living with a Gen 2.

Soooo what's YOUR problem? If you haven't any useful input to add, I'd rather you not reply 'keyboard warrior'.

My problems are actually listed in detail in my previous reply.

It's not just a thread to voice concerns but also a place to record my progress with the car. Not to mention it is potentially useful for new comers to read about living with a Gen 2.

Soooo what's YOUR problem? If you haven't any useful input to add, I'd rather you not reply 'keyboard warrior'.

Oops, sorry, my problem was I didn't understand this was a journal to document your ownership experience. I don't have any problem with that. And I didn't intend any hostility by my question.

That's fine.

Maybe you could help answer my questions?

I don't think the front bulbs are too difficult on the Gen too. More fiddly than anything as they're awkward to get to.

Let's hope warmer weather plus pumping up the tyres a week ago helps. I noticed the tyres went down to 30 odd psi from 42 psi within a week, is there a slow puncture or is that normal in this weather? If there is, I might need to replace all 4 because they're all the same - oh sugar!

If you do have to replace the tyres, here's my recommendation: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133296

thanks, im hoping i dont have to replace it. but having to pump the tyres every 1-2 weeks is a hassle. it's sort of like a slow puncture when it drops from 42 to 30 psi within a week but it stops there and do not deflate any more. could it be the cold weather that is playing a trick on my tyres?

thanks guys!

the MPG finally plummeted below 46mpg for the last tank, is your MPG affected by the sub zero temp too?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links