Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Obdii Compliant

mystic

Does anyone know if the 2002 rav4 is OBDII compliant?

I can get hold of a OBDII and EOBD scanner which supports the following protocols:

CAN

KWP 2000

ISO 9141-2

PWM

VPW

But will it work on my car? Thanks for any help.

Should be. Mine is. Grovel on the floor and have a look behind the bonnet release. You will see a white connector. If you look on the main TOC page there is a thread about people who will freely read the codes for you , you are a bit too far from Yorkshire for me I'm afraid. Those codes btw are the standard heater circuit failure (it goes o/c).

Yes it's OBD2 compliant.

No that adaptor won't work.

You need Mini-VCI Xhorse J1534 for techstream for about $85 on eBay.

I'm not sure about Joylove's response. OBDII is a standard so I think it will read the codes. My 20-30 pound Geniscan GS300 specifically mentions that it works with all OBDII compliant(including CAN,VPW,PWM,ISO and KWP2000) protocols. Have a search on this forum. Code readers have been mentioned many times on here.

Either of those will work Charlie.

PS I tried to return your call- will try again tomorrow :thumbsup:

I'm not sure about Joylove's response. OBDII is a standard so I think it will read the codes. My 20-30 pound Geniscan GS300 specifically mentions that it works with all OBDII compliant(including CAN,VPW,PWM,ISO and KWP2000) protocols. Have a search on this forum. Code readers have been mentioned many times on here.

I have about 4 K line/KWP2000/VAGCOM/ISO9141 USB and RS232 adpators, they don't work. I had to buy a J1534 passthrough adaptor.

Code readers may work, but if you want Techstream or one or two of the aftermarket softwares that support passthrough, then you need the right adaptor protocol. The extra cost is due to the ARM CPU inside the adaptor.

I'd happily post a DIY like I've done for INPA on the BMW forums if it would help people, but I won't because it's frowned on which I can respect.

EDIT: Just saw the OP wanted a handheld scanner, I'll get back in my box :!Removed!: :!Removed!: :!Removed!:

thanks for the replies, left a little confused as there seems to be 'yes it will' and 'no it wont' posts.

i was looking at

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Any-Car-Diagnostic-Engine-Fault-Code-Scanner-Tool-OBD-/110700564253?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item19c6448f1d

Will this one work?

Cheers

Yes it will do. I see mine is on eBay at £16.95 . I paid more than that a couple of years ago and a used one has gone for £10.49 .

thanks a lot pmb :thumbsup:

Thought i would go for a slightly more expensive one as i have always brought cheap and it has always failed me in someway resulting in me having to pay twice as much by buying another..

• 10 months later...

I have about 4 K line/KWP2000/VAGCOM/ISO9141 USB and RS232 adpators, they don't work. I had to buy a J1534 passthrough adaptor.

Code readers may work, but if you want Techstream or one or two of the aftermarket softwares that support passthrough, then you need the right adaptor protocol. The extra cost is due to the ARM CPU inside the adaptor.

I'd happily post a DIY like I've done for INPA on the BMW forums if it would help people, but I won't because it's frowned on which I can respect....

Could you point me to the "J1534 passthrough adaptor" or the "DIY"? I have ELM compatible devices but need help to talked to the "Toyota special" KWP bus. Thanks!

I'd happily post a DIY like I've done for INPA on the BMW forums if it would help people, but I won't because it's frowned on which I can respect....

Could you point me to the "J1534 passthrough adaptor" or the "DIY"? I have ELM compatible devices but need help to talked to the "Toyota special" KWP bus. Thanks!

£26 here with a copy of techstream.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-MINI-VCI-FOR-TOYOTA-Software-TIS-Techstream-Interface-Cable-OBD2-OBDII-/120961240178