Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Ts Or Civic Type-R ?

vova88

hi i am thinking to buy an new car but dont know witch one civic type R or corolla TS both are very good cars but what are the negative things about corolla TS ?

Hello, being a compressor owner i'm not sure i'm the best to answer this question...

One of my mates used to own a CTR and he loved it, the vtec i mean. Very quick and having driven both the vtec is more noticable than the lift in my compressor. The compressor is faster.

The CTR he had was completely standard and handled really well (as well as any hot hatch can) but again i would say my Comp handles better, it does have uprated suspension.

I would say the main difference has to be inside the car where the CTS is better equipt, and generally a much nicer place to be.

It is said the CTS is a bit soft but not owning or driving 1 in standard form i couldn't really tell you how much softer it is than a CTR.

Personally i think the CTS looks better, will be slightly cheaper to run and insure.

However the CTR is a great drivers car and loves to hit the vtec.

I had the same dillema when buying my comp (i did want a golf gti) but looked into the CTR.

I would not change my decision as my car has exclusivity and doesn't attract the prying eyes of the theives.

I have had no real issues at all with my Comp (6 months ownership).

I may be biased but go Toyota :)

cts all the way! have been in a type r and yeah its a really good drivers car on the limit but id say that the cts is an all round better car if you just want to go from a to b with the occasional "spirited" driving which becomes a lot more frequent as you go along. vtec is a bit more aggressive, it has slightly more torque thanks to it being a 2l. the cts is insurance group 14 (cat 1 alarm as standard) where as the ctr is group 17 ( paying for that badge)! reliability is about the same, both bullet proof if there treated well. the ride on the ctr is very hard (harder than my cts even though its been lowered). if you go for a pre face lift cts you can have it in 5 door, ctr is 3 door all the way. every one wants to race you in a type r as they know its quick, nobody even knows the t sport exists so its a cool wolf in sheep's clothing and its technically more powerful as it has over 100 bhp/litre and with a smaller displacement. as above the kit inside is much better although the ctr's seats are a lot more supportive which i think the seats are a right let down in the corolla. id say the biggest negative when compared to the type r is lack of tuning products :crybaby:

The Civic Type R is much better to drive fast than the Corolla is standard, that said its more expensive to insure. The Corolla's suspension as standard is too soft for a hot hatch and this really spoils the handling, adding a set of lowering springs makes a world of difference and transforms the cars handling from luke warm to hot hatch status. Performance wise there's nothing in it as standard, it comes down to the driver. The corolla does have the smaller engine but its potency above 6200rpm really makes up for it. There's not a lot of aftermarket options for the Corolla though as it just doesn't have the same following as the Civic does.

Corolla Pro's

Pretty damn quick

Very understated - a bit of a sleeper

Quite well equipped (Climate control etc)

Lower insurance

Cheap to buy

Corolla Con's

Poor handling without modification

Not a great deal of torque - slightly less than the Civic with its 2.0 engine

Bit thirsty - most average around 30mpg generally and 35-38mpg on a long run

Just depends on what your looking for really, hope this helps

I don’t know anything about the T-sport but I owned a 2006 civic type R premier before I changed for a family car. You won’t get a better hot hatch at that price, it’s the pound for pound king. I have nothing bad to say about it and the maintenance side is spot on, just make sure the oil is topped up then it will keep you happy for a long long time.

Driving wise, what can I say that you don’t know, it’s a bit sluggish at start because of the torque, but once the VTEC kicks in, your head gets pulled back and the engine screams. But be careful as this is not kind to your wallet.

Fuel wise 20-25mpg is the norm, you put about £50 in and you can probably get about 200-250 miles out of it. I suspect this is the least of your worries as you’re in the market for sports car anyway.

All in all, there is nothing wrong with buying a CTR. Just beware of the Cat C/D and uncherished examples on the market.

Good luck

ty for your tips and i got 1 more question if i buy an corolla TS without compressor is it still worth to buy it ? there are 2 version of TS one with compressor and other just an VVTL-I

I drove them both the CTS AND CTR back to back, I've driven a fair few T-Sports as I used to work for Toyota and I've owned a fair few Hondas I used to be a proper Honda nut.

I expected to dislike the CTS and want the CTR but I thought I should try the CTS as you can get a newer and more looked after example for the money so I tried both back to back, this is what I thought

CTR

I love the look of the CTR I think they look great but the first thing that struck me was the interior was pretty damn terrible, extremely plasticy and hollow feeling, pant peeling off parts of the interior and the seats were flimsy and bobbling.

