Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Paint Coming Away! Warranty Doesnt Cover?

igo-ugo-wego

post-23848-0-37013200-1321354105_thumb.j So as u do when u get a brand new car u check everything...so was checking my tyres and noticed this..... the pain coming away from inside of bumper! took it back to Mr T and they sed they wud get in touch with toyota/lancaster, they got back to me today saying they are refusing to cover it under warranty! not impressed! apparantly its the 2nd white aygo its happened to, and its overspray which hasnt had te right laquer or prima applied so it doesnt take! cant say im very impressed and some complaints are going to be going to them if they dont sort it! grr

post-23848-0-37013200-1321354105_thumb.j So as u do when u get a brand new car u check everything...so was checking my tyres and noticed this..... the pain coming away from inside of bumper! took it back to Mr T and they sed they wud get in touch with toyota/lancaster, they got back to me today saying they are refusing to cover it under warranty! not impressed! apparantly its the 2nd white aygo its happened to, and its overspray which hasnt had te right laquer or prima applied so it doesnt take! cant say im very impressed and some complaints are going to be going to them if they dont sort it! grr

Sorry to hear and see this. I suppose it is only a matter of time before it happens to my red Aygo - not sure if I want to look !

David

If it's brand new it !Removed! well should be covered under warranty! Paint should not peel on a brand new car!

I'm sure "overspray which hasnt had te right laquer or prima applied so it doesn't take" should be considered some sort of manufacturing fault, esp. if it leads to bodywork corrosion later!

How long have you had it??

It won't corrode, the bumper is plastic. The answer from Toyota is not good enough. It's a manufacturing defect and needs rectifying - it will take them a day to sort it in their bodyshop. BTW no problems with our red one after almost 5 years!

oh my dealer sed its only happened to white ones because the other coloured aygos havent had the overspray or inside of bumpers coloured. they are just left as they are...had it washed today and its got worse...i guess the pressure washer is making it fall off...what i actually think my toyota company meant was they wont cover it under warranty because maybe theres nothing they can do about it, as it will just fall off itself...ive had the car 1month in 3 days so not too late to take back :crybaby: i rand customer relations who are going to get back to me apparently and the lady was rather silly...when i sed id taken it back to toyota she asked what i meant...so i replied with what do u mean what do i mean...she sed well ur ringing toyota HQ now....i felt like saying 'well i didnt bring it to ur HQ did i?! where did u think i meant... then she proceeded to ask how i found the corrosion?! wtf? dont get me wrong my company at colchester have been very good, but i dont feel its going to get very far if they do the chasing for me and neither do they, they sed i would probably get a better response if i do it myself as the customer is more important i guess...i mean if it all comes of then fine but it shudnt be like that for a brand new car to look so rough under the wheel arches...wat makes me believe the same wont happen to the actual paint work?

I'm quite surprised they even bothered to paint the back of the bumper considering it is well known area for stone chips, etc.

On most cars the underside of bumpers aren't painted and the paint from the front never reaches much more than 25 mm or so around the back.

Keep a close eye on it and if the flaking travels anywhere close to the edge then I think you will have good grounds for complaint.

But having a look at it I think most people would view it as sloppy workmanship. Either paint it correctly or leave it in its raw state.

oh my dealer sed its only happened to white ones because the other coloured aygos havent had the overspray or inside of bumpers coloured. they are just left as they are...had it washed today and its got worse...i guess the pressure washer is making it fall off...what i actually think my toyota company meant was they wont cover it under warranty because maybe theres nothing they can do about it, as it will just fall off itself...ive had the car 1month in 3 days so not too late to take back :crybaby: i rand customer relations who are going to get back to me apparently and the lady was rather silly...when i sed id taken it back to toyota she asked what i meant...so i replied with what do u mean what do i mean...she sed well ur ringing toyota HQ now....i felt like saying 'well i didnt bring it to ur HQ did i?! where did u think i meant... then she proceeded to ask how i found the corrosion?! wtf? dont get me wrong my company at colchester have been very good, but i dont feel its going to get very far if they do the chasing for me and neither do they, they sed i would probably get a better response if i do it myself as the customer is more important i guess...i mean if it all comes of then fine but it shudnt be like that for a brand new car to look so rough under the wheel arches...wat makes me believe the same wont happen to the actual paint work?

If it is where I think it is - the back of the bumper - then my red Aygo that I bought at the end of September has definitely got red paint there. I think it is very poor customer service to not want to take the opportunity of correcting a problem with your bumper on a car that is brand new - an unhappy customer will make the point of telling many people about the problem. A decent body shop could soon sort it out. Even replacing the bumper would not be a big or expensive job - if it were the insurance group would be higher.

