Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Boot Flooding

Rabbijon

Hi, I have a slight problem with water working its way into the boot at the spare wheel compartment. The rubber bungs at the bottom are in place. So water is working its way in from above, either the lights or somewhere else. What i would like to know is how to remove the cladding etc in the boot so i can better trace where the water is coming in. It seems to come from the rear passenger light as i can see small trails of water dripping from above where you access those sets of lights. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take off the panel in the boot to get at the jack' remove the jack and you will see a black platic vent there is one on both sides of the boot and these have been source of leaks on loads on of aurisis also the rear light cluster can be seen from there checkthis to

Are the black plastic vents you mention at the bottom where the spare wheel would sit?

Black vents are directly under light clusters,I've just had rear light cluster seals replaced for the 2nd time in 6 months,and also had vent seals replaced.

They are not under the spare wheel they are at the sides of the boot above the level of th boot mat the panels are at the sides and the vents are behind the panel about 3inch sq There was a big thread on this problem in the Auris club about 12 months ago

Is the only access to the lights the wee hatch just above the vents? Or is it possible to remove the carpet/cladding on the sides of the boots to get a better look etc?

They are not under the spare wheel they are at the sides of the boot above the level of th boot mat the panels are at the sides and the vents are behind the panel about 3inch sq There was a big thread on this problem in the Auris club about 12 months ago

Ill check it out, thanks monty2

Worth checking the fuel filler to body seal as water can get in there... I had that on a Carina years ago and and someone posted on this forum with an Auris and water ingress and so I mentioned it and they reported back that the fuel filler seal was the problem.

I had the same problem last year its not the vents that leak but the gasket between them and the bodywork. A week later the leak happened again and that was traced to the rear lights. I tried to find the topic but no joy

I had the same problem last year its not the vents that leak but the gasket between them and the bodywork. A week later the leak happened again and that was traced to the rear lights. I tried to find the topic but no joy

I rember reading the topic on boot leaks,cos i removed my spare to check if i may be having the same problem,but all was ok.

Using high pressure hose can cause leeks as can a car wash (which i do now and then).

Traced the leak to the driver side vent and possibly the rear paasenger light cluster. Would sealant from a well known hardware store do or is it best booked into the garage and spend a pooh load of money.

• 1 month later...

having a similar problem,did you get it sorted? My local Toyota dealer sevice has put sealant around the rear light cluster but say it may not work.

It's not very professional putting sealant around the tail lamps why didnt the fit new seals

• 1 year later...

Hi every one. I just joined the forum and i was shocked to see that about the TOYOTA AURIS boot leak. I also bought my Toyota Auris a 2009 reg in 2011. When i took it to my second service with Toyota sometime Late Last year (2012), a week later i noticed water was getting and flooding into my boot. I took it back to be checked why and they told me that they cant tell why water is getting in to my boot. They quoted me almost £400 to fix it. I am still not happy with the whole thing as its still a new car while all the others old cars which some were up to 10year old, never had or expirience this before.

Has someone got a throught this stuation to help us all who are in this forus with the same problem?

rear vent seals behind the bumper can fail and allow road spray to enter the boot area and drain into the wheel well and also rear light cluster seals can fail. Think there was a production change around late 09

Alex

I had the duct seals replaced on my auris under the dealers gurantee. Its solved the problem. I can send you the part no if you want.

Posting of the duct seal part number on the forum would be useful.

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies. I have not been watching this post. Not the best practice but I just used glaziers putty to seal where the leak came in. I traced it to above the rear tail light unit and placed some putty in above that. Problem was solved and never leaked in the remaining 12 months or so that I had the car for. Putty only visible when boot open and even then you had to be looking for it. When I traded it in mr T never said a thing. Nor did I. Oops.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the leaking fixed for free by Toyota as there is a technical service bulletin covering this problem, headline title can be found on tech docs. Mine is a 58 sr180 and was fixed last year foc.

Update 19-1-2015

This has happened again, this time to the other side.

The TSB reference is:

AURIS: Technical Service Bulletin

Rear combination lamp water entry

23 March 2010

BO-0045T-0310-T-EN-IR (en)

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 6/26/2013 at 7:27 AM, ellingtj said:

I had the leaking fixed for free by Toyota as there is a technical service bulletin covering this problem, headline title can be found on tech docs. Mine is a 58 sr180 and was fixed last year foc.

Update 19-1-2015

This has happened again, this time to the other side.

The TSB reference is:

AURIS: Technical Service Bulletin

Rear combination lamp water entry

23 March 2010

BO-0045T-0310-T-EN-IR (en)

Did they fix for free even though it is out of warranty etc?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links