Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recalls

K19NE G

Hi all,

Well, my missus has had her iQ 2 1.0L manual a week today and absolutely loves it... we aren't so happy with Jemca Toyota however as we're still waiting for a cash-back cheque of £4,200 in respect of the part exchange car, a scratch on the roof to be repaired, the aerial to be replaced (as it seems to have been chewed by a dog) and a set of mats and the glove box have to be provided by them!

I also checked the Toyota site for the recalls and it says: We have identified that your Toyota is subject to a voluntary customer service campaign or outstanding safety recall. This can be rectified at no cost, by contacting your local Toyota Centreor call us on 0844 701 6202 to arrange a time at your convenience.

Should any recalls not have been done prior to us purchasing the car? If not, could anyone list all the recalls that are applicable to ours? I've searched and can see something relating to the brakes and trip computer but it's a bit hazy after that!!

Thanks,

G

Have you phoned the number yet to see what they say & if your vehicle needs work?

Best not to use the Toyota Dealer/Garage you do not trust to get your Recall work done.

Ask to talk to the Managing Director there and voice your displeasure tho if not fully satisfied

with the replies or outcome.

Put it in writting to him/her & copies to Toyota UK.

Enquire if from the records if your vehicle has had all recall works carried out, (do that at any Toyota Dealer)

& if not why did the Toyota outlet allow the vehicle to pass to a new owner without having been done.

Pass copies of your letters and replies to your Local Trading Standards.

good luck with it all.

george

George,

Do you happen to know what the issue was, with the trip copmuter recall

Cheers

David

It only went up to AVG MPG 66, instead of 99 mpg.

Really not a problem IMHO as it is never actually going to do 99mpg,

& only stays above 66 MPG for a short while before boredom sets in.

george

George,

Do you happen to know what the issue was, with the trip copmuter recall

Cheers

David

David, As far as I am aware the trip computer fault was not a recall issue.

It was changed to remove the 60mpg limit only if owners reported that they were unhappy with it.

I think a lot of the first run of IQs still have the original trip computers and the owners don't realise there is a fix available.

It does mean the odometer mileage is effectively reset to zero, as the whole unit is replaced, which to me is not an ideal situation.

John

Hi all,

Well, my missus has had her iQ 2 1.0L manual a week today and absolutely loves it... we aren't so happy with Jemca Toyota however as we're still waiting for a cash-back cheque of £4,200 in respect of the part exchange car, a scratch on the roof to be repaired, the aerial to be replaced (as it seems to have been chewed by a dog) and a set of mats and the glove box have to be provided by them!

I also checked the Toyota site for the recalls and it says: We have identified that your Toyota is subject to a voluntary customer service campaign or outstanding safety recall. This can be rectified at no cost, by contacting your local Toyota Centreor call us on 0844 701 6202 to arrange a time at your convenience.

Should any recalls not have been done prior to us purchasing the car? If not, could anyone list all the recalls that are applicable to ours? I've searched and can see something relating to the brakes and trip computer but it's a bit hazy after that!!

Thanks,

G

G, In my IQs case, bought in Feb 2009, it has been subject to three recalls I think, maybe I have forgotten one!

One was the "fly by wire" accelerator problem, which in my case was not relevant as the accelerator pedal was the "good" type.

Another recall was the power steering fault which in my case involved a software update but others have had their whole columns changed with varying degrees of grief associated with that.

The other recall was to have the brake master cylinder changed due to dirt being allowed into the system during manufacture.My car was subject to that one.

The 60mpg trip computer fault, as mentioned before, I don't think was dealt with by a recall.

You should be able to find out what has been done to your particular car, or what needs to be done, from a good dealership or Toyota GB via their computer records.

Hope that is of some use.

J

Hi all,

Thanks,

G

G, In my IQs case, bought in Feb 2009, it has been subject to three recalls I think, maybe I have forgotten one!

One was the "fly by wire" accelerator problem, which in my case was not relevant as the accelerator pedal was the "good" type.

Another recall was the power steering fault which in my case involved a software update but others have had their whole columns changed with varying degrees of grief associated with that.

The other recall was to have the brake master cylinder changed due to dirt being allowed into the system during manufacture.My car was subject to that one.

The 60mpg trip computer fault, as mentioned before, I don't think was dealt with by a recall.

You should be able to find out what has been done to your particular car, or what needs to be done, from a good dealership or Toyota GB via their computer records.

J

Cheers John. I have given up with the odometer/trip/fuel meter. It is far too ambiguous On one recent event it said I had only got 126 miles on a full tank and showed it flashing for 30 miles. Having run out a couple of weeks before , I tried filling it up only too find I could only get £20 in the tank so have taken to making a note of the odometer and fill again after 280 miles.

