Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yokohama Geolander G91 Tyres

paulmel

Hi all,

Could anyone confirm if the above titled tyres are summer only ?

I only ask as I am in the process of getting 4 new tyres, and having had these tyres on since buying the car new, and being more than happy with them, was surprised to be told by a local mobile tyre fitter that they were summer only tyres and would be no good if we were to get some of the white stuff.

When we got the snow last Christmas felt they were great for grip etc., Rather than disagree with a man who supposedly knows what he's talking about (being his trade and all that), thought I'd ask the forum.

Cheers.

I had summer tyres on my last car and they performed great in the snow. I just get all round tyres now and aint had any probs

Geolanders are all weather tyres. They should be just fine !! I bought dedicated winter tyres as when I need to travel I need to travel and its important.. Winter tyres will handle the conditions much better and offer a far greater degree of safety braking steering ect ect. But if You are only travelling to and from work and locally do You really need them ??

Commuting between Scotland and the Midlands places a different set of needs for Me.. If I were just driving locally I would not have bothered.. I/We love to go up to Glencoe in the Highlands in Winter so this is another important factor for Us at least..

If We were travelling with a car full of Kids that would also be a factor but We aren't..

HTH

Wee Charlie.

Hi all,

I only ask as I am in the process of getting 4 new tyres, and having had these tyres on since buying the car new, and being more than happy with them, was surprised to be told by a local mobile tyre fitter that they were summer only tyres and would be no good if we were to get some of the white stuff.

When we got the snow last Christmas felt they were great for grip etc., Rather than disagree with a man who supposedly knows what he's talking about (being his trade and all that), thought I'd ask the forum.

Cheers.

Mobile tyre fitter either knows nothing about tyres or knows only too well and is trying to sell you something you probably don't need.

I too had the original Geo's on last winter [and will have this winter too]

Unless you are in a particularly hilly area or an area prone to excessive and prolonged snow and low temps you should be fine.

I think its the Fawlken FK452s I use and they were no problem last winter on ice and snow.

Geolandars are all seasons tyres.

But i used to have two sets both for summer and winter.

Cheers

Hi all,

Cheers.

Mobile tyre fitter either knows nothing about tyres or knows only too well and is trying to sell you something you probably don't need.

Unless you are in a particularly hilly area or an area prone to excessive and prolonged snow and low temps you should be fine.

I'd tend to agree. I can't help feeling that the trade (car & tyre dealers) have latched onto this winter tyres issue as a neat way to crank up their revenues. I appreciate that they are legal obligation in some mainland countries but, let's face it, some of our Euro cousins are simply dyed in the wool bureaucrats who love nothing better than lots of rules & regulations - don't forget these are the lovely people who gave us the EU Commission for Chrissakes.

More to the point, if you look at the regs in those Euro countries in which winter tyres are mandatory, the permitted fitment is M&S OR tyres with the snowflake symbol. It's also interesting that winter tyres are not mandatory in Norway & Italy, two countries with pretty severe winter conditions (Italian Alps, not Rimini!). Bearing in mind that my Dueller M&S's comply with the Continental definition of mandatory winter tyres, why would I go to the expense of "snowflake" tyres, especially when they performed just fine over the last two winters when we had a few weeks of severe conditions? The more I read about this winter tyres matter, the more convinced I am that it's just another con to squeeze more money out of us.

Bearing in mind that my Dueller M&S's comply with the continental definition of mandatory winter tyres, why would I go to the expense of "snowflake" tyres

No-one's forcing anyone in the UK to pay-up for winter tyres.

M&S is not to any recognised standard, so any manufacturer can put the symbol onto any kind of tyre.

Snowflake-on-a-mountain winter tyres are to a recognised standard, with softer compound to help in low temperature, snow, ice, slush, etc., driving.

I know from personal experience they make a huge difference (even on AWD).

You pays your money and takes your choice. If you think we're stoopid forking out for them, I'm happy with that :D

Hi all,

Cheers.

