Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Eco Off Went Permanently Off?

Matthew Cachia

This is more like an update to you all on how I'm going with the 2011 Auris TR, however any help/tips are kindly received :)

It's my third month with the car - consumption is getting better peaking at 41mpg (considering I live in a very car-population dense country like Malta with heck-load of traffic, no highways and just one bypass in which I can top 120km/hr tops). Car looks stable although minor rattles in the suspension system (I believe) whenever the road gets a bit bumpy (very common in Malta .... very) but nothing much to complain. Clutch got much smoother which is turning out to be fun to drive; USB, bluetooth, reverse parking sensors... everything is top notch.

My only complaint is the Start/Stop system which comes with the 1.33L.

I usually switch it off since I rarely come to a halt in traffic for long periods so I was finding it stressful on the engine/battery to switch off then on again in less than 10 seconds. I only used start/stop whenever I know I'm coming to a halt in a traffic light (which tends to stay red for one good minute).

Sadly, the engine fails to turn off with the start/stop. Engine temperature is good (normal operating temp after 30mins driving), outside temp is good and I'm driving normally. I'm puzzled as to why it fails to turn off - it's like the ECO switch is stuck on 'off' mode since the ECO OFF light comes on when the car is supposed to turn off.

I'll be taking it to my dealer to check it out - I'll let you know of the outcome!

Sounds like there is a fault with the system, however it is very sensitive to the slightest touch on the clutch pedal, just make sure your foot is away from the pedal, even the slightest touch and the car will switch off

The start/stop system is designed in such a way that the starter motor is in constant contact with the flywheel and is designed to be stop/started, not with the key but automatically. There are a number of factors that make it work, from memory, if the A/C is on, the stop/start does not work

kingo :thumbsup:

Strange that it only reaches operating temp after 30 mins of driving. Mine reaches it after only a couple of miles or five minutes. Even in cold weather. Perhaps there's a connection.

Then again my stop start has a mind of its own, when I expect it to turn off the engine ( at long delay lights) it doesn't and when I think it will not,( at inter sections) it does. I think its all down to the Battery loading.

My Eco light comes on at idle even without the stop start kicking in.

Hope you get it sorted.

Sounds like there is a fault with the system, however it is very sensitive to the slightest touch on the clutch pedal, just make sure your foot is away from the pedal, even the slightest touch and the car will switch off

The start/stop system is designed in such a way that the starter motor is in constant contact with the flywheel and is designed to be stop/started, not with the key but automatically. There are a number of factors that make it work, from memory, if the A/C is on, the stop/start does not work

kingo :thumbsup:

Many thanks for your reply.

The cluch is very sensitive I agree, so I make sure my leg won't rest on the clutch. Also, the engine used to switch off even when the A/C is on - you just feel that the cold air's cut off (naturally).

Strange that it only reaches operating temp after 30 mins of driving. Mine reaches it after only a couple of miles or five minutes. Even in cold weather. Perhaps there's a connection.

Then again my stop start has a mind of its own, when I expect it to turn off the engine ( at long delay lights) it doesn't and when I think it will not,( at inter sections) it does. I think its all down to the battery loading.

My Eco light comes on at idle even without the stop start kicking in.

Hope you get it sorted.

Sorry for the misunderstanding - the engine reaches operating temp after just a few mins. I happened to test the start/stop after 30mins of driving (pictures attached in an earlier reply).

Thanks for your reply btw.

Update: the car decided to work with start/stop again!

Nothing's changed since then ... I'll inform the dealer just the same with the odd behaviour.

Hi Matthew,

I would be interested to know what the dealer says. I posted a thread a while ago on my 1.33 stop start here,

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=111738

Nothing has really changed since then. Most of the time it's fine then suddenly it decides it won't work (which I presume it "knows" what its doing) and then without warning all is back to normal again. Like others say, my ECO light comes on when I stop but the engine doesn't.

The system should have far more user defined settings imo. I would like to see a setting whereby the air con/heater could be set to cut out if stopped for more than 25 seconds as this is the maximum stop time if these are on. Turn them off and there seems no limit on how long it will stay stopped. 25 seconds is not long enough.

When it is working (which to be fair is most of the time) it will operate within 0.5 mile (at a guestimate) from a fully cold start.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links