Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible Misfire

Steve84

Hi all, my t180 seems to have developed a slight miss fire. The car has done 61k had a new engine at 51k due to high oil consumption, plus new egr valve and 5th injector de-coke. The car has been trouble free for the last few months after being off the road earlier this year for 15 weeks with a high idling problem. Back to the miss fire issue its pulls fine in 1st 2nd and ok in 3rd till around 3000rpm then seems to stutter then gets past 3600rpm and all is ok. I'm well aware that peak bhp is at 3600rpm but the car has never done this in the 4 years i've owned it and the 60k i've drove it. If i change to 4th at 2800rpm no issues even at 70mph in 6th it will still pull without any problems until it gets to 3000rpm it seems to be holding back. The stuttering only happens when under full throttle, the car has a full toyota service history, only been run on Shell diesel, i've tried injector cleaner still the car stutters at full throttle in 3rd gear or higher but only for 600 rpms that being 3000-3600ish. Any ideas would be welcome has the only time i can get to the dealers is at weekends but have plans which involve doing about 2500 miles over the next 4 weeks. So hoping is something i can check myself.

thanks in advance

steve

Hi all, my t180 seems to have developed a slight miss fire. The car has done 61k had a new engine at 51k due to high oil consumption, plus new egr valve and 5th injector de-coke. The car has been trouble free for the last few months after being off the road earlier this year for 15 weeks with a high idling problem. Back to the miss fire issue its pulls fine in 1st 2nd and ok in 3rd till around 3000rpm then seems to stutter then gets past 3600rpm and all is ok. I'm well aware that peak bhp is at 3600rpm but the car has never done this in the 4 years i've owned it and the 60k i've drove it. If i change to 4th at 2800rpm no issues even at 70mph in 6th it will still pull without any problems until it gets to 3000rpm it seems to be holding back. The stuttering only happens when under full throttle, the car has a full toyota service history, only been run on shell diesel, i've tried injector cleaner still the car stutters at full throttle in 3rd gear or higher but only for 600 rpms that being 3000-3600ish. Any ideas would be welcome has the only time i can get to the dealers is at weekends but have plans which involve doing about 2500 miles over the next 4 weeks. So hoping is something i can check myself.

thanks in advance

steve

I'd be looking at the EGR valve and MAF sensor for a good clean. What injector cleaner have you used? Try some BG244 if you haven't already. Was it Shell V-Power derv that you used?

I used Toyota injector cleaner, and Shell normal diesel which i've always used. EGR valve, maf sensor all clean. Think its gonna be a trip to the dealers i'm now thinking it could be an injector issue thanks for the advice.

I used Toyota injector cleaner, and shell normal diesel which i've always used. EGR valve, maf sensor all clean. Think its gonna be a trip to the dealers i'm now thinking it could be an injector issue thanks for the advice.

No probs mate. Hope you get it sorted :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Car is still in the garage been in there since end of November. had the egr valve cleaned, intake manifold de-coked, took car away still the problem was still there returned car took a technician out with me he then felt the problem. The car then had the turbo reconditioned by turbo Technic's. i then collected the car the problem was still no better. I then returned the car to the garage but due to the Christmas holidays was unable to get the car booked back in, was told has there was no warning lights on i would be ok to drive the car. On my way to the coast Christmas eve the car broke down engine management light VSC and traction control light came on the car would not rev above 2000 revs. The aa came out to me and put there scanner on the car and found fault codes relating to dpf issues. The car is used on motorways and dual carriage ways does very little round town driving. I drive 20000 miles a year at least, so why the dpf should clog up and fail is a mystery to me. I only use Shell diesel and the car is serviced by toyota. The garage called me friday to say they will be looking at replacing the DPF when they return to work in the new year. On the whole the car has been a nightmare to live with its broken down 3 times in the last 7 months, been of the road in the garage for 12 weeks at least. Have made phone calls to toyota customer relations regarding the sub standard quality of there products. The dealership has been ace i cannot fault them in anyway. Has for toyota customer relations they are about has much use has a chocolate fire guard. For a car i've owned for 4 years it has been nothing short of a nightmare this last 7 months.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. Mine is doing exactly the same as yours. What was the outcome in the end? I have had a brand new egr valve fitted in December 2011. Has been a lot better to drive except for this problem.

Thanks in advance.

hi got car back 2 weeks ago new dpf and some turbo hoses due to them starting to spilt and car is all fine now pulls like a train. The issue i did have was my toyota extended warranty would not pay fot the dpf due to it being blocked with carbon. So i made more calls to toyota gb and they came around to my way of thinking that the carbon was caused by my old engine burning vast amounts of oil.

Thanks for getting back to me. What is the dpf? And how much were you being quoted if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks once again

• 2 weeks later...

its the diesel particle filter it stops all the soot that most diesels produce. what it does is ever 200 miles or so is carries out a regeneration cycle which involves injecting diesel in to the diesel particle filter. I was quoted £1200 for a new dpf which is about the going rate. I work in the motor trade and its not just toyota having dpf isues but VW and that includes all VW group cars audi, skoda, seat etc. Have you checked your oil consumption. If you use oil and you got service history you can have a new engine fitted. Toyota ad series engines have oil consumption problems from 2005 till 2009.