Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Suspension Springs

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi All

I have a question in regards to Suspension springs, do they eventually wear out? My Rolla has done 44,500 miles, sometimes i feel like it sits low, especially while carrying 3 passengers at the back, and sometimes i feel it remains sitting low for a while after carrying heavy items in the boot. :unsure:

Is it worthwhile replacing them? Also do you think springs off a 2005 hatch would be the same as a 2006/07 or are they dependant on model, litre, etc! :blink:

I look forward to some professional advice. Thank you. :thumbsup:

your shockers are what return the suspension back to the normal ride hight after a bump or carrying a load. They do lose there effectiveness overtime. Its part of the MOT check so should be picked up if its bad. I think all they do to test it is push down and each corner of the car and see if the suspension 'rebounds' to the right hight and doesn' bounce. Im not a mechanic tho so don't quote me on it. lets see what other people say. :thumbsup:

its the spring that does the rebound the shock does the damping hence " damper ". at 45 k i really wouldnt want to be changing them. the mot will as luke said test the damping effect and check the shocks for leaks or play in the bushes or insert and will check the springs for fit and condition. unless you have a major obvious problem then its quite safe to say they are all ok :thumbsup:

Hey Sam,

Have changed a few shockers over the years, at 5 years old and typical mileage they will have some wear on them, but the bounce test really only works on shockers that are totally duff.

If you took yours out and then compared the pressure/ resistance with new ones you would feel the difference.

Renewing them now would give a better ride, but is it worth the money now ?

As long as they do not show any fluid leak under the rubber boot they shold be fine.

Same for the springs, probably even longer to loose their properties, though worth checking you don't have a broken one.

Thought you were looking to lower the suspension not so long ago ??

it would be absolutely silly to change the damper or spring at this mileage they last well over 100K miles depending on how they've been used but I must say Toyota springs and dampers are either by design or by accident really resilient, they can really take some loads and not be hurt by them.

THANKS all for the input...

Just to add i have found a full set of Genuine Corolla suspension springs for £30 delivered...Now i know you all say i don't need them...BUT are they worth while me buying them just to keep? I think thats cheap, but what do you think? :help::eek::help:

All suspension springs settle with age and loose their ability to return to their normal length so expect thye suspensiion to get a bit lower over time. Once spring is manufactured it will begin to deteriorate immediately very gradually but as time goes on they tend to get tired just as you would if you had to help hold up around a ton and a half weight.

Plastic coated springs will retain their elasticity longer as the metal will not be subjected to the same amount of corrosion.

I hear many people say that shock absorbers will affect ride height. Bull**** - only if they are damaged or seized. It is recommended to replace springs when the shockers are replaced - after all they no longer match do they.

If the right test equipement is available shockers can be tested for return resonance. Some decent MOT testing stations have such kit.

THANKS all for the input...

Just to add i have found a full set of Genuine Corolla suspension springs for £30 delivered...Now i know you all say i don't need them...BUT are they worth while me buying them just to keep? I think thats cheap, but what do you think? :help::eek::help:

yeah thats cheap but will be a wasted 30 quid. you will probably go way over 80k before they need doing. mines on just over 70 now and there is no problems at all. spend the 30 quid on some thing that you can enjoy now :thumbsup:

Please dont waste your money, your car is far too young to warrant replacement springs it will do twice that mileage and then some before they require changing.

Please dont waste your money, your car is far too young to warrant replacement springs it will do twice that mileage and then some before they require changing.

^ finally someone who agrees with me and knows what they are rabbiting on about. Changing suspension springs and shocks at mileages we are discussing here should be simply unheard of!

You guys are the best...thank you so much...i'll let those suspension springs go then...were cheap for £30.00 but i'll spend it on something i can enjoy now! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

If you haf standard compressor shockers the convo would be so different! £30 compared to £890 for each shocker lol.

However as said above you have nothing to worry about.

If you haf standard compressor shockers the convo would be so different! £30 compared to £890 for each shocker lol.

No ways is a...let me get this right...A TOYOTA COROLLA COMPRESSOR...shock absorber...£890 for each shocker :wacko: !!!!!!!!!!! Did you mean £89 for each one???

I would absolutely die to have the Compressor (its sucha sexy beast, calm down Sam!) but if thats how much parts cost for it...i would literally...DIE! :fear: lol

That's correct Sam and I don't think you can even get them anymore

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links