Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wrong Vin Number

zecolleman

Hi I am new here thank for good site.. I own a 2001 corolla wagon 1.6L. I found this toyota site https://auth2.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/home when i was looking for owners manual and I entered my vin number and the site say is not toyota vin number.. Does anyone know why this is?? my vin does not seems to match this ether http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Numbers_(VIN_codes)/Toyota/VIN_Codes

thanks

Two things spring to mind....

1) you mistyped the number

2) your vehicle is stolen/cut n shut or otherwise not strictly kosher...

Try either one of these 'check my number' type places or your local plod.

Hey,

Where are you getting the Vin number from - the Log book or the cars chassis ?

The Vin number is usually stamped on the engine bay bulkhead and around the door pillars, either stamped on the floor or on printed labels on the door pillars. - they should all agree with the log book.

Might be worth checking the engine number with the paper work as well.

Sounds like you have not had it long, did you run a HPI type check before buying ?

Thanks guynecologist this works :-) and now it seems that I own 1999 model and not 2001 like the papers here show.

Is this right for sure?? I read see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toyota_engines#Straight-4 that the 3ZZ did not come until 2000 so how can my car be 1999 then?? here is the vin number if someone can read somthing out off it JT172ZEB203001532

And the vin is the same in all locations? On the dash (visible through the windscreen) stamped on the body in various places?

If the vehocle had been built in october and sold in January, that would explain 2000 and 2001, but I wouldn't have thought that a dealer would have had a car for over a year especially as you say your model did not arrive until a year after it was registered!

Still sounds dodgy to me I'm afraid.

Is this right for sure?? I read see here http://en.wikipedia....ines#Straight-4 that the 3ZZ did not come until 2000 so how can my car be 1999 then?? here is the vin number if someone can read somthing out off it JT172ZEB203001532

That car was built in December 1999, build dates and sale dates are two different things

Kingo :thumbsup:

And the vin is the same in all locations? On the dash (visible through the windscreen) stamped on the body in various places?

If the vehocle had been built in october and sold in January, that would explain 2000 and 2001, but I wouldn't have thought that a dealer would have had a car for over a year especially as you say your model did not arrive until a year after it was registered!

Still sounds dodgy to me I'm afraid.

How long a car stands after it's build can be a while, a dealer mate of mine informed me of this before as they stockpile cars he said you could buy one that has been standing for a couple of years even though it is showing new number plates.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links