Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shell V Power Derv

g7jtk

Does anybody use Shell V power derv in their U/C D4D?

If so do you think it makes any difference? I have just put some in my Discovery TD5 just to see. Can't tell yet

I use it on and off on my Yaris D4D, which uses similar but older version of the same engine.

I mainly use it to clean out the injectors, but I find it does change the engine characteristics a bit. Most noticeable thing is it quietens down the diesel clatter. Performance-wise, I find I loose some low-end torque, but the engine seems to rev up more eagerly, and you can run it into the higher revs a bit further before the power starts to tail off.

All pretty minor things and not really worth the extra cost IMHO, but it costs about as much as stuffing some Redex into the tank (Except you're putting better quality fuel into the car rather than just additives ;)) so I use it as an occasional 'treat' every 3-4 tanks to help keep the engine clean, or if I'm empty and know that I'm going on a long motorway run in the near future.

I've only ever used V-Power in my Avensis. Its got twice the additive package to there normal derv and its a man made fuel. There is a massive difference when you go and clean out the EGR valve. It looks like a black velvet thin coating os soot compared to the black caked on carbon that I've seen on most valves. But there again I do use BG244 as well so this would also help lube the fuel pump ect and clean the spray patten of the injectors.

You do get more mpg over "Normal" derv! so the extra cost doesnt make a lot of difference in the long run and if you also join the V-Power club (Free) you get money vouchers back. I buy my V-Power for £1.45 which is derv cheap! :thumbsup:

Engines can run quieter and I`ve found cleaner on V-Power diesel which is an added bonus if your vehicle is fitted with a DPF.

How do I know ? because during the time I had it my DPF equipped 2.7d Jag didn`t regenerate half as often and I never had a `DPF full` warning light on the dash when fuelled by V-Power.

I`ll continue to use it. :)

So by the sound of it it's quieter, cleaner and goes a bit further than ordinary derv but ends up costing about the same.

Might try some V power in the disco when it goes for next MOT. Not that it has been a problem so far

Your lucky, we can,t get diesel Vpower on the Isle of Man, but I,ve used BG244 on Mistermena,s recommendation and did notice a difference.

Regards Clare

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Mistermena I get a light velvety soot on my egr running !Removed! fuels.......hardly noticable........no need for super man fuels in my rav?

3 legged one: just add some 2 stroke for lubrication and petrol for cleaning and more power to your diesel.

:-)

I might have a go at the 2 stroke oil in the fuel!... Gitta do some more googling! :help2: :help2: :nerd::g::icon14:

I might have a go at the 2 stroke oil in the fuel!... Gitta do some more googling! :help2: :help2: :nerd::g::icon14:

I`ve used it in a few vehicles, this is one one the best threads

http://www.freel2.co...m/topic878.html

Nice one mate... I'll have a look at it :clap:

Landrover owners seem to love the 2 stroke in the diesel? More mpg, more torque, quiter engine and cleaner exhaust gases are the claims?

I have now ran 400mł in 2 tank fulls, any havnt noticed any difference

Even when using 2 stroke oil you dont notice any improvements in noise,mpg or performance your at least getting something to replace the lack of lubrication in the latest diesel fuels.it can only do good for the injection systems mainly the injectors

which cost an arm and a leg to replace.

As it burns cleaner than diesel fuel its not going to have any effect on DPF or CATS.

If i still had a diesel car i would not think twice about using it.

So you fill the tank with diesel, how much 2 stroke do you puy in the tank ( Blond moment)

Regards Clare

So you fill the tank with diesel, how much 2 stroke do you puy in the tank ( Blond moment) Regards Clare

I`ve used both and recommend MIllers if you want to add something to your diesel.

Its more convenient to use and will work out cheaper

diesel.jpg

So you fill the tank with diesel, how much 2 stroke do you puy in the tank ( Blond moment) Regards Clare

Or just use Shell V-Power

Even when using 2 stroke oil you dont notice any improvements in noise,mpg or performance your at least getting something to replace the lack of lubrication in the latest diesel fuels.it can only do good for the injection systems mainly the injectors

which cost an arm and a leg to replace.

As it burns cleaner than diesel fuel its not going to have any effect on DPF or CATS.

If i still had a diesel car i would not think twice about using it.

In the Rav I cant say I`ve noticed any difference? but I do not do a lot of milegae so it may have slowly crept up on me??? 5k per year max

I do however feel better that there is some extra lubrication in my fuel system..

But like you say others swear by it, and I can really see how it can work, Its just I personally in the Rav have felt no benefits, but then again I never felt any differences using super fuels?

But knowing the extra lube in there is doing me good, is something

Just my opinion, but I belive all that is in super diesel is a bit of petrol and 2 stroke oil.........I accidently put 5L or petrol in the Diesel freelander, topped up with diesel, and it seemed to run better.???????

So you fill the tank with diesel, how much 2 stroke do you puy in the tank ( Blond moment)

Regards Clare

I usually put in 400ml of mineral oil 2 stroke in the tank before a fill up, so that it mixes in the tank when you fill up with diesel..............Tescos sell the stuff for around £5 for 1 litre

worth a try, I heard its great in minis too, have a look on the mini forums to see what they say.

Its BMW who started this craze in the 1st place

Theres no time anyone should put petrol in a modern diesel it's a potentially explosive mix and not suitable for modern high-pressure common rail diesel injection pumps because it decreases the lubricity of the fuel :no:

I don't put petrol in all the time, I did it one by accident, no major damage caused??

I was lucky I think,

I've heard people putting in old engine oil into diesel? Transit vans etc.

You want to take a look at the landrover forums, they put allsorts, into their diesel.

• 1 month later...

I have given up useing V power derv as it was either a 22 mile round trip to the nearest supplier or relying on taking the Discovery to do the shopping run. I didn't notice any benefit to useing V power either.

I have given up useing V power derv as it was either a 22 mile round trip to the nearest supplier or relying on taking the Discovery to do the shopping run. I didn't notice any benefit to useing V power either.

The choice was always yours :)

Yes it was, but I wanted to see if there was any difference. At more than £120 to fill the tank it was only an experiment and the vehicle being a Land Rover and the U/C belonging to the Wife this was only an attempt to get some traffic on here. Being that it is a hot topic it worked.

It does seem that V-Power diesel has more of an effect on high-revving diesel engines like the 1.4 D4D, whereas on lower revving ones like the Ford Duratorq and whatever's in my mates Passat it doesn't seem to make any noticeable performance difference. I expect it still helps clean them out tho' and the Passat in particular ran a lot cleaner! (Waaay less soot blasting out the back when giving it the beans ;))

I dont think you'll find a better diesel than V-Power! GTL derv is deff the way to go over Dino fuels. When you consider the price difference compaired to "Normal" derv it seems expensive, but when you factory in the more mpg you get out of the tank (And the V-Power money back vouchers, which I've just had sent) its well worth having it! especially when it has twice the additive package to keep and clean the internal parts of your car running sweet.

• Like 1

Mistermena can you explain what GTL and dino derv is please? I've no idea :D

I'm also of the thinking that the v power will only benifit high performance engines, that can make use if it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links