Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing Bulbs Behind Centre Console

movistargsxr

Hi,

I am looking to replace several blown bulbs from behind my Corolla E12 centre console. The console is the manual air-con version and the bulbs illuminate the three dials:

image0143u.jpg

I have removed the centre console:

image0136h.jpg

But I cannot remove the white plastic part or the two bulbs from it (left bulb is blown):

image0138q.jpg

With power off:

image0135m.jpg

This is the problem at night:

image0134l.jpg

If anyone could shed some light on how to remove either of these bulbs or the white plastic part please. My apologies for the poor picture quality as I only have an old Nokia to take pics with at the moment!

• 3 months later...

I know this thread is a few months old now but thought id answer anyway as i had to do this at the weekend.

Behind the white peice there is 1 clip on either side, push these down and pull the white part out.

On the reverse next to the wiring harness there are two white tabs, move these to pull the wiring plug out, this will remove the bulb carriers making it easy to change the bulbs!

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I have exactly the same problem now, I read MrMeatball85 's answer but it is still not clear for me. Would you or someone else explain to me what is it that you supposed to do behind white plastic (see the picture below) that would enable me to remove the dark colored plastic that actually holds those two light bulbs?

I did disconnect the wire harness from this white base, but what puzzles me is that why the dark colored plastic is hooked up to the white harness base and how do you free up the dark plastic piece so that I can completely remove it in order to replace the light bulbs in it?

IMG_2471.jpg

• 1 month later...

You don‘t have to remove the white plastic part in order to change those two bulbs.

Here is my Corolla center console:

editpreviewsp.jpg
Both of my two center console bulbs were blown:
p1010145ru.jpg

I’ve managed to change the bulbs by using bent long nose pliers. Try using this type of pliers. Just be careful not to break the bulb, because it’s really easy to damage the bulb glass with metal pliers. You can try wrapping the bulb with some thin piece of cloth or paper before extracting the bulb with the pliers.

bentlongnosepliers.jpg
Installing the new bulbs is a bit harder than removing the old ones. I happened to break one bulb during the installation, so it’s good idea to have some extra bulbs just in case.
p1010151small.jpg

Also do not perform this job alone. Get someone to help you. Once you align the new bulb, it’s
easier to insert the bulb into socket when somebody else is pushing the socket from the backside of the white plastic part.

Be patient, don't get nervous, don't apply too much force and you will succeed.

In the end, the bulbs will be shining:

p1010147sz.jpg
p1010148small.jpg

By the way, MrMeatball85, could you please explain how you managed to remove the bulb carriers? Removing the bulb carriers would make the bulb change process much more convenient than using the bent pliers.

Putting some pictures on the removal of bulb carriers would be awesome.