I'd tend to agree. I can't help feeling that the trade (car & tyre dealers) have latched onto this winter tyres issue as a neat way to crank up their revenues. I appreciate that they are legal obligation in some mainland countries but, let's face it, some of our Euro cousins are simply dyed in the wool bureaucrats who love nothing better than lots of rules & regulations - don't forget these are the lovely people who gave us the EU Commission for Chrissakes.

More to the point, if you look at the regs in those Euro countries in which winter tyres are mandatory, the permitted fitment is M&S OR tyres with the snowflake symbol. It's also interesting that winter tyres are not mandatory in Norway & Italy, two countries with pretty severe winter conditions (Italian Alps, not Rimini!). Bearing in mind that my Dueller M&S's comply with the Continental definition of mandatory winter tyres, why would I go to the expense of "snowflake" tyres, especially when they performed just fine over the last two winters when we had a few weeks of severe conditions? The more I read about this winter tyres matter, the more convinced I am that it's just another con to squeeze more money out of us.

Kinda sorta partly almost agree with you, Jimbob, that there is deffo some clever sales and marketing going on here, maybe even some judicious price fixing. My Bridgestone Runflats performed impeccably well over two mingin' winters, but to be fair I was not like CF, having to travel to far distant land like That England for business reasons.....furthest I went was twenty miles away on mainly major trunk roads, some of which were kept semi-clear.

I would however stress that there are some pundits hereon whose say-so that they make a big improvement would in themselves convince me to have a set, had I budgetted to have them this year. I am more swayed by fellow member recommendations than tyre seller hype...The Treaded Marsky :lol: / Bluevortex / Chickley Fickley more recently.

Bear in mind I have just fitted the new Yokohamas...so I wait in trepidation....

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Hi all,

Cheers.

Kinda sorta partly almost agree with you, Jimbob, that there is deffo some clever sales and marketing going on here, maybe even some judicious price fixing. My Bridgestone Runflats performed impeccably well over two mingin' winters, but to be fair I was not like CF, having to travel to far distant land like That England for business reasons.....furthest I went was twenty miles away on mainly major trunk roads, some of which were kept semi-clear.

I would however stress that there are some pundits hereon whose say-so that they make a big improvement would in themselves convince me to have a set, had I budgetted to have them this year. I am more swayed by fellow member recommendations than tyre seller hype...The Treaded Marsky :lol: / Bluevortex / Chickley Fickley more recently.

Bear in mind I have just fitted the new Yokohamas...so I wait in trepidation....

Big Kev :thumbsup:

I've been doing circa 30K miles per year all over the north of England & Scotland over the past 4 years (& particularly the last two winters) in the RAV & in an LC4 using Duellers & Dunlop Grand Treks respectively. No problems, never got stuck or had any "oh *****!" moments because of "inadequate" M&S tyres and never failed to get where I was going.

I have not said that anyone is "stoopid" for fitting "winter" tyres, I'm simply saying that the sudden hype in the UK appears to be driven by identification of a market opportunity. As Marsky has said, M&S may not be a recognised standard but tyres so marked are legal in those Euro countries where winter boots are mandatory so what does that tell you about the whole winter tyre argument?

Maybe I'm just an old cynic but there is a distinct whill of BS about the whole thing......

Bearing in mind that my Dueller M&S's comply with the continental definition of mandatory winter tyres, why would I go to the expense of "snowflake" tyres

No-one's forcing anyone in the UK to pay-up for winter tyres.

M&S is not to any recognised standard, so any manufacturer can put the symbol onto any kind of tyre.

Snowflake-on-a-mountain winter tyres are to a recognised standard, with softer compound to help in low temperature, snow, ice, slush, etc., driving.

I know from personal experience they make a huge difference (even on AWD).

You pays your money and takes your choice. If you think we're stoopid forking out for them, I'm happy with that :D

Ah was typing whilst you were posting....4 mins apart....spookful. :eek:

Maybe I'm just an old cynic but there is a distinct whill of BS about the whole thing......

