Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Turbo

AURISTR01

Been a while since I have logged on here, anyway hope your all well.

My question is the Auris 2.0 diesel turbo strong, and what make is it?

I understand the Auris is fairly new well mine is 3 years old with 70k mileage but there should be reports or feedback from owners who have had any turbo failures or issues. Have any of you had any turbo issues? I change my oil every 10k allow the turbo to warm up before using the turbo properly and allow at least 30 seconds before switch off to allow it to cool down.

Having read up on previous topics it dosent seem to be a common failure as say the FABIA vrs my previous car on briskoda many members report about the turbo failing sometimes damaging other internal components of the engine, could be because of bad remaps but many are keen to upgrade anyway.

Replys appreciated.

I doubt that you are doing your turbo any harm by allowing it warm up and cool down, but is there any instruction on the handbook to treat the engine/turbo in this way?

I couldnt confirm that for you as I dont have the handbook available since I moved house.

A couple of google searches will reveal to look after a turbo certain precautions need to be taken:

http://www.turbodevelopments.co.uk/turbo-care.php

WIKI

Reliability This section does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve this section by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (June 2010)

Turbochargers can be damaged by dirty or ineffective oiling systems, and most manufacturers recommend more frequent oil changes for turbocharged engines. Many owners and some companies recommend using synthetic oils, which tend to flow more readily when cold and do not break down as quickly as conventional oils. Because the turbocharger will heat when running, many recommend letting the engine idle for up to three minutes before shutting off the engine if the turbocharger was used shortly before stopping. This gives the oil and the lower exhaust temperatures time to cool the turbo rotating assembly, and ensures that oil is supplied to the turbocharger while the turbine housing and exhaust manifold are still very hot; otherwise coking of the lubricating oil trapped in the unit may occur when the heat soaks into the bearings, causing rapid bearing wear and failure when the car is restarted. Even small particles of burnt oil will accumulate and lead to choking the oil supply and failure. This problem is less pronounced in diesel engines, due to specifications of higher-quality oil.

A turbo timer can keep an engine running for a pre-specified period of time, to automatically provide this cool-down period. Oil coking is also eliminated by foil bearings. A more complex and problematic protective barrier against oil coking is the use of water-cooled bearing cartridges. The water boils in the cartridge when the engine is shut off and forms a natural recirculation to drain away the heat. Nevertheless, it is bad practice to shut the engine off while the turbo and manifold are still glowing with heat.

In custom applications utilizing tubular headers rather than cast iron manifolds, the need for a cooldown period is reduced because the lighter headers store much less heat than heavy cast iron manifolds.

Race cars often utilize an Anti-Lag System to completely eliminate lag at the cost of reduced turbocharger life

I doubt that you are doing your turbo any harm by allowing it warm up and cool down, but is there any instruction on the handbook to treat the engine/turbo in this way?

There is for the Avensis D4D (at least for cooling down after high speed work).

Turbo failures whilst not totally unknown do seem to be very rare.

I've just changed to an Auris from a Fabia VRS and i'm not duly worried if the turbo is going to break, you are looking after yours it seems, as you should, so don't worry. The Fabia turbo only failed due to very high mileage or wrong oil being used. Hopefully Mr Toyota has designed a reliable turbo for many years to come.

Out of interest was your Fabia VRS Standard?

Mine was standard the Auris dosent feel as torquey as the Fabia VRS mine is the Auris 2.0d, the Fabia was better in the MPG department as well. Although the Auris seems to be rev happy for a diesel in my opinion.

The reason I sold it is because it needed alot of maintenance the odd sensor issues and turbos known for failing although mine didnt fail in the year I had it just worried me so I changed to the Auris, as I thought an extra grand on a turbo replacement, and cambelt changes. I put an extra grand in after selling the Fabia and got the Auris instead peace of mind to be truthful.

Which Auris have you got and how do you think they compare?

Out of interest was your Fabia VRS Standard?

Mine was standard the Auris dosent feel as torquey as the Fabia VRS mine is the Auris 2.0d, the Fabia was better in the MPG department as well. Although the Auris seems to be rev happy for a diesel in my opinion.

The reason I sold it is because it needed alot of maintenance the odd sensor issues and turbos known for failing although mine didnt fail in the year I had it just worried me so I changed to the Auris, as I thought an extra grand on a turbo replacement, and cambelt changes. I put an extra grand in after selling the Fabia and got the Auris instead peace of mind to be truthful.

Which Auris have you got and how do you think they compare?

I agree with everything yousay mate. Had a Hybrid turbo on the VRS and was 200bhp 320ft. Ft.lbs. torque, felt like a Hothatch to drive, very involving and fun. My needs changed, You can't legally tow with a VRS so bought a T180 just as a family and towcar car for my Westfield. It's an OK car but so boring, the seats are rock hard but it has all the extras which come in handy. Wife drives it 95% of the time and agreed with me thats it's not involving to drive. MPG not to good either but I'm hoping a EGR clean out will solve that. The reason why it doesn't seem punchy is the car is heavier and torque is spread out evenly throughout a wider rev range, good for cruising around town in almost any gear and good for towing. I'm beginning to think I should have bought an Octavia 2 TDI but fancied a Change of brand (Never had a Jap car before)we'll see how the legendary Toyota reliability goes.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links