I hope Toyota do the decent thing for you.

David

I bought my car from Colchester Toyota as well and found the customer service is terrible. I would argue the case as it surely shouldn't do that from new. Get a C1, lot friendlier......

PS, does the lack of no interior light on opening other doors get on anyone eles's nerves.....

Claire......

It doesn't matter, the bumper is plastic and the paint on the inside was never meant to be of good standard.

Its just the excess that drifted over while the outside was being sprayed.

The inside of your front bumper has NO paint but you can't see inside it very well.

If you look under your bonnet, where the top of the front wings meet the bonnet shut line,

the paint goes to exactly where it shows & no further.

The inside of the bonnet is the same. To the edge + 1mm.

This is all OK.

When Aygos are built, they undergo an excellent anti-corrosion process.

Firstly, the metal parts are very well protected.

Then, they are sprayed with just enough paint to look shiny.

The inside of My bumpers (Carbon Quartz) have even less paint than yours.

They could have none at all and I would be happy.

The outside is shiny, the inside will never rust because it is plastic.

Please, don't worry......all is OK.

Ian.

Claire......

It doesn't matter, the bumper is plastic and the paint on the inside was never meant to be of good standard.

Its just the excess that drifted over while the outside was being sprayed.

The inside of your front bumper has NO paint but you can't see inside it very well.

If you look under your bonnet, where the top of the front wings meet the bonnet shut line,

the paint goes to exactly where it shows & no further.

The inside of the bonnet is the same. To the edge + 1mm.

This is all OK.

When Aygos are built, they undergo an excellent anti-corrosion process.

Firstly, the metal parts are very well protected.

Then, they are sprayed with just enough paint to look shiny.

The inside of My bumpers (Carbon Quartz) have even less paint than yours.

They could have none at all and I would be happy.

The outside is shiny, the inside will never rust because it is plastic.

Please, don't worry......all is OK.

Ian.

yeah i agree the paint shudnt be there and that wudnt bother me if it wasnt but to 1st notice the paint flaking away on a brand new car...and i appreciate if it shudnt have been there then i wudnt know any different... but if it shudnt have been there then it shudnt be there...simple as...like a few people pointed out, it obviously hasnt gone thru quality control properly and if it had it wud have been picked up...no one shud have to see that on a brand new car whether its meant to be there or not or meant to flake off on its own, i maybe understand why they wont cover it under warranty as like u say its probably a common problem (or not according to my dealer) and will rectify itself but if the bumper had been masked up then i wudnt have to see paint flaking off my brand new car...i just see an inside wheel arch that looked grey like everyone elses

I bought my car from Colchester Toyota as well and found the customer service is terrible. I would argue the case as it surely shouldn't do that from new. Get a C1, lot friendlier......

PS, does the lack of no interior light on opening other doors get on anyone eles's nerves.....

i would say the colchester dealer itself has very good staff from my 6yrs experience :) but the HQ? they r rubbish lol...yep i do also find that annoying thought they wud have at least made that a must with the newer models lol

• 1 year later...

i would say the colchester dealer itself has very good staff from my 6yrs experience smile.gif but the HQ? they r rubbish lol...yep i do also find that annoying thought they wud have at least made that a must with the newer models lol

Claire, what was the outcome?

The paint has just lifted from the inside of my rear bumper on my red Aygo. I washed with a hose, not a pressure washer, and it just came away in a couple of patches. I know it is only plastic but it doesn't look very good.

Has anyone else experienced this?

David

Am I just unlucky, or do all owners of Aygo's have the paint on the underside of the rear bumper lifting? What do others do? I am thinking of painting it myself.

Thanks,

David

• 2 weeks later...

I have this problem. At my first visit I was told the "all white Aygos have the same problem" excuse. I told them on the next visit and someone inspected it, they then offered to paint it with anti-stone chip paint. That is also coming off but not as badly.

• Like 1

Hey, this isnt n issue as my Aygo as the same! The inside rear bumper has flaked off but it isnt the outside where its been primed and has a top coat of lacquer. I wont worry about it as my brothers Aygo, and his girlfriend who also has an Aygo has the same thing where the piant is flaking off but not on the external part of the bumper so you shouldnt have to worry.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this problem. At my first visit I was told the "all white Aygos have the same problem" excuse. I told them on the next visit and someone inspected it, they then offered to paint it with anti-stone chip paint. That is also coming off but not as badly.

