Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cambelt

thecaretaker

I know I'm a old duffer and know very little about the technology inside my Prius (I just enjoy it), but does a Prius have a cam belt that needs replacing like a 'normal' car?

Nope :)

It's not quite a 'normal' car. The car has a timing chain which I believe, requires no maintenance. The gen3 Prius doesn't have a fan belt at all as all items that would traditionally be powered by this (a/c, water pump, power steering pump etc) are all electrical and powered by the HV Battery.

The benefit of this is that you can run the a/c (and heating to a point) whilst the vehicle is stationary and the engine is off. The car needs to be in 'Ready' mode though.

Thank you. That is good to know. No clutch to wear out, no cam belt to replace... it gets better and better :thumbsup:

Thank you. That is good to know. No clutch to wear out, no cam belt to replace... it gets better and better :thumbsup:

Although there's no clutch apparently it does have a clutch plate between the engine and transmission for some reason.

Although there's no clutch apparently it does have a clutch plate between the engine and transmission for some reason.

You sure about that? I thought it was the Volt that had clutches and the Prius has the engine continually connected via the hybrid system.

• Like 1

You sure about that? I thought it was the Volt that had clutches and the Prius has the engine continually connected via the hybrid system.

+1

Pretty sure there is no clutch (or clutch plate) in the Prius.

Nothing on Prius Chat or google to suggest there is one.

Someone on here described a simplistic way of how the hybrid system works - how the engine and electric motor can run individually and/or together at various rates.

The hybrid system is 'like' a differential back to front.

I'll find the link and come back later. I think it was on Prius chat, a post about transmission slip.

I think you are referring to the transaxle damper, and it is sort of like a permanently engaged clutch. I didn't know that or remember it was there. I think you deserve a few brownie points or even better some virtual chocolate brownies...

I think you are referring to the transaxle damper, and it is sort of like a permanently engaged clutch. I didn't know that or remember it was there. I think you deserve a few brownie points or even better some virtual chocolate brownies...

That's the one, thanks Timberwolf, these brownies are nice, did you make them yourself ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links