David

Hi all,

Thanks,

G

J

Cheers John. I have given up with the odometer/trip/fuel meter. It is far too ambiguous On one recent event it said I had only got 126 miles on a full tank and showed it flashing for 30 miles. Having run out a couple of weeks before , I tried filling it up only too find I could only get £20 in the tank so have taken to making a note of the odometer and fill again after 280 miles.

David

David, Your post just reminded me of another IQ problem.

The fuel sender/tank units were faulty in earlier cars and the fuel input pipe and sender unit had to be changed as the gauge readings in some cars were becoming completely erratic, as mine was, so that was another job to be done.

I don't think it was a recall, but it is an official fix if owners complain about odd fuel readings in older cars.

So that makes 3 recalls, a sender unit change and a faulty trip computer replacement in 2 and a bit years (The EGRV is another issue yet to be addressed in older cars, if at all).

Hope my new one is not so bad!

John

http://jemca.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?navRoot=toyotaDealers&dealerId=G01045&nodiv=true&fullwidth=TRUE&noLeftMenu=true&forceText=%3cnone%3e&edname=as_YourToyota&id=as_YourToyota&zone=Zone+Ownership&sr=0

OR

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

Recall Details 1

Concern : ACCELERATOR PEDAL MAY FAIL TO RETURN TO IDLE

Description : It has been identified that on affected vehicles, condensation resulting from cold-weather use of the heater or other causes may form on the worn surface of a component within the throttle pedal assembly known as the friction device. If this occurs, there is a possibility that, in the worst case, the accelerator pedal may return slowly, or does not return to the engine idle position.

Remedial Action : Recalled vehicles will have a precision-cut steel reinforcing bar fitted into the accelerator pedal assembly, which will create a space in order to reduce the surface tension between the friction device, and a component referred to as the pedal arm. The subject bar also strengthens the reaction force of the spring that returns the accelerator pedal to it's non-pressed position.

Recall Details 2

Concern : ELECTRIC POWER STEERING SENSOR MAY MALFUNCTION

Description : If the vehicle is driven over/on certain types of roadside safety side strips (Rumble Strips), it is possible that the Electric Power Steering (EPS) control unit could incorrectly interpret the signal from the sensor. This could result in the need for the driver to apply extra effort into steering the vehicle under some driving conditions.

Remedial Action : Recall all affected vehicles and either reprogramme the EPS control unit or the replacement of the steering column and control unit.

Recall Details 3

Concern : BRAKING EFFICIENCY COULD BE REDUCED

Description : Due to possible contamination within a brake pipe on right-hand drive vehicles, foreign material can potential enter the brake master cylinder and cause damage to the brake seals. This can result in a reduction of braking efficiency and increased brake travel.

Remedial Action : Recall all affected vehicles, where the brake master cylinder and offending brake pipe will be replaced.

Got a letter today from MR T

They claim that as an added measure, they re-check a percentage of the vehicles that have received a recall and whoopee mine has been selected .They want me to book it in and wait for it for an hour and for this lovely service i am giving them in my time, they are offering me a free full valet at my next service or, a car care kit.

Well this is how I see it, The recall was for SAFETY issues so should have been un -questionably resolved, not maybe needing to be checked again. Any safety work should be counter signed by another person and the work checked. My recalls were in 2 stages and at no time was I offered a courtesy car, nor was I compensated for all the time I spent taking my car backwards and forwards. Now they are implying that they can't trust one another to do the job properly. What bit of 4 x half days @ approx £350 for their drop off do they think we can all afford? 2 days holiday to me is worth a lot more than a car cleaning kit. Now I know some of you would be saying, I am lucky because I will have peace of mind. Well I did have peace of mind before they put doubt in it by highlighting they can't trust their staff to do it right first time every time.

MMMM maybe I could swap my car care kit for the chocolates they didn't send last time

David

I didnt recieve the chocolates so I wrote to them, two days later the chocs arrived but I wasnt missing much! Gave them away cos they werent to my taste!

Hi all,

Thanks,

G

J

David

David, Your post just reminded me of another IQ problem.

The fuel sender/tank units were faulty in earlier cars and the fuel input pipe and sender unit had to be changed as the gauge readings in some cars were becoming completely erratic, as mine was, so that was another job to be done.

I don't think it was a recall, but it is an official fix if owners complain about odd fuel readings in older cars.

So that makes 3 recalls, a sender unit change and a faulty trip computer replacement in 2 and a bit years (The EGRV is another issue yet to be addressed in older cars, if at all).

Hope my new one is not so bad!

John

Sorry John didn't see your post.

reckon I have a duff sender as its completely erratic In fact some times i use say trip A and it says a tank full of fuel has lasted 280 miles and another time 150 but if you do the maths the actual amount on the odometer is nothing like it.

