Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Depth On New Tyres

dwilson

I have just measured the depth on my new Aygo and after 900 miles I have about 6.5 mm.

I expected more on what are essentially new tyres.

I think I will go and measure the spare wheel but wondered if anyone else had found the tread lower on the Continental tyres on the Aygo than other new tyres?

Any thoughts welcome (I think !)

David

About 8mm is the average, what are you measuring it with? Off the peg depth gauges are not always that reliable, especially as they get older and may get dropped a few times

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/231717/tread_depth_gauges_test.html

Auto Express did a feature on them

Kingo :thumbsup:

About 8mm is the average, what are you measuring it with? Off the peg depth gauges are not always that reliable, especially as they get older and may get dropped a few times

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/231717/tread_depth_gauges_test.html

Thanks - I have measured again and the fronts are about 6.5 mm but a bit more on the back.

I am using a digital vernier caliper which I believe to be accurate - more so than the tread depth gauges although I do have one of those too.

Perhaps the Aygo is heavy on front tyres? Seems odd.

David

Thanks - I have measured again and the fronts are about 6.5 mm but a bit more on the back.

I am using a digital vernier caliper which I believe to be accurate - more so than the tread depth gauges although I do have one of those too.

Perhaps the Aygo is heavy on front tyres? Seems odd.

David

Well answering much of my own question - the depth of the new tyre in the boot is a nominal 7mm (it varies abit but is around 7mm, slightly lower in parts).

I know that other new tyres do have more tread...can't be an industry standard.

David

If you have Continentals on the front don't be surprised if they wear quicker than you expect for what is a very light, low powered city car. After 8,000 miles ours were down to 3mm.

I normally change at about 3mm, but rears were at 5mm so I swapped them. After 13,000 all four needed replacing. I've changed them to much harder compound Toyos and after 3,000 miles they are barely worn.

If you have Continentals on the front don't be surprised if they wear quicker than you expect for what is a very light, low powered city car. After 8,000 miles ours were down to 3mm.

I normally change at about 3mm, but rears were at 5mm so I swapped them. After 13,000 all four needed replacing. I've changed them to much harder compound Toyos and after 3,000 miles they are barely worn.

Thanks - I will keep an eye on them - I am amazed that I may need to change after 13000 miles but at least I now know it is likely. Have you noticed any change in fuel consumption with the Toyos ?

Cheers,

David

None at all - it still does 45mpg on its regular 5-6 mile a day urban run. 60+ when it gets a decent run out.

Continental state their tyres are fuel savers, they may be, but it depends on what they are comparing them to. I don't see how thay can be that good as they are too soft (IIRC wear rated at 230) and saving a few quid in fuel is no good if you need new tyres every 8-10,000 miles as opposed to every 20,000+ with a harder compound - Toyos are rated at 400.

My B class has Michelin Fuel Savers and they are also wear rated at 400. To me this makes sense - a hard tyre will be less resistant than a soft one so use less fuel.

None at all - it still does 45mpg on its regular 5-6 mile a day urban run. 60+ when it gets a decent run out.

Continental state their tyres are fuel savers, they may be, but it depends on what they are comparing them to. I don't see how thay can be that good as they are too soft (IIRC wear rated at 230) and saving a few quid in fuel is no good if you need new tyres every 8-10,000 miles as opposed to every 20,000+ with a harder compound - Toyos are rated at 400.

My B class has Michelin Fuel Savers and they are also wear rated at 400. To me this makes sense - a hard tyre will be less resistant than a soft one so use less fuel.

Thanks I will make a note to try Toyos when I need them. My previous car was a Prius and after 24000 miles on Bridgestone low rolling resistance tyres they still had more than 3 mm of tread on the fronts and more on the rear.

How many miles are other people getting from their Aygo tyres?

David

My tread was down to 6mm on the front and 6.5mm on the rear after 4,000miles. Unused spare was 7mm.

It is clear the tyres were never 8mm. On previous Corolla they were 8mm from new.

It must be the way the car is driven because I have only ever used Contis and I have been averaging 20,000+ miles per tyre with the most worn ones on the front axle.

