Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Oil Grade For 1.6 Petrol

uzyg

Hi all,

The wife has an Auris and since getting married it’s now up to me to keep it maintained and of course the car has been passed over to me with a few niggling faults.

I have been trawling the net to find some detailed info on the Auris but not had much luck. Thankfully found this forum and so I will be seeking much advice from here for as long as we have the car!

First question - We can’t seem to find the manual so can you let me know what grade oil is advised for a 1.6 petrol 57 plate Auris with 46k on the clock? Does the car take 4.5 Litres?

I know in some cases whatever the manufacturer recommends isn’t always what retailers such as Halfords and Castrol and Opie Oils recommend.

Thanks.

Hi,oil capacity is 4.2 ltrs.with filter change. 5w 30 grade.(use mobile esp myself).

If you buy on eBay you will get it much cheaper than Halfords etc.you should also be abe to find a handbook on there,but a toyota dealer will be able to order one for you.they are very handy to have.

welcome to TOC.

• Like 1

Any branded 5w 30 PFE semi synthetic is recommended for your car

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I thought it was fully synthetic engine oil? What do the Toyota dealers put in, synthetic or semi synthetic? I had a recent service and want to stick to the same type!

It is down to Toyota dealers to decide what brand of oil to use, whether to use semi or fully synthetic, etc.

Under the Block Exemption regulations car manufacturers cannot stipulate what should be used, only what the preferences or recommendations are.

See: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/148358-engine-oil/

Don't use a semi synth oil if you value your car! As you never know how much full synth is in there. A full synth or even better an ester oil is the way to go. ESP is a good oil as my mate has said above! But also look at the less well know brands like Triple QX from ECP sister site- cheapcarparts. I use there 5-40 full synth in my gt4 205 as its the highest grade (SN) AND ITS FANTASTIC . And at £11.55 delivered its stunning cheap for a 5L can when you use code "Saveme75" at check out.

looks like the oil is re-branded Shell Helix Ultra to me.

I thought it was fully synthetic engine oil? What do the Toyota dealers put in, synthetic or semi synthetic? I had a recent service and want to stick to the same type!

A dealer will put the cheapest oil in that meets the manufacturer spec! The cheaper they buy it for! The more profit for the dealer! Always take your own oil for sevice and get them to knock off there price of oil! And watch them do it!...

Phoned the toyota dealership who serviced my car 2 years ago and they tole me they had used semi-synthetic in it the last time. Wanted to sell me a 1L can for £5 :ermm: Ummm, no thanks!

Not sure I trust what they say..... did they really use semi synthetic??? In which case should I stick to semi or could I go fully synthetic?

Go fully synth...

Don't use a semi synth oil if you value your car! As you never know how much full synth is in there. A full synth or even better an ester oil is the way to go. ESP is a good oil as my mate has said above! But also look at the less well know brands like Triple QX from ECP sister site- cheapcarparts. I use there 5-40 full synth in my gt4 205 as its the highest grade (SN) AND ITS FANTASTIC . And at £11.55 delivered its stunning cheap for a 5L can when you use code "Saveme75" at check out.

Triple QX oil is made by Onxy Oil in Holland - its a myth that it's Shell. Have a look for one of their product PDF's - the packaging is identical to Triple QX stuff and im nearly sure it mentions something about the netherlands on triple qx oil labels.

That said ive heard nothing but good reports about it, as you say as long as it meets the specs it will be absolutely fine.

The petrol 1.6 Auris needs 5w30 A1 oil of any brand. The stuff from toyota dealers is as cheap as anywhere.

"We can’t seem to find the manual"

You can now download some owners manuals (pdf) by registering at https://customerportal.toyota-europe.com/login/index.html

and, once registered an logged in, visiting the E-manuals section.

The earliest one they have for the Auris is for the 2009 model - but that will be better than what you have now (nothing).

Triple QX oil is made by Onxy Oil in Holland - its a myth that it's Shell. Have a look for one of their product PDF's - the packaging is identical to Triple QX stuff and im nearly sure it mentions something about the netherlands on triple qx oil labels.

That said ive heard nothing but good reports about it, as you say as long as it meets the specs it will be absolutely fine.

The petrol 1.6 Auris needs 5w30 A1 oil of any brand. The stuff from toyota dealers is as cheap as anywhere.

