Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starter Motor Won't Engage And Driver's Door Wont Lock

786innovation

Hi,

Today when I got into my car and turn the key, I could hear relay ticking sound but starter motor didn't engage or start? Battery is fine. I drove yesterday every thing was fine, starts every time with half self,. I have been maintaining it well. The other thing was that Driver's side door wasn't locking. I was only able to lock other three doors with remote key. I locked driver's side door manually with key. Any body has any clue.. what will be the problem.. do I need to check fuses and relays? how do I check starter motor (self motor)? Please help me to resolve this issue. thanks in advance

car specifications are.. toyota avensis 1.8 VVTI hatchback 2001 72k miles on clock

Hi,

Today when I got into my car and turn the key, I could hear relay ticking sound but starter motor didn't engage or start? Battery is fine. I drove yesterday every thing was fine, starts every time with half self,. I have been maintaining it well. The other thing was that Driver's side door wasn't locking. I was only able to lock other three doors with remote key. I locked driver's side door manually with key. Any body has any clue.. what will be the problem.. do I need to check fuses and relays? how do I check starter motor (self motor)? Please help me to resolve this issue. thanks in advance

car specifications are.. toyota avensis 1.8 VVTI hatchback 2001 72k miles on clock

hi firstly you have to check with Battery acid density to be assured and exclude Battery from issues chain.

secondly - stasrter clicking might be resulted it needs solenoid to be serviced/greased;

in third -- sometimes the starter primer gear can not be engaged due to braking effect between solenoid inner liner with stem (due to possible rust or so);

in forth - what feeding voltage comes to the starter?

Cheers/Igor

• Like 1

Hi,

hi firstly you have to check with Battery acid density to be assured and exclude Battery from issues chain.

secondly - stasrter clicking might be resulted it needs solenoid to be serviced/greased;

in third -- sometimes the starter primer gear can not be engaged due to braking effect between solenoid inner liner with stem (due to possible rust or so);

Cheers/Igor

Thanks igor for yourkind and detailed reply. Thank God, problem is sorted out. It was just Battery down. I had to start car with jump leads and now it is fine. The only problem is I couldn't find the reason for battery to go down. I always check lights and every other thing before locking car. The only thing I leave is mobile charger which I leave it plugged in. I don't think this will be the reason. I checked battery shortage as well.

Igor... there is another thing not directly related to this topic though, when I start car there is squeaking noise of cam belt, which reduces as the engine becomes warm. This car comes with chain cam belt so I think it doesn't need to be replaced. So can we grease/oiled the chain cam belt?? Look to your reply,

Kind regards

Hi,

Cheers/Igor

Thanks igor for yourkind and detailed reply. Thank God, problem is sorted out. It was just Battery down. I had to start car with jump leads and now it is fine. The only problem is I couldn't find the reason for battery to go down. I always check lights and every other thing before locking car. The only thing I leave is mobile charger which I leave it plugged in. I don't think this will be the reason. I checked battery shortage as well.

Igor... there is another thing not directly related to this topic though, when I start car there is squeaking noise of cam belt, which reduces as the engine becomes warm. This car comes with chain cam belt so I think it doesn't need to be replaced. So can we grease/oiled the chain cam belt?? Look to your reply,

Kind regards

hi

you have to immedidately either change of tight the cam belt to prevent engine damaging subject to valves meet pistons.

Cheers/Igor

hi

you have to immedidately either change of tight the cam belt to prevent engine damaging subject to valves meet pistons.

Cheers/Igor

thanks for your reply. I didnt understand, do I need to change cam belt or what? but I have heard that this car (1.8 toyota avensis vvti) comes with chain belt which doesn't need to change?/ please explain in details.. cheers..

Bilal

The squeal is your auxiliary drive belt.

When last has it been inspected or changed? Is the tension okay?

Konrad

The squeal is your auxiliary drive belt.

When last has it been inspected or changed? Is the tension okay?

Konrad

thanks for your reply. honesly i dont know what is and where is auxilary drive belt? i bought the car in july 2011 and it was ok. i realised this sound after I changed oil. I put oil 5w30 TOTAL fuel economy (which recommends oil chang after 5000-8000 miles), and done 2100 miles now on new oil.

This sound is not very loud,cannt hear it when I am inside car, or more than 10 feet away. it gradually disappears after the engine warms. Fuel economy is very good as well.

Whe I bought the car, in 2 months it didn't consumed even one ml engine oil. But after a mishapp, when I mistakenly put 10 litre diesel in the car. Tank was empty that time, so I full the tank with petrol (super high octane)and drove. didn't have any engine problem. since then tank has been full with super octane more than 5 times. I check engine oil every other week, on chcking I found out that oil level was reduced to minimum level. I filled it up to maximum again.

will the above incident effect engine badly? Is this squeaking sound because of diesel incident or I put thinner engine oil than recommended??

Look to your kind reply, Cheeers,

Bilal

Nothing to do with a damaged engine, it is the auxillary drive belt or in old fashioned terms, the fan belt!

Change the belt and all will be good

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi,

Cheers/Igor

Kind regards

this 1.8 engine must be provided with chain but the belt in question seems to be a driving belt for an alternator etc

even belt is broken -- no affecting to the engine. cheers/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links