The reason you think it's a marketing ploy is quite simple, winter tyres have never been available in the UK until last year when you could not buy one for love nor money

Now they are available then of course they will be marketed, people invest in a product and want to sell them. I have about £10K worth of tyres on the shelf, I want to sell them, I'm in business to sell

The fact is winter tyre will stop you much quicker in the wet/slush/snow when temperatures are below 7 degrees, it is not BS, it is fact. Now winter tyres are available, people want to change tyres for a multitude of reasons, safety being just one aspect

Kingo :thumbsup:

The reason you think it's a marketing ploy is quite simple, winter tyres have never been available in the UK until last year when you could not buy one for love nor money

Now they are available then of course they will be marketed, people invest in a product and want to sell them. I have about £10K worth of tyres on the shelf, I want to sell them, I'm in business to sell

The fact is winter tyre will stop you much quicker in the wet/slush/snow when temperatures are below 7 degrees, it is not BS, it is fact. Now winter tyres are available, people want to change tyres for a multitude of reasons, safety being just one aspect

Wonder how many trucking companies fit winter tyres? Only takes one careless trucker ;) and it doesn't matter what tyres the rest of us have on our cars...............

I think the key issue here is whether You need these tyres or not ?? Also consider Yours and Your family's safety ??

Yes of course one careless trucker or any other motorist could influence whether or not You get to open Yer crimbo pressies this Year.

I try to load the dice in My favour as much as I can and the rest is left to fate..

To go and spend 6 or 800 quid for just a few trips to Tescos is just daft.. For those Whose living is reliant on getting around the choices are less.

I think it was Redross when discussing this very issue said His Wife is on or coming up to maternity leave.. I was just thinking.. Please buy a set of the best You can get Please.. He did !! Awesome !!!!!................................. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wee Charlie.

I think the key issue here is whether You need these tyres or not ?? Also consider Yours and Your family's safety ??

Yes of course one careless trucker or any other motorist could influence whether or not You get to open Yer crimbo pressies this Year.

I try to load the dice in My favour as much as I can and the rest is left to fate..

To go and spend 6 or 800 quid for just a few trips to Tescos is just daft.. For those Whose living is reliant on getting around the choices are less.

I think it was Redross when discussing this very issue said His Wife is on or coming up to maternity leave.. I was just thinking.. Please buy a set of the best You can get Please.. He did !! Awesome !!!!!................................. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wee Charlie.

Wholeheartedly agree Charlie - depends entirely on individual circumstances :thumbsup:

I wouldn't dream of arguing against the laws of supply & demand. I'm also in business to sell my services (& I have to travel lots to do so) so I don't fail to grasp your point. What I do find interesting is the fact that I can recall lots of pretty crappy winters over the past 40 years when driving on ice & snow was par for the course at some time during the winter in the UK and we managed to deal with it on old Michelin ZX radials & the like without all ending up in fatal collisions. We had to drive according to the conditions & the limitations of the eqpt.

My point was driven by the comment from the original poster regarding the tyre supplier telling him the Geolanders were summer tyres and that, by suggestion, if he valued his life (& those of his progeny) he'd pass on those & fit some (much more expensive) winter boots, plus the articles in Autocar last week about manufacturers like Audi & Toyota offering menu pricing options on winter tyres (with & without wheels) and hotel facilities for "summer" tyres. I can imagine that there are lots of tyre suppliers out there willing to tell just enough such porkies to warrant a tidy return from punters who mostly haven't got a clue & think that just because a dealer/tyre supplier is in the trade he actually knows what he's talking about. The argument that "they must be a good idea because Europeans fit them by law" is undermined just a tad by the fact that any M&S tyre is legal under the winter regs in those countries, so obviously Geolanders ( and Duellers & Cross Tracs & Scorpions et al) are fit for purpose & consequently are more than adequate in our winter climate. I'm not against progress and no doubt, in time, we'll have tyres that have all the benefits of the snowflake items & the ability to wear very well all year round. Meanwhile my Duellers & the like (& Big Kev's Yokos) have been just fine.

Having said all that I would accept that there are rwd BMW's that would definitely benefit from grippier treads in the snow.

Having said all that I would accept that there are rwd BMW's that would definitely benefit from grippier treads in the snow.

I'm hoping so :)

And so the more traction you can get in winter, the better, and that goes for AWD too.

