Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrids Becoming More Popular

Grumpy Cabbie

Just read the following article on the BBC website;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15698812

More than 18,000 hybrids have been registered in the UK so far this year, although that is out of a total of about 1.7 million cars sold, according to SMMT figures.

There's no way of telling how to break this down to model numbers but I'd be very curious to see what share of the 18k is held by Toyota. I bet it's about 17k :) . Also, I'd love to know how well the Auris hsd compares to the Prius on sales this year. The Auris was quite a seller in its first year of release and I am starting to see more of them about now.

Anyone know? (parts king?)

• Like 1

It's terrible isn't it, when I first bought my Gen2, it was a novelty and it was a rarity to see one on the road. Now, wherever you look there is a Prius or an Auris! I'm beginning to look for another novelty car!!

:help:

Any Citroen? :!Removed!:

A Vauxhall Ampera or Chevy Volt? If you really want an odd weird car then any of the Chrysler badged Lancia's might appeal? B)

• Like 1

A Vauxhall Ampera or Chevy Volt? If you really want an odd weird car then any of the Chrysler badged Lancia's might appeal? B)

:eek:

Blimey Grumpy, I said I wanted novelty, not punishment - at least Toyotas are generally reliable!

:eek:

Blimey Grumpy, I said I wanted novelty, not punishment - at least Toyotas are generally reliable!

:lol:

Perhaps you should relocate to Northern Ireland, over here the Prius is still something of a novelty.

But I know what you mean - part of the attraction for me was definitely to be driving something "a bit different".

R04drunner1

I wouldn't touch a Chevy Volt, anything made by chevrolet is a heap of dirt. I had a chevrolet matiz and it was rotten, :angry2: another member of my family had a chevrolet lacetti and it was junk too.

I wouldn't touch a Chevy Volt, anything made by chevrolet is a heap of dirt. I had a chevrolet matiz and it was rotten, :angry2: another member of my family had a chevrolet lacetti and it was junk too.

Don't forget they were both originally Dawoo's. I'm not sure when it happened, but didn't Chevrolet buy Daewoo out and simply rebadged the Daewoo range?

We don't want to see them getting too popular.

If all the diseasel monkeys start buying them, you can bet our tax breaks will disappear.

More than 18,000 hybrids have been registered in the UK so far this year, although that is out of a total of about 1.7 million cars sold, according to SMMT figures.

So about 1% of the new cars sold so far this year were hybrids. If we assume that hybrids sold less compared with conventional cars in previous years can it be concluded that the Prius would account for less than 1% of all the cars still in use?

Don't forget they were both originally Dawoo's. I'm not sure when it happened, but didn't Chevrolet buy Daewoo out and simply rebadged the Daewoo range?

I think it was GM that bought them out (they also own the chevorlet brand)and they obviously decided that the Daewoo brand name wasn't overly attractive so they simply changed the brand name of the cars in the same way that Datsuns were rebranded Nissans in the early 1980s. @Laura 2 does this mean you wouldn't want one of their V8 engined corvettes :thumbsup: . On a serious note though models within a particular brand can vary hugely. The old Datsun Stanza for example looks very similar to a late front wheel drive Bluebird for example. But the Bluebird was a vastly superior car. And the P10 Primera was completely different to those 2 cars again, as was the 1989 300 ZX Z32. Id be slow to compare a Matiz to an Ampera for example - completely different cars imo. I wouldn't want a Matiz either in fairness.

Red diesel

With regard to the novelty status - unfortunately modern cars are all very similar to each other, unfortunately the Prius, Volt and other such cars are as close as you will get to a novelty car without going to supercars and the like.

The only other way imo is to go the other extreme and go big V8 in the form of something like a big 7 series, S class or

LS 400/430/460 etc etc. But that wouldn't suit many people in terms of running costs and the size is a potential issue for town use. Still not

exactly a novelty car perhaps as theres a few of that type of car around. But most people have never had such a car so ownership and driving one

of these would be a novelty for a certain lenght of time if you were an enthusiast.

Any modern normal price car thats very rare apart from a newly realised model like the Leaf - is often very rare because its seen

as a bit errr well not very good really.

Red diesel

Totally agree Red Diesel. You hit the nail on the head. :thumbsup:

I went for Jaguars as my novelty car, they made a pleasant difference from BMW. But I could never afford a V8, best I could manage was a V6 LOL.

Story here if you are interested... http://www.ciao.co.uk/Jaguar_X_Type_3_0__Review_5812478 :)

Tsunami affecting availability, I expect.

I ordered mine in January and didn't get it until September.

There's no way of telling how to break this down to model numbers but I'd be very curious to see what share of the 18k is held by Toyota. I bet it's about 17k :) . Also, I'd love to know how well the Auris hsd compares to the Prius on sales this year. The Auris was quite a seller in its first year of release and I am starting to see more of them about now.

Anyone know? (parts king?)

There is a website which will tell you how many of any model car is or has been registered

http://howmanyleft.co.uk/

It makes for some interesting reading and goes back for several years so you can find out how many of your previous old cars are still around

It is based on DVLA archives

Also available as an IPad/ IPod application

• Like 1

My wife comes from Ukraine, the home of the Lada and she says that they dont make Ladas in those factories anymore, they make Chevrolets there instead!

I think it was GM that bought them out (they also own the chevorlet brand)and they obviously decided that the Daewoo brand name wasn't overly attractive so they simply changed the brand name of the cars in the same way that Datsuns were rebranded Nissans in the early 1980s. @Laura 2 does this mean you wouldn't want one of their V8 engined corvettes :thumbsup: . On a serious note though models within a particular brand can vary hugely. The old Datsun Stanza for example looks very similar to a late front wheel drive Bluebird for example. But the Bluebird was a vastly superior car. And the P10 Primera was completely different to those 2 cars again, as was the 1989 300 ZX Z32. Id be slow to compare a Matiz to an Ampera for example - completely different cars imo. I wouldn't want a Matiz either in fairness.

Red diesel

Daewoo bought the designs of old Vauxhall Cavaliers/Astras to make there initial models so they had very close relations to start with. Makes it very easy to re-adopt them into the fold

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links