David

David,

If the previous owner didn't get the filler pipe/sender unit changed then it couldn't do any harm to get it changed now.

Maybe they could do it when checking all the other remedial work has been done correctly....?(Unless you have already had that done)

John

David,

If the previous owner didn't get the filler pipe/sender unit changed then it couldn't do any harm to get it changed now.

Maybe they could do it when checking all the other remedial work has been done correctly....?(Unless you have already had that done)

John

i'm kinda getting like I don't like them touching it. I haven't called them to check the recall work because i find it insulting. Also its not easy to tell them what you want done under warranty because they want to waste your time investigating it. I can see that if i get an EGRV fault as I have the old one . Its going to be a nightmare while they play at being engineers

David

I know how you feel.

I think the EGRV problem is potentially very dangerous if it is as bad as people have reported on here.

To lose power drastically just when you need and expect it, is a nightmare situation.

I think I would write to Toyota GB and see what they say (could pretend it happened to you and frightened you a bit).

I have had very good service when I have written to Customer Relations in the past.

I know how you feel.

I think the EGRV problem is potentially very dangerous if it is as bad as people have reported on here.

To lose power drastically just when you need and expect it, is a nightmare situation.

I think I would write to Toyota GB and see what they say (could pretend it happened to you and frightened you a bit).

I have had very good service when I have written to Customer Relations in the past.

Cheers John good advise will take it and write to them.

David

Thanks for all the replies peeps! Toyota did come back to us and confirmed the one recall the car was called in for was carried out but Mrs Kane-to-be didn't ask what it was! A few things I have noticed though are:

• when the fuel gauge is reading empty, it only takes £30 to fill - this can't be right surely?
  • when parking the car and turning the steering wheel, there is a squeaking/groaning noise from the steering column - has anyone else experienced this?
  • lastly, the passenger side window seal is tucked inside and the glass has trapped it for so long that it is now deformed and I can't get it to it's original position

The car is going in Monday to hopefully have all the above resolved, get our free mats, hopefully a free glove bag and a couple of minor paint issues sorted :)

Gary

No idea how much your fuel costs.

Say £1.30 a litre.

*I was paying £1.28.7 this week at Asda Dundee*

Block flashes,(Light comes on type thing)

you might still have 6-7 litres in the tank

& you stop & fill up untill the Pump cuts out.

You put in only 23 litres,(5 gallons) that is £30.

(£1.33 a litre you get 22.5 litres or so)

Or say like some might do,

Your last block blinks/comes on and you fill untill you have to keep starting/clicking the pump & see the petrol. (Briming or Brim to Brim checking)

30 litres say that is £39.

Depends your price & how you re-fuel surely.

32 litre tank (7 gallons) 1 gallon up the tube (36.5 litres

@ £1.30 litre = £47.45 but you are never going to fill from empty.

george

A few things the window top seal is a known fault. Mine was the same on purchase and was replaced under warranty. My steering 'groans' at the end of its travel but i put mine down to putting the extra load on it having 215 tyres. Maybe its a feature. Let me know how yours comes out. Cheers

David

Thanks for all the replies peeps! Toyota did come back to us and confirmed the one recall the car was called in for was carried out but Mrs Kane-to-be didn't ask what it was! A few things I have noticed though are:

• when the fuel gauge is reading empty, it only takes £30 to fill - this can't be right surely?
  • when parking the car and turning the steering wheel, there is a squeaking/groaning noise from the steering column - has anyone else experienced this?
  • lastly, the passenger side window seal is tucked inside and the glass has trapped it for so long that it is now deformed and I can't get it to it's original position

The car is going in Monday to hopefully have all the above resolved, get our free mats, hopefully a free glove bag and a couple of minor paint issues sorted :)

Gary

Gary,As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there is a fix for erratic fuel gauge readings, if indeed yours is not consistent.

It is not a recall, and the owner has to report the fault.(Mine actually read reasonably well for about 18 months and then went crazy to the point where I had to rely on the odometer to tell when it was time to refuel)

It involves changing the fuel tank sender unit and the filler pipe.

Yours may already have been done of course..the gauges are a bit iffy even after the fix.

John

I think the fuel gauge accuracy is a well known quirk with the iQ. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it really starts to take the wet.

I have encountered the steering wheel noise, happens quite a bit. I can't explain why it does it but it doesn't seem to be causing any harm. Mine sounds more like plastic trim rubbing together. It only seems to occur when parking and using a lot of lock on the wheel. I haven't noticed it recently but that could just be me having learnt to ignore it. It's definitely not the tyres and dry steering causing it, as tyre noise is completely different. I always try to avoid dry steering when possible.

Never heard of the window seal problem until now but good to know about these things.