Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 3Dr Alternative

howardm

Hi,

Probably not the place for this, but, what the hell.

After 8 years of contentment with the 3 - 3dr RAV4's, I am looking for an alternative.

The new 5 door is TOOO BIG.!

The 3dr Suzuki Vitara looks good, has a diff lock too.!, has anyone tried one.?

thx

Howard

Hi,

Probably not the place for this, but, what the hell.

After 8 years of contentment with the 3 - 3dr RAV4's, I am looking for an alternative.

The new 5 door is TOOO BIG.!

thx

Howard

Had a 1600cc petrol MK2 ragtop for a couple of years. Loads of fun, pretty crude but quite rugged. Very capable offroad for what it was.

Noisy and, in the back, quite uncomfortable as seats are over the rear wheels.

Had virtually nil boot space but could carry lengthy items with the roof off or rear window unzipped.

Took it places I wouldn't consider taking the RAV. Would have kept it longer but became prone to oil leakage. HTH

Hi,

thx

Howard

Hi Howard,

I know what you mean. When casting around for a replacement for the 4.2, I felt that the 4.3 had was too big and wide for me. It probably was'nt but that is what it felt like and TBH the hi spec 4.3s were pricey. I have had a 5dr Grand Vitara for 18 months/22000 miles now and by and large I am pleased with it. I test drove the 3dr but that was petrol only and I wanted a diesel. I liked the price and the diff lock and low ratio options, the leather seats (which have proved firm but comfortable for my bad back on long runs down thru France)and I have definitely learned to appreciate cruise control. Apart from the servicing costs of the diesel and higher tyre wear than the RAV 4.2 had I have been happy with it. Off road and in last winter's snow it was good. Last autumn in the French Pyrenees we hit the routes forestieres and mountain tracks with it and a few times found ourselves over ten miles from tarmac. The ride is hard but I like that. It doesn't roll and the handling is better and lighter than I thought it would be. Test drive it and form your own opinion. What suits me may or may not suit you.

Whatever you do, don't even think about the Jimny thing. A real contradiction. The best thing I have ever driven around fields and rough stuff but correspondingly horrible on ordinary roads.

And unless you want to talk lift kits and scary tyres with Canucks and Ozzies, the Suzi forums are not a patch on this one for the courtesy and quality of help available.

Right........... I'll get my coat. :unsure:

Well............I am going to go for it.

I am so disappointed with cars in general, all going with boring front wheel drive.

Especially Toyota, killing the MR2, now the 3dr RAV the end of 10 years of Toyota ownership.

Suzuki, here I come, cash in hand.

Howard

I have been considering changing my 3 Dr for a while now.

But nothing matches its,size & overall driving pleasure and permant 4x4 for the type of vehicle it is.

New Rav's are just too plain looking for me,no 3 door & no low range (sorry folks)

Have looked and test driven the new Vitara,but to me it was farely harsh & noisy in 3 door guise,but if it had low range i would have gone for it and got used to it.

I keep looking at various Land cruisers,Colorado's,Hilux Surf's...but i have to go for m to s reg,for a price i can afford,that vehicle will be older than my Rav4 & with higher mileage.

Seriously tempted on an older Land Cruiser 80 or Colorado ( Amazon too big...but luuuvly),see them for sale locally with 180'000 miles on clock,still look new.

But the 4.2 diesel is a tad too thirsty....perhaps £80 on fuel......ouch

Dare I say it, Landrover Freelander!!!!!!!!!!!!

People slate them for reliability but for comfort and off road performance beat the Rav4 hands down. Just my opinion thou as I own both.

So far the Freelander has just suffered little electrical problems, nothing serious to stop it driving (Electric Windows,ABS sensors, door locks) The Rav4 0 problems and I`ve had the rav longer.

But to me my Rav4.2 is noisey,and has a harsh/stiffer suspension setup. Also louder with wind noise on motorways.

My Freelander 2000 TD4 Auto is smoooth/comfortable and quiet as compared to the Rav. You also sit higher have more boot space and generally feels more roomy inside............Maybe because it is bigger? I dont know.

It also seems to be more capable of heavy loads/Towing etc. looks stronger built chassis and suspension wise as compared to the Rav.

I would not have belived this either until I bought it.

Just my 2p`s worth

When Toyota dropped the 3 door Rav4 i was very disappointed, i had two of them over the years and still keep an eye on the very last 2005 models. To replace one today with a new vehicle, the 3 door Suzuki Vitara 2.4 is the only vehicle on the market that come close to the Rav4, the styling is an acquired taste but ticks all the other boxes...good luck if you decide to get one.

Urbancruiser 1.4D4D AWD, I,ve got one. I,ve had a 3 door Rav and a T180 and have got to admit it is an underestimated replacement for the Rav4 3 door. Ok it,s only a 1.4 but boy it has bags of torque and is lovely to drive. Not repeat not to be confused with the 2wd petrol version which is rubbish. Well worth a test drive

Regards Clare

Guy at work just brought a new Suzuki vitara 5dr... I know it's not the 3dr but the model is the same even with less doors.. It looks very nice inside and out.. I asked where the spare wheel was now.. And he said he has a can of get you home gunk and a mini pump.. Hmmmmm on a 4x4 a spray can.. That will be the only pain...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links