Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Led Lights And Fuses?

branney

1990 Corolla GTi

Just replaced rear/brake lights with LED bulbs. 2 days later my electric passenger window no longer works. This is the first time I have had any electrical fault, so is it just coincidence? The bulbs are both still working, however...

One theory I had was if the bulbs have a lower resistance, they will draw more current. Can I resolve this easily and cheaply?

Could this be dangerous to my 21 year old wiring, eg. a fire risk?

Is it likely to cause fuses to blow? If so, would it only be the lighting fuses, or potentially other ones such as the window motor? Does anyone know what other electical items would be on the same circuit as these lights?

1990 Corolla GTi

Just replaced rear/brake lights with LED bulbs. 2 days later my electric passenger window no longer works. This is the first time I have had any electrical fault, so is it just coincidence? The bulbs are both still working, however...

Very much doubt it unless you have been messing around with the common wiring areas.

Not sure about the older models, but the later ones do have a passenger window lockout switch on the drivers side - have you activated that ? or first check the relevant fuses.

One theory I had was if the bulbs have a lower resistance, they will draw more current. Can I resolve this easily and cheaply?

Could this be dangerous to my 21 year old wiring, eg. a fire risk?

Is it likely to cause fuses to blow? If so, would it only be the lighting fuses, or potentially other ones such as the window motor? Does anyone know what other electical items would be on the same circuit as these lights?

The original rear bulbs had a fuse, on the later models rated at 15 amp.

Your led replacements will never draw anything near that current.

However if they did short out, becuase of the large 15amp fuse it could burn, so fitting a much smaller inline fuse by the rears could be a good idea.

Cannot say what size fuse as you give no details of the leds fitted.

If the leds you bought are rated for 12v use then no additional current limiting resistors are needed.

Very much doubt it unless you have been messing around with the common wiring areas.

Not sure about the older models, but the later ones do have a passenger window lockout switch on the drivers side - have you activated that ? or first check the relevant fuses.

all i did was replace the bulbs in the rear lighting housings.

there is a green light which lights up on both driver's door switches. only one of them is now lit.

i assume it is not the lockout, as i can't make the window move with either the passenger window switch in the passenger door, or the passenger window switch in the driver's door.

i will check again just in case!

The original rear bulbs had a fuse, on the later models rated at 15 amp.

Your led replacements will never draw anything near that current.

However if they did short out, becuase of the large 15amp fuse it could burn, so fitting a much smaller inline fuse by the rears could be a good idea.

Cannot say what size fuse as you give no details of the leds fitted.

If the leds you bought are rated for 12v use then no additional current limiting resistors are needed.

many thanks for this info. just what i need!

these are the bulbs, by the way (cheap and cheerful!) :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-360-degree-36-LED-1157-LIGHT-BULB-380-BAY-15D-5W-NEW-/110612643150?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c106fd4e

there is a green light which lights up on both driver's door switches. only one of them is now lit.

i assume it is not the lockout, as i can't make the window move with either the passenger window switch in the passenger door, or the passenger window switch in the driver's door.

Afraid I don't have a diagram for your model, but check All the fuses, on the later model there are 2 separate ones for the windows according to the book.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19c106fd4e

Blimey, looks like blackpool tower !! :lol:

Think I would stick with the original fusing.

How do they compare for brighness with the 21w brake lights, any real difference or could it cause confusion for folk behind ?

Afraid I don't have a diagram for your model, but check All the fuses, on the later model there are 2 separate ones for the windows according to the book.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19c106fd4e

Blimey, looks like blackpool tower !! :lol:

Think I would stick with the original fusing.

How do they compare for brighness with the 21w brake lights, any real difference or could it cause confusion for folk behind ?

you know, you were right. it was the lock-out all along! i have not used it since i discovered what it did about 6 years ago, and i assumed it only locked out the passenger controls not mine!

an example of jumping to conclusions based on coincidences..

the LED bulbs are not as bright. i reckon i will have to clean the lights more often than normal this winter!

i had an idea of combining old and new.

if someone comes round a left hand bend and i have stopped in emergency they will see right bulb first, so it should be the brightest (std bulb). on a right hand bend they would see me sooner than a left.

having one LED on the left would still make people react quicker to my braking. or do you think that could cause confusion? surely, it could make people pay more attention to me!?