Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Traction Control And Burning Smell - Facelift T Sport

Gamu

Afternoon all.

I'm after some words of wisdom on a problem I'm having with my facelift t sport.

With the weather in our fine country getting steadily wetter, I've found that my traction control is kicking in more and more on the greasy roads - and that's fine, except I've started to notice a burning smell in the car after every time the traction control has been activated. Based on my understanding of how traction control works on the T Sport I can only assume it's the brakes burning or even perhaps the clutch slipping, although the car has a new Toyota clutch about six months ago (dodgy release bearing) so I'm assuming, and hoping, it's not the clutch.

Just to add that my driving style is usually pretty tame, but on my way home from work there's a t-junction on a hill that usually involves me pulling off at speed to avoid being driven into, and when it's wet I often see the traction control kicking in.

Has anyone else has a similar issue of a smell after traction control has activated? Any ideas how I can tell for sure it's the brakes that are smelling, and if so then why would that be that case?

Cheers,

Gareth

This traction control does the same on most I think in the wet and snow, if you look in the book for fresh snow it says to knock it off so I do the same in the rain and it works for me.

As for the smell if the traction control is kicking in the smell could be the clutch they tend to smell a lot on the t-sport, mine is worse in reverse than it is in the forward gears for smelling although it does not like having the clutch held on hills.

what tyres do you have? the toyota system works by applying the brakes and reducing engine power, cant say on the smell as mines normally off as it does come in a bit to early :thumbsup:

I always have my traction control turned off, i feel its too intrusive on the cts. I find i have much more control when accelerating, especially in the wet. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments chaps. It's good to know that driving without traction control is a popular choice, although the fact that others don't seem to be getting the burning smell doesn't bode well...

I'm running Avon tyres which are pretty new and seem fairly decent so I don't think they are a factor, but who knows.

Cheers.

Gareth

Probably nothing to do with it but....

On the wife's Aygo we had an awful burning smell which occasioned a visit to our local Toyota dealers... I was imagining all sorts of major repairs looming...

A fitter came out to have a look - smelt it before he got to the car (I'd just driven it 8 miles so it was quite warm) laughed, knelt down an looked underneath.. stood up with an even bigger grin on his face and suggested a drive to Scotland and back to burn off the remains of a plastic bag wrapped round the exhaust....

'tis gone now... all burnt off :thumbsup:

Got to be the clutch they are aren't the best!

If you are riding it in the slightest which is easy as the throttle pedal is also very sensitive it will smell. If the wheels are spinning then you must be piling the revs on.

If you are riding it in the slightest which is easy as the throttle pedal is also very sensitive it will smell. If the wheels are spinning then you must be piling the revs on.

Who let you back in here??

:P

Ah well, the was a call for the voice of reason :yahoo:

And when does that get here? :P

And when does that get here? :P

Sell your CTS's and get Deeeeeeesallll's its the best smell of burning ;) :D

Now get back on topic super mod :nono::laughing: