Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust Issues

mathpac

Hi everyone, I trust that someone has had this, as there are a lot of people with S/S systems on the comps.

I was told by Toyota a few months back now that I have a small hole in my exhaust. I noticed a crack on the back box so I tried to fill that one up. That's sorted. But the tone of the engine is different lately , bigger hole elsewhere maybe?? Also on the side that doesn't have a back box on the comp, there's a lot of black wet sut coming out, this means it's not burning all the fuel right?? ( other side is dry I should add....found that strange)

I just want to make sure that I don't have any major issues before I mask the problem by just sticking a s/s system on it. Should I take it to a exhaust place or Toyota? Or am I just being paranoid.... Let me know either way, I just want my baby to purr again! :D

tbh honest, the box is cheap, I chucked loads of cash and time repairing the splits and cracks, the worst bit was the rolled and crimped seam ontop of the box. if its blowing bad then the lambda will most likely be adjusting your fuel mixture compensating for the extra oxygen causing more soot then normal.

That would make sense really. As I've noticed that I'm getting quite poor mpg ( even more than usual lol) .

The rolled edge on the box is shocking fair play, I'm gonna have to patch it up again soon as it's blown again. Cant wait till payday to get a s/s , or maybe after crimbo...

So you reckon there's nothing really wrong with it, with the soot comin out. And I shouldn't worry?? If I fix the hole/ holes it should get back to normal??

yeah, mine used to be caked in soot around the splits its nothing unusual for blowing exhausts, The poor mpg is from richer fuel mix. the trouble with filling the splits is it rattles out. try get some flange sealant, its got really high melting point and is perfect for the splits, gungum is rubbish it gets too brittle and with the wet roads it works its self loose.