Like I said, I have had experience of AWD M+S and AWD snow icon winter tyres on a Mazda 6 AWD and on a T180, and I know the improvement in traction and in stopping that the snow icon winter tyres give.

You have tried both too and believe differently.

We'll agree to disagree.

I wouldn't dream of arguing against the laws of supply & demand. I'm also in business to sell my services (& I have to travel lots to do so) so I don't fail to grasp your point. What I do find interesting is the fact that I can recall lots of pretty crappy winters over the past 40 years when driving on ice & snow was par for the course at some time during the winter in the UK and we managed to deal with it on old Michelin ZX radials & the like without all ending up in fatal collisions. We had to drive according to the conditions & the limitations of the eqpt.

My point was driven by the comment from the original poster regarding the tyre supplier telling him the Geolanders were summer tyres and that, by suggestion, if he valued his life (& those of his progeny) he'd pass on those & fit some (much more expensive) winter boots, plus the articles in Autocar last week about manufacturers like Audi & Toyota offering menu pricing options on winter tyres (with & without wheels) and hotel facilities for "summer" tyres. I can imagine that there are lots of tyre suppliers out there willing to tell just enough such porkies to warrant a tidy return from punters who mostly haven't got a clue & think that just because a dealer/tyre supplier is in the trade he actually knows what he's talking about. The argument that "they must be a good idea because Europeans fit them by law" is undermined just a tad by the fact that any M&S tyre is legal under the winter regs in those countries, so obviously Geolanders ( and Duellers & Cross Tracs & Scorpions et al) are fit for purpose & consequently are more than adequate in our winter climate. I'm not against progress and no doubt, in time, we'll have tyres that have all the benefits of the snowflake items & the ability to wear very well all year round. Meanwhile my Duellers & the like (& Big Kev's Yokos) have been just fine.

Obviously the point made to the OP was a load of claptrap and anybody giving duff advice deserves what they get, whether its from a tyre seller or estate agent! :lol:

The Geolander might be a good choice for some, but I would suspect not for the majority.

I would agree that in years gone by we would drive to the road conditions, in fact, what we probably did was stay in and not go out on roads that were blocked with snow, nowadays, we must be mobile, with millions of cars on the road, many many motorists will just not be able to cope, and for a number of reasons. Firstly, many people cannot reverse a car, let alone drive it safely in bad conditions, many will have tyres that are at or very near the legal depth, and as we all know, a tyre is pretty much hopeless at stopping you in the wet well above the 1.6mm legal limit, more like 3.0mm and it is ready for changing.

I see winter tyres as a benefit to a lot of people, not the people who can hardly drive in the dry, but to many people like yourself who travel our roads a lot and need to be able to keep going. There is a bit of a misconception about winter tyres, one which goes along the lines of, well if I have winter tyres I can't get stuck in snow, WRONG, winter tyres are not going to stop you getting stuck, but they will be better at handling wet/sleet/slush and snow BELOW 7 degrees because that is how they are designed to perform

The worst thing I can see from selling winter tyres will be marketing departments telling customers how good their all year round tyres are in winter, not selling a specific winter tyre, but making an all year round tyre look good for winter use, I suspect you will see a lot of that going on when the winter tyres we have are all sold out for the season

The worst thing I can see from selling winter tyres will be marketing departments telling customers how good their all year round tyres are in winter, not selling a specific winter tyre, but making an all year round tyre look good for winter use, I suspect you will see a lot of that going on when the winter tyres we have are all sold out for the season

The worst thing will be paying for a set of winter tyres and the temperatures stay at 11'C - and that was last night in Lanarkshire. Amazing considering its November and we are further north than Moscow.

Getting colder by the weekend though :thumbsup:

Did you know?

Summer tyres wear faster than winter tyres when the temperature drops below 7 degrees

Air temperature is crucial to your tyres ability to perform and when the temperature drops below 7°C the tread compound in normal tyres begins to harden and gives you less grip. The tread compound on winter weather tyres contains more natural rubber to minimise the hardening effect, which gives them extra grip in cold, wet and icy conditions.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links