I may try and paint myself or I may mention when it is serviced later this month. If it can be seen then I would like it to be either all unpainted or all properly painted. I am surprised that all Aygo owners are not complaining - perhaps I am fussier than most!

Hey, this isnt n issue as my Aygo as the same! The inside rear bumper has flaked off but it isnt the outside where its been primed and has a top coat of lacquer. I wont worry about it as my brothers Aygo, and his girlfriend who also has an Aygo has the same thing where the piant is flaking off but not on the external part of the bumper so you shouldnt have to worry.

I know it is a plastic bumper and so doesn't need paint protection so in that respect I am not worried. However I would expect a Toyota, or any other car, to look right. If it is not meant to be painted then it should not have any paint on it IMHO, not have paint drift that comes away in uneven, unsightly patches that can be seen.

Thank you for telling me that other Aygos have the same condition.

I wonder if the Citreon and Peugeot versions do the same.

David

i cant believe that it is overspray lets face it mr T is a tight **** he only sprays where it is needed and where you can see it i.e. like the slam panel under the bonnet where the bonnet catch is thats not painted, so if he is as tight as a ducks then why would he waste money putting paint on the inside of the rear bumper when its not needed surely the robots would be programmed not to paint in that area as its a waste of money??? i think your mrT is trying to riggle out of helping you.

From what I've seen on another forum, in the wheel arch area, the 107 and C1 bumpers aren't as close to the wheel and also aren't painted. So presumably the Aygo suffers from two issues - being closer to the wheel the plastic is more prone to stone impact and subsequent damage to the paint, and being painted.

From what I've seen on another forum, in the wheel arch area, the 107 and C1 bumpers aren't as close to the wheel and also aren't painted. So presumably the Aygo suffers from two issues - being closer to the wheel the plastic is more prone to stone impact and subsequent damage to the paint, and being painted.

Thanks, that's interesting - looks like Toyota didn't get that right! I think my damage was having to drive on a road that had been resurfaced by laying loose stones that accelerated the problem. Only on one rear arch though!

The car is nearly two years old and apart from that issue looks brand new! I may pass it on to one of my children but I do like having a car that costs so little to run and can be tucked away from other cars when parked.

David

Had a quick look at two Peugeot 107's (a red one and a blue one - different years) whilst passing them in our local Tesco car park, and with both the inside of the rear wheel arches, where the bumper fits, were finished in black.

Had a quick look at two Peugeot 107's (a red one and a blue one - different years) whilst passing them in our local Tesco car park, and with both the inside of the rear wheel arches, where the bumper fits, were finished in black.

Thanks for looking!

That sounds much more sensible. I will mention to the Toyota dealer when I take it in for servicing later this month and see what they say.

David

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for looking!

That sounds much more sensible. I will mention to the Toyota dealer when I take it in for servicing later this month and see what they say.

David

Finally got my Aygo serviced and asked about paint falling off of inside of rear bumper. I was given a quote for a SMART repair. When I queried this, I was today that Toyota would cover the damage as a warranty claim but I would need to take it to a bodyshop for a respray.

David

That doesn't sound quite right to me.

I would have thought that if Toyota are covering the repair under (presumably the paintwork) warranty, they would want the dealer to source the body repairer, complete the relevant warranty documentation, etc.

The only paintwork claim we made under a new car warranty was with a Honda - when we noticed that there was a six inch film of paint standing proud of the underside of the one sill. The dealer completed the warranty claim including sourcing the bodyshop, booking the car in for repair, arranging the courtesy car, etc. All we did was take the car into the bodyshop, pick up/drop off the courtesy car, and collect the car when the work was completed.

I would query this.

That doesn't sound quite right to me.

I would have thought that if Toyota are covering the repair under (presumably the paintwork) warranty, they would want the dealer to source the body repairer, complete the relevant warranty documentation, etc.

The only paintwork claim we made under a new car warranty was with a Honda - when we noticed that there was a six inch film of paint standing proud of the underside of the one sill. The dealer completed the warranty claim including sourcing the bodyshop, booking the car in for repair, arranging the courtesy car, etc. All we did was take the car into the bodyshop, pick up/drop off the courtesy car, and collect the car when the work was completed.

I would query this.

Yes the dealer was sourcing the body repairer but just phoned them up in front of me and then wanted me to take it to them to have a look at. To be honest as the dealer and the body shop are both quite a distance from home (and each other), I have said I will leave it for now but may come back later. I am still recovering from a virus that I have had for 5 weeks and at the moment I can't face the hassle! I will probably use some paint I have bought myself at some point in the future.

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links