Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

No Front Sensors Can Be Fitted On A Ipa Prius The Reason Why Is?

blue verso 56

I have finally got an answer from Toyota to the reason why front sensors are not compatible with the T-spirit Prius with IPA the reason is

[It is due to the activation switch for the IPA being located in the same place as the cancellation switch for the front parking sensors would need to be fitted. There is no alternative position for this switch to be placed.

I cannot really understand this reply there are 3 blank switches next to the headlight adjustment switch so why one of these blanks cannot be used I do not know ?I would appreciate a reply from other forum members who has more in depth knowledge of the Prius to explain why this would be a problem .I feel this is a rather poor excuse and surprisingly a source of lost revenue for Toyota

Many years ago I had a mk4 Cortina 1.6L. The wiring loom was exactly the same as the 2.0L ghia.

Could be that the same is possible for the Prius, One loom does all grades and options. This would, in theory, preclude the addition of certain options as the wiring is already in place for a different option

???

Similar logic to that which makes Toyota say that 5W-30 and 0w-20 oils are OK for the Gen III, but not 0W-30. Stupidity, or we don't sell it, so you can't have it.

None of that is consistent with the switch positions in my Gen3 TSpirit.

In my car, the IPA switch is a rectangular switch to the left of the steering wheel.

The isolating switch for the front parking sensors is a circular rocker switch with an integral red warning light. It's to the right of the steering wheel and just to the left of the card slot.

The two switches are a long way apart and are such different shapes that there is very little chance of confusing one with the other.

I ordered my T-Spirit with front sensors. When it was delivered it had rear sensors and the salesman was very apologetic. A man came out a few days later to fit them at my home. I was able to choose where the sensor switch was mounted and had it put under the central console on the right hand side of the fascia to the right of the Aux power socket. The fitter was concerned that the position of the sensor beeper/control unit might possible interfere with other electronics behind the passenger footwell side panel. It does not seem to have caused any problems at all. However, I have now discovered that the sensors are not covered by the car warranty, which I was not told on ordering the car. That may be a matter of interesting discussion should a problem occur!

That was exactly the point inspiredon I would not even consider having the sensors fitted if Toyota did not approve them and were not subject to the 5 year warranty so I have ruled them out now but thought Toyota's reply may be of interest to new prius owners who are looking to have front sensors fitted

Not including the Hybrid system, are all other electrics covered for 5 years by the Toyota 5 year warranty ?

I've previously owned Fords and electrics, interior fittings, exterior trim and alloy wheels were only covered for the first year of the 3 given.

The front sensors on my car were ordered and supplied as part of an order for a new vehicle and as far as I am aware are covered by exactly the same warranty as covers those parts of the vehicle other than the hybrid system components. The supply and installation of front sensors on the T-Spirit is clearly an option covered in the 2009 brochure, but things may have changed since.

Does this enquiry have any real purpose? I want to be helpful, but I do seem to have answered these questions several times.

Well Sagitar you have confirmed that sensors can be fitted and do work which is very helpful but for some owners who prefer to fit accessories which are approved by Toyota and benefit from the 5 year warranty it is still a grey area .

Makes perfect sense. if the loom expects the switch to be where the IPA switch is, then that is where it must be (at the factory). Aftermarket you can of course put any switch anywhere.

Thanks Flaninacupbaord for your explanation yes it makes perfect sense as why it is a such a problem

Thanks Flaninacupbaord for your explanation yes it makes perfect sense as why it is a such a problem

well, if you say so, though it has little to do with the reality of my experience.

Page 38 of the July 2009 New Prius brochure lists the "genuine Toyota accessories" available for the Prius. It includes the "Toyota Parking Aid, front 4-sensor system" that I specified as part of the order for the new T-Spirit Prius that was eventually delivered to me, complete with four, working, front sensors, in September 2009. There is absolutely no question of this being after-market kit, which is why I say with confidence that it is covered by the warranty also listed in the July 2009 brochure.

As I have already said, the switches for these "genuine Toyota accessory" front sensors and the "Intelligent Park Assist" are some significant distance apart. So unless Toyota deliberately modified the wiring harness to preclude the fitting of front sensors, it is difficult for me to see why it has anything to do with the harness or the switch position.

I understand what you are saying Sagitar and fully agree with you but it does now say in the Prius 2011 brochure that front sensors are not available for the T-spirit but as you pointed out yours were fitted by Toyota just as the front and rear sensors were fitted to my previous car a Verso as a dealer fit option .

I fully expected Toyota to come back and say that the Front sensors on a T-Spirit Prius may cause the IPA to malfunction and they were edging on the side of caution in case of liability claims against Toyota and which you could understand there reluctance to fit them but from the reply I received this does not seem to be the case

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links