Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best car for little money challenge

Steve

So for a bit of fun it would be great to see what we can buy out there for little money. There are a lot of cars out there that are going for peanuts and there are some real tasty performers too. So here is the challenge, what could you buy from http://www.autotrader.co.uk for 3000 quid or less? The winner will be based on performance and price. It can be any brand and must be road legal.

Post your answers and even a link if you can. Remember it has to be under 3k.

Auto trader is throwing a hissy fit because i don't have a UK postcode to give it lol.

Still what could one buy - its like being a little boy in a sweet shop lol

However its hard to overlook the appeal of a big luxury motor such as a Lexus LS 400 - refinement, comfort and power for very small money. Find out why BMW, Jaguar and Mercedes got the fright of their lives way back in 1989/90 when this baby bust on to the scene.

Then theres a Volvo T5 - 850s (could buy 2 of them), S/V70s and S60s - should be a good motor - bear in mind the traffic cops have being driving the :censor: out of them at high speed since around 1995. So if you managed to avoid those and have one owned by a normal driver - they should manage the shopping trip to Tescos with ease. The best thing about them is they look so innocent - most people haven't a clue what these Volvos are capable of. They also have nice interiors if you find one with leather.

Id avoid Mercs at this money though because they had serious quality issues including rust and electronic issues and i suspect many sub 3 grand ones are from that bad era from around mid 90s right up to around 04/05. A shame because the 99 to 06 S Class was a stunning looking car and by all accounts when they work properly - drive as good as they look.

Red diesel

agreed mate.. mine went like a rocket

What is this, Top Gear? :lol:

Hmm, where's that place Clarkson got that car for £1 from? :naughty:

@Red diesel - I remember when they were racing those in touring cars! :lol: Always funny watching those two estate cars racing with the best of them :lol:

What is this, Top Gear? :lol:

Hmm, where's that place Clarkson got that car for £1 from? :naughty:

@Red diesel - I remember when they were racing those in touring cars! :lol: Always funny watching those two estate cars racing with the best of them :lol:

Just goes to show - performance on the race track doesn't always reflect who a car will perform on the road away from the race track, you might remember that the Volvo estates were competing at the same time Alfa Romeo were dominating the British touring car championships with the 155 with the massive spoilers that pushed the rule book to its limit.

The Nissan Primeras being raced at the time in the BTCC (this was a few years before the Primeras did very well in it) didn't do very well.

Yet as road cars both the P10 Primeras and T5 Volvos were way ahead of the Alfas, the traffic cops weren't exactly racing down to the Alfa dealers to buy 155s for high speed pursuits lol.

Red diesel