Driving it was a better experiance but I didnt really understand what all the fuss was about, it was quick but I found it a bit dull compared to previous Hondas I've owned, the change over was smoothed out the car was almost silent and it felt a little disapointing, the main thing I liked about the CTR was the typical Honda gear box and the brakes were superior to the CTS

CTS

First of all you cant compare the pre facelift, the handling of the pre facelift really lets it down so this is facelift only.

The facelift is a rare car so I love the fact that no one knows what it is. The first thing that struck me about the CTS and what I had forgot about as it was five years since I worked for Toyota was the interior build quality, it is miles ahead of the CTR, hard plastic and firm seats with no wear. The car also sounds so much nicer, it has a throaty tone to it and upon putting my foot down I was really surprised at how quick it felt, the changeover was more aggresive and the sound was awesome. The kit level is what won it for me, all the toys and trim level you get in the CTS over the CTR. The CTR does have much better gear box and brakes though but thats it, other than that the handling etc all seemed very similar

Basically you should try test driving both, you might not be bothered about kit level and prefer to have a more well known car, personally I wanted the extra toys but with a high revving engine and better interior and I like the fact its the underdog so the CTS won it for me

ty for your tips and i got 1 more question if i buy an corolla TS without compressor is it still worth to buy it ? there are 2 version of TS one with compressor and other just an VVTL-I

From what I have read on here the compressor can have problems with the supercharger which can cost and you do not feel the kick in lift with them from the vvtl-i as much as you do with the standard t sport.

Think I am right in saying this hope it helps with your choice, personally I would not change for a compressor quite happy with my standard t sport even if it is a pre facelift.

Very nice car, try and find one with the leather interior over the cloth it is much nicer inside.

• Like 1

what you need is a test drive and decide for yourself. one work for others won't work for you. both cars have different characteristics and both are quick enough for real world driving conditions.

A/C as an optional extra... pffffttt

climate control all the way!

optional extra - yes but most of the CTR have this already.

my current car and previous cars all have climate controls and i never really use it. if i set it at a particular temp, the blower goes crazy.

People looking to show off go for TypeRs, people looking to blend in with normal traffic until the moment when it matters go for the TSport.

The Type R is a outward show of speed, it tells people you have a fast car, and with that comes attention, sometimes bad in way of police etc

The TSport is conservative in its looks, nobodys turning heads at such a grown up car and with that comes a lack of attention, which is fantastic when you see the look on the face of some when you hit lift

Thats why i baught mine anyway, im sure others would disagree, but i like the stealth, the wolf in sheeps clothing, the look that i'm driving a sensible and grown up car.

i've never owned either but if i was to look at them how they come out of the factory unmodified and then add to that my driving experience of both personally i'd say civic type-r any day of the week. but as i say i've never owned either, i disagree with both engines on a fundamental level (high revving, no torque) but that's a debate in itself; many many people who own them love them and reliability wise both will be similar if not the same, jap reliability is usually bulletproof!

what you need is a test drive and decide for yourself. one work for others won't work for you. both cars have different characteristics and both are quick enough for real world driving conditions.

i drove an 1.4 corolla and an civic i like them both i onw an auris 1.4 i am very happy with auris but ist little bit slow it suck that thet dont make an auris TS :(

you need a test drive in the cars you want to buy, the 1.8 VVTI/2.0 VTEC/1.8 supercharged all have different characteristics.

I would test drive both, when I was choosing what car to get next, I looked at all sorts, from leon cupra Rs to saab 9-3 aero turbos, never test drove the leon down to insurance been higher, the civic type R for me was an extra 600 a year then the TS i ended up with, it will come down to personal preference. like many have mentioned I love the fact that no one really knows what it is, and that there arent many on the roads either (ssaying that ill see loads now :(:()

hey , i went for CTS because i was origenaly looking at civic sports (for insurence around 1000-1200 per year ) and did a few quotes fount a CTR 53 plate was 3259 to insure but My 51 plate CTS is 1000 to insure , 2 grand in my pocket for 10 hp and 20 flbs less? but far better interior exclusivity and economy the decision was simple im far better off with this car :thumbsup:

i love CTR's for the looks etc but when i go to my local jap car meet , theres 10 of them and one of me :toast: i stand out at shows and blend-in in traffic

police dont even take a second look at me witch is wierd for a "boy racer"

long story short

drive them both make up your own mind

S c o t t y

Im with anonyx i bought mine because no one knows what they are you get those stupid wee boys in the 1.6 eco vtec civic thinkin they can blow past you but when you hit lift there face drops. I got my t sport to be different you can put money on seeing atleast 2 type r's a day but not a t sport. Cheaper to run cheaper to insure for the sake of 7bhp LOVE IT

• 3 weeks later...

I agree highly I like to be different thats why I got my T sport. They are just as quick as the type r the only thing is tuning parts are hard to come by E.G am trying to find an after market ecu and other mod parts ;)