Are you absolutely sure about this? The reason I ask is I looked up the oil company using your spelling of it and can't find it! Have you got a link to them as I'd love to ser the data on the TBN ang VI and flash point numbers. I seem to remember on the ECP web site that it says in blended in the UK. I haven't go the can with me so will check later.

The only other oil manufacturer I found was called- Onyx oil! But can't find SN grades on there like the Triple QX has printed on the label?. But saying that... I only had a very quick look.

Are you absolutely sure about this? The reason I ask is I looked up the oil company using your spelling of it and can't find it! Have you got a link to them as I'd love to ser the data on the TBN ang VI and flash point numbers. I seem to remember on the ECP web site that it says in blended in the UK. I haven't go the can with me so will check later.

The only other oil manufacturer I found was called- Onyx oil! But can't find SN grades on there like the Triple QX has printed on the label?. But saying that... I only had a very quick look

Sorry you are quite right! - Onix oil!

http://www.onixoil.com/_documenten/Onixoil_Brochure_Passenger_Cars%20Oils.pdf

Compare the packaging to triple qx - its identical! I have read on a few forums that its Onix oil! The specs may not be identical to oil from the Onixoil brochure, as its made by them for ECP!

The only other oil manufacturer I found was called- Onyx oil! But can't find SN grades on there like the Triple QX has printed on the label?. But saying that... I only had a very quick look

Sorry you are quite right! - Onix oil!

http://www.onixoil.com/_documenten/Onixoil_Brochure_Passenger_Cars Oils.pdf

Compare the packaging to triple qx - its identical! I have read on a few forums that its Onix oil! The specs may not be identical to oil from the Onixoil brochure, as its made by them for ECP!

Many thanks for the link. It does look like the same spec to me. Can't find the specs on it... like the Viscosity Index numbers or data. Apart from the normal manufacturer stuff. Bet they are keeping that bit out of reach...

carparts4less doing 5w30 5L A1 for under £12! use coupon code saveme75 :clap:

Well got the oil and it says A3/B3 not A1 as in the description. Have had a look on the net and there seems to be a lot of discussion about the diferences between A1 and A3 but no definitive conclusion. My Auris is a 1.6 petrol with 46k miles. Will it harm the engine if I put in A3 oil?

Edit : It's actually A5/B5

I can't see it doing any harm but I'd prob stick to the A1 grade, I think that's what it says in the handbook

Stick with what it says in the owners handbook! Toyotas are very funny about grade and specs of oil!

It turns out the oil they sent me is A5/B5, so according to the ACEA the 5w-30 oil meets the spec of A1/B1

(from www.acea.be/uploads/publications/2012_ACEA_Oil_Sequences.pdf)

A/B : gasoline and diesel engine oils

A1/B1 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in gasoline engines and car & light van diesel
engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a high temperature / high shear rate
viscosity of 2.6 mPa*s for xW/20 and 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s for all other viscosity grades. These oils are unsuitable for use in
some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines
and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of low viscosity
oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.

A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and direct injection diesel engines, but also
suitable for applications described under A3/B3.

A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline engines and car
& light van diesel engines designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High
shear rate (HTHS) viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual
or handbook if in doubt.

• 3 years later...

I used 5w-30  SEMI synthetic triple qx oil for my last service after asking toyota huddersfield which oil they normally use (they use semi synth 5w-30) as it was quite cheap. 

I have just come across Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG Engine Oil - 5W-30 - 5ltr at ECP for £16 odd using code "hotshell1". I have checked the Shell website and this is compatible with the 1.6 petrol auris 07 plate and it's FULLY SYNTHETIC too.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Toyota_Auris_1.6_2007/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/engineoils/5w30-engine-oil/?521772241&0&cc5_247

My car is currently on 75k miles - I'm not sure whether to stick to the 5w-30 or to use a slightly higher viscosity such as 10w-40 as the miles are getting higher and some people advise using slightly thicker oil as the seals can be wearing so thinner oil may be more liable to leak etc. Anyone else have any views or using more thicker oil than recommended?

Thanks,

PS: Oil filter Bosch is available for £3.43 from CP4L too to complete the kit for oil & filter change for under £20.

The Toyota recommendation for pre Optimal Drive engines is 5W-30 to API SL, SM or higher. No stipulation as regards semi or fully synthetic.

• 10 months later...

just changed my oil at 83k miles (previous changed at ~67k miles) with Shell AG fully synthetic 5w/30, was using semi-synthetic triple qx from ECP from 42k-67k, will see if efficiency/performance improve.