Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

54 Plate D4D Driveshaft Replacement

MitchC

Afternoon all. I have to replace the CV joints on a friend's Avensis and would like to know if it's easier to change them with the shafts on the car or completely removed? I had a search for a how to on here but no luck so far.

Thanks in advance.

Afternoon all. I have to replace the CV joints on a friend's Avensis and would like to know if it's easier to change them with the shafts on the car or completely removed? I had a search for a how to on here but no luck so far.

Thanks in advance.

Hi mate, all will be revealed in this .pdf file that I have attached from the Toyota Avensis service manual.

DRIVE SHAFT & PROPELLER SHAFT.pdf

Regards Pete.

Thanks. It shouldn't be a problem once the shaft is off, I'll just use a slitting disc and chisel if the BFH method fails.

Hi mate, all will be revealed in this .pdf file that I have attached from the Toyota Avensis service manual.

DRIVE SHAFT & PROPELLER SHAFT.pdf

Regards Pete.

Hi Pete, do you have section 30-6 from that please?

Hello again, can't locate it but 30-6 refers to the link which connects the stabilizer drop link between the suspension leg and the anti-roll bar and is just a nut on a ball joint. Anyway I have attached a .pdf of the front suspension which includes it. ;) Hope this helps mate.

Regards :thumbsup: Pete.

FRONT SUSPENSION.pdf

No worries. I did the job today and they did need cutting off. For anyone who wants to know, the outer CV joint can be accessed simply by removing the wheel, tie rod balljoint and the two nuts and a bolt that hold the lower balljoint. Then just pull the hub assembly out of the way and you're in.

Only issue I had was a wheel stud sheared when it went back together. No crossthreading or heavy handedness, just normal tightening and one snapped off. Anyone got the part number for a new one from Toyota to hand please?

they will always need cutting off as on the inside of the CV joint is a metal clip which clips in place,

The design is one way, so once its on it wont come off.

Part number for Bolt HUBs.

43502D BOLT, HUB (FOR FRONT AXLE LH)

90942‑02049

Thanks very much. It's still making a rumbling noise on bends, so maybe the wheel bearings need looking at too.

Thanks very much. It's still making a rumbling noise on bends, so maybe the wheel bearings need looking at too.

Rumbling noise is probably the bearing,

which way do you turn when you get the rumbling.?

and why did you replace the CV joint / shaft?

Bad bearings can also damaged driveshafts and joints.

Mainly on left hand bends, so figured it was the outer CV joints. It is quieter but still there. Are the front bearings an easy change or is it better to swap hubs?

Mainly on left hand bends, so figured it was the outer CV joints. It is quieter but still there. Are the front bearings an easy change or is it better to swap hubs?

If the cv joints are worn when you turn slowly you will hear a click click noise, on full lock.

If the bearings are bad, it will rumble. If you turn to the left and it rumbles it is the left bearing.

Replacing a bearing is easy,

You will need a Vice or a bearing pusher and puller.

Steps you need to use,

1 - Remove Wheel, caliper, pads, hub pin, rear bolts and remember to support drive shaft!

2 - Extract bearing with a puller

3 - Inspect inside of the hub (where the bearing sits)

4 - Oil and clean the inside

5 - place the bearing flat and push the bearing in. Now sometimes this step is easier to do if you take it to a garage with a hydralic press. OR a good strong vice will have good results.

Reverse it and you have a new bearing in your HUB.

Problem is the scrapyard hubs maybe high miles or damaged.

Most will not take the used part back.

Thanks again. So can I get just the bearing itself at a motor factors as I've only seen the units for sale like this...?

$(KGrHqQOKnUE1OOdY9lBBNe5VMF7rQ~~_12.JPG

Scratch that, I've just found a load with a different search. For a 54 plate diesel D4D, is it the CDT250 code I'm looking for? There are so many different model codes but I wouldn't think they'd all have different bearings.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_kw=avensis&_kw=front&_kw=bearing&_dmpt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

Scratch that, I've just found a load with a different search. For a 54 plate diesel D4D, is it the CDT250 code I'm looking for? There are so many different model codes but I wouldn't think they'd all have different bearings.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_kw=avensis&_kw=front&_kw=bearing&_dmpt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

From 1998 to 2003 same bearing but diffrent hub.

from 53 reg onwards to 55 Reg, they use the same bearing and hub.

they change again with the introduction of the 1ad-ftv and 2ad-ftv engines.

Your car code is CDT250

buy a good bearing.

• 1 year later...

Hi lads.. very sad day for me today.. just broke passenger side drive shaft on half :( . Does anybody know if driveshaft from 1,6 vvti(03-05) would fit my 1,8 vvti? All scrapyard around have driveshafts from 1,6 avensis only but no one have from 1,8vvti ..dont know what to do now. Thanks in advance.

• 6 years later...

I don't know why everyone is saying you have to cut the shafts off because off the so called one way pin, it's misinformation and they can just be knocked out, I know this because I've just done it.... 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links