Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cheap Way To Get More Power (Crankcase Ventilation And Fuel System)

nrgizerbunny

I thought I would just post my findings of experimentation with the fuel system on the CTS.

As many of you know I am upgrading my fuel system to cope with a supercharger, however in the process of doing this I've discovered some interesting and cheap ways to get a bit more power. Two stick out and are cheap mods.

1. Crankcase ventilation

One of the by products from the heat of combustion is the oil in the engine gets hot and some of it turns to vapour. To comply with emissions regulations and all that carry on, the 2zz-ge has a breather that goes from the engine block to the inlet manifold and a second breather which goes to the atmospheric side of the throttle plate.

I disconnected the breather from the atmospheric throttle plate side and blocked it on the body, I then put a small air filter onto the end of the hose.

For the other breather, I installed a catch can and one way valve between the inlet manifold and the crankcase.

The net result is you don't end up burning oil through your engine and more importantly, you don't end up pulling oil through the throttle and idle control valve.

2. I'm not totally sure how this mod works but since I did it, I have noticed a noticeable increase in top end.

I replaced the fuel pump from the Corolla to a Walbro. I didn't quite realise how rubbish the Corolla fuel pump was until I installed the new one. At high fuel flow rates (ie high engine RPM) the pressure drop in the fuel line is quite noticeable and the ECU compensates by opening the fuel injectors for longer.

Once I installed the high pressure fuel pump the top end was way more peeky. I am guessing the higher pressure allows the injectors to atomise the fuel better and the combustion is much better. This results in the fuel injectors being open for a shorter period of time.

Part Numbers Walbro GSS342 or HRC performance make a similar one too. I think they are both about £70.

Is the fuel pump on my compressor an upgrade from the CTS or are they the same?, i.e. is this something that would benefit me??

fuel pump on the compressor is the same as the standard CTS.

I think it is about good for 240hp not much more

Couple of us ran oil catch cans for a bit, I noticed the oil build up in the IACV and TB when i removed my inlet and TB.

When tsport786 had his intake manifold blasted and cleaned up we did notice it was alot more peaky so a clean up of the IACV and either a breather filter or catch can would benefit long term for sure to stop oil blow by.

The fuel pump is a good find aswell read up on new celica about it.

yeah it got better. was on 380miles on a tank and now on about 420 but its when you put your foot down when you really notice it.

Will this fit straight into a t sport without any modification?

Sort of plug and play?

Sounds like a worthwhile improvement for not much outlay, so i'm subscribing. :thumbsup:

Will this fit straight into a t sport without any modification?

Sort of plug and play?

are we on about the fuel pump or the catch can?

the HRC one will physically fit without any hassle apart from perhaps a bit of filing/sanding and that is just to aid installation.

If you go down the walbro route you'll need a flap wheel or a lathe.

only other consideration is the electrical connector (the new pump comes with one), you'll need a pair of pliers to crimp on the electrical connector but that's not really a big deal.

here's the two fuel pumps, OEM one is slightly shorter, I used a walbro so it is 1mm larger in its diameter so I had to machine the housing in photo 2. The HRC is the same diameter as the OEM one so you don't need to machine it. The only mod I made, is I filed the bottom bit a bit to make it easier to push into the housing.

309072_10150781685425634_549210633_20795621_6314245_n.jpg

here it is after I pushed it into the housing

308157_10150794502115634_549210633_20913572_965476927_n.jpg

My big mistake was chopping the internal pipe connectors, I found later on if you heat them with a hairdryer they come off and then you can reuse them. In any case I rebuilt the sender unit with new pvc pipe.

304937_10150794502955634_549210633_20913587_1382579377_n.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi nrgizerbunny! Can you please attach an image of your new breather setup? I'm not sure if I understood everything correctly - why did you install a one way valve, as there already is one way pcv valve i crankcase ventilation? How much oidl does your tank collect?

As for the fuel pump (as I'm planning to do both modifications on my tsport) - did you notice any increase in noise of the pump? Are there any downsizes of using a high-pressure pump?

Hi guys, this might be a bit off topic but from a full tank I get about 240 miles. I think this is less what do u guys think?

Btw I got a compressor with no mods.

Hi guys, this might be a bit off topic but from a full tank I get about 240 miles. I think this is less what do u guys think?

Btw I got a compressor with no mods.

No this is normal. I average between 16-27mpg depending on journeys ect.

The bit that is of interest if you have a NA car is from the cam cover, the two rubber hoses that come out of there will be the same no matter if you have a NA or a Supercharger.

is the fuel pump that i need a HRC GS342 HF 290 LPH?...if so do you think it would still be benefictial.. thanks

You need the 255LPH fuel pump.

Just be warned, a few people have tried to do the fuel pump mod and messed it up, broken regulators etc are not uncommon. so if you are going to do it be careful.

thanks for the feedback and the info il have a look at one of the guides on here for some info about the job pretty sure i seen one somewhere n get a techie in work to help us out if im not up to it