And the roads where I live are like the surface of the moon.

Thanks for your replies. I suppose at least the tyres are less expensive than on larger wheels but I am surprised how few miles they are lasting.

David

It must be the way the car is driven because I have only ever used Contis and I have been averaging 20,000+ miles per tyre with the most worn ones on the front axle.

And the roads where I live are like the surface of the moon.

Maybe but the 7 mm from new is independent of the driver and fewer mm than other tyres. Still 20000 miles is more like it :thumbsup:

David

The tyres on my Aygo lasted for 30,000 miles - Continentals. Just recently changed - I've been very impressed with the tyres!

You guys must be thrashing the little car to wear them at 8000. I have done 10010,, it was serviced about a week ago, front are at 5.5 and rear at 6. Think thats pretty good!

Tyre pressures maybe?

Lower pressures tend to increase tyre wear rate while higher pressures reduce it. That said, inflating them too high will lead to increased centre-line wear.

If you're getting lots of edge/shoulder wear, increasing the pressures will deffo help.

I tend to go a few PSI above the highest recommended as a fuel-saving measure to lower rolling resistance.

Tyre pressures maybe?

Lower pressures tend to increase tyre wear rate while higher pressures reduce it. That said, inflating them too high will lead to increased centre-line wear.

If you're getting lots of edge/shoulder wear, increasing the pressures will deffo help.

I tend to go a few PSI above the highest recommended as a fuel-saving measure to lower rolling resistance.

I'm old skool and do boring stuff like measuring tread wear &

rotating wheels to different corners one a year to even out wear.

After owning our 2 Aygos for a total of 7 years, I've found running the

tyres at 34psi Front & 32psi Rear gives very even wear.

Running the fronts at standard 32psi tended to wear them more on the shoulders.

Keeping tyre pressures correct is also very helpful for fuel economy.

Ian.

I'm old skool and do boring stuff like measuring tread wear &

rotating wheels to different corners one a year to even out wear.

After owning our 2 Aygos for a total of 7 years, I've found running the

tyres at 34psi Front & 32psi Rear gives very even wear.

Running the fronts at standard 32psi tended to wear them more on the shoulders.

Keeping tyre pressures correct is also very helpful for fuel economy.

Ian.

Yes I measure tread frequently too and adjust tyre pressures accordingly. I had set the pressures at 32psi but after discovering the wear on the fronts that appeared to be more on the shoulders I have adjusted to 34 psi. Thanks for your information Ian: I will reduce the rear oressures back to 32psi if the centres start to wear more than the shoulders.

I am still surprised that the tread was only 7mm when new - is this normal for this size tyre or just on Continentals?

David

I was surprised how quick pressure is lost from tyers. At work there is a airline for tyres. I do mine every 10 days and they all loose about 4psi. I put 33 all round, and then usually all end up at 29. Before this I never used to bother, but shows how much difference it can make!

I was surprised how quick pressure is lost from tyers. At work there is a airline for tyres. I do mine every 10 days and they all loose about 4psi. I put 33 all round, and then usually all end up at 29. Before this I never used to bother, but shows how much difference it can make!

That sounds a big difference in 10 days. Has this been happening for long - if so I wonder if the tyres are sealed ok or if the alloys are porous? I did once have a new tyre put on at a Toyota garage that lost pressure and Kwik@@@ had to reseal for me - ironic as I paid more at the dealers and I thought they would take more care!

The only changes I notice are with temperature: the pressure decreases as the temperature decreases (with smaller volume tyres on the Aygo this will probably be more noticeable than say on my wife's RAV)

David

What time of day do you check them? I only inflate mine when the car has been sitting for a few hours.

The manual's stated 32 PSI is, I think too low. Curiously, they specify 34PSI for driving over 100mph which is something that can only be done in a standard Aygo either downhill of with a tail-wind.

Its usually about 23:30 after the car has been sitting about 10h ish I think nitrogen would be better then air, but be dont have that! Either way I have even wear on both sides and the front slightly more worn then the rear, which is as expected. On their current wear rate they should be ok till about 25000

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links